PDA

View Full Version : Picklejar Lakes, anyone fished them??????

matt04
06-24-2010, 10:58 PM
Picklejar Lakes, anyone fished them??????

I was planning on heading up there with the old man some time this summer. We are both novice fly fishermen but my dad knows the area well. Has anyone fished there in the last couple of years? I know there is something like 4 lakes in that valley and i heard they have Native cutthroat trout. Which lakes are the best to fish? What have they been caught on?(I know it allways depends on the time of year when it comes to fly fishing). Any advice??????

Scott N
06-24-2010, 11:21 PM
Last time I was up there was in July 2008. It's beautiful country up there...

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn93/ScottN01/P1000171.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn93/ScottN01/P1000177.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn93/ScottN01/P1000169.jpg

The fish aren't big, but they usually seem pretty eager to bite. We had luck using a number of different nymph patterns in about a size 14 or 16.

The lakes are all in a chain, and the larger of the two lakes seemed to be the better ones. I had the best luck in the first lake, if my memory is correct.

matt04
06-24-2010, 11:27 PM
wow. awesome pics man. Thanks for the advice. So it sounds like a guy would do just fine if he stuck to the ussual flies that work in alberta,(pheasenttail nymphs, prince nymphs, hare's ear nymphs, elk haired caddis, stimulators, adams, that kind of stuff.) ????

How long of a hike is it to the first lake? And to the bigger lake?

Scott N
06-24-2010, 11:30 PM
wow. awesome pics man. Thanks for the advice. So it sounds like a guy would do just fine if he stuck to the ussual flies that work in alberta,(pheasenttail nymphs, prince nymphs, hare's ear nymphs, elk haired caddis, stimulators, adams, that kind of stuff.) ????

How long of a hike is it to the first lake? And to the bigger lake?

Yep, your fly selection is similar to what I normally use. The first lake is one of the big ones, and it's about 5 kms or so from the trailhead off of HWY 40.

Scott N
06-24-2010, 11:31 PM
I should correct my first post to say that the 2 largest lakes fished best, not the "the" largest.

matt04
06-24-2010, 11:57 PM
oh ok. gotcha. thanks so much fo your advice, i really appreciate your help. I can't wait to get out there! Unfortunately it will be a couple of weeks before i can make it out there but i am really looking forward to getting out there.

How is the hike up there??? Have you fished any other lakes like these in that area??

Kingfisher
06-25-2010, 01:36 AM
You have to park on the west side of the highway and then cross the highway and head east up the trail. The trail climbs along the north side of a valley. It levels out a bit towards the end. Then it takes a sharp turn north. Then it's straight up for about the length of 2 football fields. It's absolutely worth getting up. Once your up to the top of the mountain then the trail turns east again. Follow the trail a short distance from there to the lakes.

I usually bring a dry line and a few indicators when I go there. I always put on a dry first. A humpy or an elk hair caddis. Then if that's not working then I'll put on the indicator and put on a hare's ear nymph or a pheasant tail. I have also had luck there with a micro leech just a few feet under the indicator. I have had them jump at my indicator. So maybe an indicator fly would work. :happy0034:

Just one thing to add. I don't want to scare you. But you need to know this. I have been going in the bush my whole life fishing and hunting. 2 years ago I saw the biggest grizzly that I have ever seen just north of the parking area. So keep your eye's open, make losts of noise and bring your bear spray.

Have a great hike.

Rob

S-in-Cochrane
06-25-2010, 08:53 AM
Has anyone used spoons/lures up there? A couple of us are planning on going up around the Aug long weekend, but we don't fly fish too good.

Scott N
06-25-2010, 10:19 AM
Has anyone used spoons/lures up there? A couple of us are planning on going up around the Aug long weekend, but we don't fly fish too good.

There's no reason why small spoons or spinners wouldn't work up there, other than most of the fish are really small and you need to use small tackle. Another option would be to use an adjust-a-bubble type float and use some of the flies already mentioned.

S-in-Cochrane
06-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the idea Scott, never even heard of that technique. Will give it a shot around home, see if I can get it to work.

Sundancefisher
06-25-2010, 11:38 AM
Have you fished any other lakes like these in that area??

Fish "Running Rain Lake".

Tons of Cutts. Pretty and loads of fun. I caught on a variety but small black chironomids were the most consistance fished under either a foam dry or small corkie.

Lake

50 o 30 ‘ 17.48 “ N
114 o 56 ‘ 42.56 “ W
6806 ASL

Trailhead

50 o 31 ‘ 22.6 “ N
114 o 55 ‘ 31.09 “ W
6240 ASL

matt04
06-25-2010, 12:03 PM
Just one thing to add. I don't want to scare you. But you need to know this. I have been going in the bush my whole life fishing and hunting. 2 years ago I saw the biggest grizzly that I have ever seen just north of the parking area. So keep your eye's open, make losts of noise and bring your bear spray.

Have a great hike.

Rob

I am well aware of the bear situation in that area however thanks for mentioning that for those who read this thread and and decide to go to picklejar lakes. Thanks i appreciate the pointers.

matt04
06-25-2010, 12:05 PM
Allways good to have a heads up when it comes to grizzlys.

Sundancefisher
06-25-2010, 12:39 PM
Allways good to have a heads up when it comes to grizzlys.

Bears are only a problem if you are the slowest in your group. Otherwise...don't worry about spray. Just stick a few extra jam sandwiches in your buddies pack...

Steven Noel
06-25-2010, 01:16 PM
I've fished them in the summers of 2007 and 2009. One of my favourite places I've ever fished. Fishing is usually pretty good, for small cutts (the only purebred natives left in Alberta). The first and third lake have the best fishing. They can get fairly busy on weekends, so I would suggest a weekday expedition. Good luck, and watchout for inukshuks ;). :wave: