PDA

View Full Version : sylvan lake

Trey
06-24-2010, 08:21 PM
headed out there on friday for a cabin party in sunbreaker cove, never fished the area before, gonna be back on sunday. anyone have a good spot in mind, or what the conditions are like out there right now, and any other info like what to use and what types of fish ect.. would be excellent

Trey
06-25-2010, 11:37 AM
nobody fishes sylvan?

Darren N
06-25-2010, 12:20 PM
I fish the other end of the lake, and not near the town. Good for walleye, whitefish, pike. i generally use a small five of diamonds and just reel it in slow and something will grab it. One afternoon I caught a pike, whitefish, walleye, and sucker all on the same hook. I also caught the lake record two years ago for pike 18.5lbs and 40 inches long.

Trey
06-25-2010, 01:33 PM
nice work man thats a big pike

Darren N
06-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Thanks. Jigging off the bottom with a rubber jig, with or with minnow works fine as well, but with the small yellow spoon it's fun because you never know what you are going to catch. Good luck, stay close to shore as the wind can really pick up fast on that lake.

diamonddave
06-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Lake record at a tourny??

Safety D
06-25-2010, 02:56 PM
I hear its DEAD !!!!

Darren N
06-25-2010, 02:59 PM
no not a tourny record. I was asked to submit my fish specs and pictures to Alberta Fish and wildlife for a contest entry back in 2008, and then askesd what the record was. They replied that there was no other official recorded record of that size. Im sure bigger fish have been caught in the past, but nothing recorded with pictures and weights, measurments. I even had to get an Affidavat signed....

Deano85
06-25-2010, 03:25 PM
There is a drop off at rr23, its basically straight across from the sunbreaker cove. Use a jig and minnow, you can catch lots of lil walleye.

floppychicken
06-26-2010, 12:27 AM
no not a tourny record. I was asked to submit my fish specs and pictures to Alberta Fish and wildlife for a contest entry back in 2008, and then askesd what the record was. They replied that there was no other official recorded record of that size. Im sure bigger fish have been caught in the past, but nothing recorded with pictures and weights, measurments. I even had to get an Affidavat signed....

Good for you! A little surprising though... I've been there on several occasions and have seen PIKE "WELL" over 25lbs.

Cheers,

Walleyeman
06-29-2010, 11:06 AM
Guess I should have kept my measurments.Caught a 23 pounder off RR 23 two weeks ago

Darren N
06-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Guess I should have kept my measurments.Caught a 23 pounder off RR 23 two weeks ago

Nice fish ! I would of never thought of it myself if I wasn't asked. The fish you caught two weeks ago would of been a good entry for the Alberta Fish and Game Association " catch of the year". Most entries that win for Pike are around that size. My entry only fell short by a few lbs in 2008. It's also tough to have all your poop together to weigh it, measure, take pictures... when your heart is racing and your main concern is just landing it to begin with. I was also fortunate to have a good buddy to help me with that stuff, he even had to gill it by hand to get it in our canoe as we were just planning to catch and release outside our canoe. Only had a small five of diamonds on fishing for whites.

diamonddave
06-29-2010, 01:43 PM
No doubt, lots of excitement, then you forget to even take a picture of it most of the time. Just end up kicking youself for not thinking a little more. Great job, thats a nice fish.

Walleyeman
06-29-2010, 02:04 PM
It was landed on a 5'6" St.Croix with 4 lb test and no leader.Wasn't really looking for Pike :) But the time I got it in the boat I was more concerned with keeping it alive than getting the measurements.Sure wish I would have though.Oh well it was worth it

Littlejet
06-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Fishing with a bunch of kids across from Sunbreaker, I found that most of the Eye's have thier lips ripped up?? Someone has been very rough with fish there. When you hook a walleye and are going to release it "BE GENTLE" there is no reason to hurt these fish. It looked to me like someone had been using "barbed" hooks and simply ripping them out. This is too good of a fishery to distroy by being "careless":sign0176:

TJG
07-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Fishing with a bunch of kids across from Sunbreaker, I found that most of the Eye's have thier lips ripped up?? Someone has been very rough with fish there. When you hook a walleye and are going to release it "BE GENTLE" there is no reason to hurt these fish. It looked to me like someone had been using "barbed" hooks and simply ripping them out. This is too good of a fishery to distroy by being "careless":sign0176:

I assume ur just venting, cause if someone is registered here,
they more or likely know how to fish and handle fish. Sylvan has
been c+r for a number of years and most that fish here know
the regs. Seeing u live in Red Deer and fish Sylvan lots, u know
that those fish hit like freight trains, so u can assume they
will have holes in thier lips and being caught over and over...

TexasTornado
07-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Sylvan is very very slow right now, nothing is biting.............

Littlejet
07-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Yes, I was just venting. The damage I was seeing was beyond normal catch and release. Educate as many as you can on proper fish handling.

PNity
08-22-2010, 05:11 AM
Yes, I was just venting. The damage I was seeing was beyond normal catch and release. Educate as many as you can on proper fish handling.

I shoots the fish 'n the ass befores I lets 'em go! Hooks 'em nice 'n punches they eyes out!
Slyvan Lakes' a good ol' spot to get your kick-on!
Know what I sayin', boy?!