PDA

View Full Version : Fly fishing Goldeye

lone wolf
06-24-2010, 08:24 PM
I am headed to Diefenbaker with my kids this weekend. The last time we were there they had fun in the evening catching Goldeye behind the campground using slip bobbers & worms. This trip I was considering packing the flyrod.

Question - any have advice what I should use in terms of a fly for Goldeye ?

Thx.

lyons6
06-24-2010, 09:47 PM
I had alot of luck last year on the oldman useing beaded head nymphs, something with a little flash to get there attention. Hope you have a good trip, they are a fun fish to catch!

Fishingnutter
06-24-2010, 10:28 PM
year's ago, with a steamer with an offset big brown feather and sinking line.
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Muskeg
06-24-2010, 10:36 PM
I've caught most of mine targeting the other larger predators with a 1/0 and usually a small white baitfish pattern works best.. small red and white zonker would be a good choice imo. good luck

Woolly Bugger
06-24-2010, 10:48 PM
I have caught many on the Red Deer River using Hopper patterns (or any other large Dry Fly). Not sure how effective this would be on still water however.

getatmewolf
06-25-2010, 06:48 PM
I love fishing for them and have caught them on every type of fly. For the obvious excitement i usually use a hopper or simple dry like a high floating renegade which they seem to like to. Spend a good amount of time in the summers on the bow downstream of bassano when i cant make it to the mountains.

greylynx
06-25-2010, 09:59 PM
I use my "disaster flys" from my tying bench to float on top of the NSR.

Great Casting Practice, and I don't waste fly.

And yes, I do dismantle some flys at the vise

ULTRAlite
06-26-2010, 10:48 AM
lots of fun on the RDR with big hopper patterns. BH nymphs also work wonders.

catnthehat
06-26-2010, 10:51 AM
I've never fished them in a lake, but get after them often in the Athabasca.
I normally use a prince, stone, or other type of nymph, or a simply dry such as a Tom Thumb.
The can beat a fly up pretty quick with those fine teeth!:sign0176:
Cat

randster
06-26-2010, 05:19 PM
I am headed to Diefenbaker with my kids this weekend. The last time we were there they had fun in the evening catching Goldeye behind the campground using slip bobbers & worms. This trip I was considering packing the flyrod.

Question - any have advice what I should use in terms of a fly for Goldeye ?

Thx.

Try something that resembles a leech. A few years ago I was there this time of year, and I had some old power bait leeches, put one on a jig head and caught goldeye one after another. BTW I was not fly fishing though.