PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with a non-resident alien?

jacobin
06-25-2010, 01:47 PM
I have a friend from University that would like to come out deer hunting with me this fall. Problem is that he is not from Canada. And the only thing I could find was about obtaining a hunter host license, but that seems to only work with non-resident (canadians).

Is he just out of luck for a hunt, or is there something I can do to get him on a deer this fall?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

aceudell
06-25-2010, 02:38 PM
You can go to the fish and wildlife office in Edmonton and fill out a hunter host form for a non-resident alien. He will need a win prior to I believe. Once it is approved you can then get a hunter host license to host him and he will only be able to buy a general tag. You are allowed to host up to 2 non-resident aliens of which one has to be a relative.

You will probably want to apply fairly soon. I can't remember how long the approval takes and if my memory serves me correctly then you have to have the application in by a certain date to qualify.

A call to the F&W office will likely confirm all of the details.

Hope that helps.

nube
06-25-2010, 03:25 PM
You can go to the fish and wildlife office in Edmonton and fill out a hunter host form for a non-resident alien. He will need a win prior to I believe. Once it is approved you can then get a hunter host license to host him and he will only be able to buy a general tag. You are allowed to host up to 2 non-resident aliens of which one has to be a relative.

You will probably want to apply fairly soon. I can't remember how long the approval takes and if my memory serves me correctly then you have to have the application in by a certain date to qualify.

A call to the F&W office will likely confirm all of the details.

Hope that helps.
You are mostly correct but he is only allowed 1 non resident Alien not 2. I believe if they are non resident Canadiens you can have 2. I also think the deadline is sometime in August. When I did it the one time I also had to get signed documentation from the courthouse I believe and swear it was who I was and some legal stuff. I can't remember exactly what it was all about it was years ago but I know I had to sign paperwork, then fedex it to him to sign and then he had to sign and fedex it back to take to fish and wildlife. It is quite the process. Not sure if it is the same now or not but I imagine it would be.

LIR
06-25-2010, 03:34 PM
And here I was thinking this was the thread about finding an excuse to take a hot Brazilian exchange student chick in the bush...

nicholal
06-28-2010, 12:13 AM
I think it is to late already? had to be done by late feb if i am correct

AL

sheephunter
06-28-2010, 12:29 AM
From the regs:

A Hunter Host

Must be an adult resident, and be eligible to hold recreational hunting licences.
Must be the holder of a valid WIN and Hunter Host Licence (below).
may not provide services for gain or reward, or accept remuneration, directly or indirectly, for such services.
may host a maximum of two (2) hunters/year, either Non-residents (Canadian), Non-resident Aliens or a combination thereof. If hosting 2 Non-resident Aliens, at least 1 must be a relative.
may host Non-resident Aliens only if the host has not hosted a Non-resident Alien in the previous two (2) fiscal years (April 1 to March 31).
must report to the Fish and Wildlife Division by December 31 in the year of harvest, all hunting activities by the Non-resident Aliens he or she hosted.
must accompany the hunter(s) named on his or her Hunter Host Licence while they are hunting big game under the authority of the Hunter Host Licence.

Hunter Host Licence
A resident who wishes to be a Hunter Host may purchase a Hunter Host Licence at any private licence issuer. You must have the WIN(s) of the non-resident(s) at the time of purchase. You must ensure that the hunters you host are named on your Hunter Host Licence. If you purchase your Hunter Host licence naming one hunter and you decide to add a second hunter to your licence at a later date, you can do so at no additional charge. Return to a private licence issuer with your licence and have it amended. Once you have purchased your Hunter Host Licence, the hunters may purchase their licences.

A Hunter Host who plans to take a non-resident alien hunting must do the following:
Go to a Fish and Wildlife Division office and initiate an application (including statutory declaration). Sign it and have your signature sworn. If your Non-resident Alien is not a relative, you must start this process by August 31 or February 26 as described above.
Have the Non-resident Alien sign the application and have his or her signature sworn. (If the Non-resident Alien does not have a WIN, have him or her fill out a WIN application at the same time.)
Take the completed application to a Fish and Wildlife Division office. The application will be reviewed for final approval and keyed into the automated licensing system.
When you are notified that your application is approved, go to any private licence issuer and purchase your Hunter Host Licence (see above) and the appropriate Wildlife Certificate and licences.

sheephunter
06-28-2010, 12:32 AM
You are mostly correct but he is only allowed 1 non resident Alien not 2. I believe if they are non resident Canadiens you can have 2. I also think the deadline is sometime in August. When I did it the one time I also had to get signed documentation from the courthouse I believe and swear it was who I was and some legal stuff. I can't remember exactly what it was all about it was years ago but I know I had to sign paperwork, then fedex it to him to sign and then he had to sign and fedex it back to take to fish and wildlife. It is quite the process. Not sure if it is the same now or not but I imagine it would be.

Actually he was totally correct...from the regs:

may host a maximum of two (2) hunters/year, either Non-residents (Canadian), Non-resident Aliens or a combination thereof. If hosting 2 Non-resident Aliens, at least 1 must be a relative.

Last time I did it it was painfully simple.

Take Em!
06-29-2010, 11:26 AM

It has to be signed by a Commish of the Oaths.