PDA

View Full Version : can i register my boat trailer with just serial number

fishnut9
06-24-2010, 06:51 PM
Does anyone know how many digits are in a serial number for a boat trailer. I could only make out dw95008. there doesnt seem to be any other numbers after that. i cant find the vin number so is this serial number ok.

DarkAisling
06-24-2010, 07:40 PM
The serial number should be fine. Our trailer had a really weird, short, serial number and they were able to register it ($120) with that. The computer rejected the serial number at first, as we thought the trailer was a 1975. It was a 1971. The woman at the registry was able to determine what the error was, and once she did we registered it no problem.

In the event the serial number just won't compute (though it should), you'll need to pay for a VIN for it.

We were told that we'd have to bring the trailer to the registry to get the VIN plate installed (how dumb is that . . . no plate and we'd have to bring it there?).

There was no inspection of any kind for our (camping) trailer, either.

doublehaul
06-24-2010, 08:12 PM
Take your serial # to the registry office and have them see if its in the system, you will probably need the year and it will help if you have the make and model. If that doesn't work they have a form to get a new serial # for 55$. There was a post on that not long ago .