PDA

View Full Version : Suffield elk

Dr.D
06-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Any one apply for suffield bull elk and if so what size elk are you looking for

ishootbambi
06-25-2010, 06:20 PM
i dont mean to sound rude, but if a guy has saved up priority for that long......what the heck size of elk do you think he's after???
good luck to those who are drawn this year....looking forward to the pics.

Walleyes
06-25-2010, 06:26 PM
i dont mean to sound rude, but if a guy has saved up priority for that long......what the heck size of elk do you think he's after???

Actually suffield elk can be gotten on a fairly low priority..

MountainTi
06-25-2010, 06:42 PM
I'm thinking this year is going to be tougher than normal to find a good bull off the base. All that rain down there means no shortage of green grass which means less reason to leave the sanctuary of the base.

macee
06-25-2010, 06:45 PM
Was drawn their the very 1st year and all I can say is you have a chance at shotting a big elk but if to picky you have a good chance at tag soup. If they don't come off the base you will be out of luck.

ishootbambi
06-25-2010, 06:45 PM
looks like a couple P4's got oct/nov tags. the best hunts happen early, and those went to P8's.

ishootbambi
06-25-2010, 06:47 PM
I'm thinking this year is going to be tougher than normal to find a good bull off the base. All that rain down there means no shortage of green grass which means less reason to leave the sanctuary of the base.

LOL...it aint hunting season, but there were 9 bulls feeding along the trans-canada wednesday afternoon. 2 are gonna be huge in another month....well they kinda already are!

crawfy
06-25-2010, 07:38 PM

3 weeks of 30+ degree weather will change that in a hurry.

ducky_hunter
06-25-2010, 08:25 PM
i am a P9 and put in in this area

Snap Shot
06-25-2010, 08:42 PM
My brother is going to be drawing a tag this year. Holding out for 350 or better. Should be a tough one forsure but i like a challenge. I have a ton of homework ahead of me Never hunted those zones....

Dr.D
06-25-2010, 10:03 PM

Well it did sound rude what do you think is big 350 375 400 just woundering what guys are looking for thanx for the help

ishootbambi
06-25-2010, 10:13 PM
for me elk are big starting at 350. at suffield, you would have a hard time making me take a bull smaller than that...at least until the last day, then a 330 might do :happy0034:
my point is that if you arent holding out for a hog, then why wait so long....go hunt where a P2 gets you a tag. my thoughts anyway.

nube
06-25-2010, 10:57 PM
for me elk are big starting at 350. at suffield, you would have a hard time making me take a bull smaller than that...at least until the last day, then a 330 might do :happy0034:
my point is that if you arent holding out for a hog, then why wait so long....go hunt where a P2 gets you a tag. my thoughts anyway.

Exactly my thoughts as well. It is a Trophy zone

Dr.D
06-25-2010, 11:36 PM
Yes it is a trophy zone and my self I won't shoot any thing under385 not even last day I would rather eat tag soup was just seeing what other guys were looking for seen lots of pics of small bulls killed but it's a trophy and all guys look for the big one and 350 must be the staring point for all the guys my bad

nube
06-26-2010, 12:01 AM
If you want a good chance at a 385 or better I comend you for that. Good luck though. it will be a tough one to get something like that. They are on the base but it will take a lot of luck to get one off of it.
Chances are better if you start putting in some draws or buy a hunt in Arizona or New Mexico. Not saying it is impossible to do it , just very hard.

Rackmastr
06-26-2010, 12:15 AM
Yes it is a trophy zone and my self I won't shoot any thing under385 not even last day I would rather eat tag soup was just seeing what other guys were looking for seen lots of pics of small bulls killed but it's a trophy and all guys look for the big one and 350 must be the staring point for all the guys my bad

Those are definatly some high expectations, heres hoping you find one that is in the right spot at the right time and you can put it on the ground.

I know it sure would be tough passing up a 360-375 class elk.

Have you hunted the zone a lot or know the hunt well?

sheepguide
06-26-2010, 09:05 AM
Those are definatly some high expectations, heres hoping you find one that is in the right spot at the right time and you can put it on the ground.

I know it sure would be tough passing up a 360-375 class elk.

Have you hunted the zone a lot or know the hunt well?

Not alot of guys out there that would be able to judge between 360 and 380 on the hoof.

ishootbambi
06-26-2010, 09:18 AM
If you want a good chance at a 385 or better I comend you for that. Good luck though. it will be a tough one to get something like that. They are on the base but it will take a lot of luck to get one off of it.
Chances are better if you start putting in some draws or buy a hunt in Arizona or New Mexico. Not saying it is impossible to do it , just very hard.

not to argue....AZ and NM sure do have 400 class bulls.....but over the last 10 years, utah is leading the pack in the giant elk category. they manage about half the state for numbers so everyone can hunt, and about half the state for giant trophies. mule deer too.....sigh....maybe someday ill get lucky.
if anyone likes to watch hunting for these giants, Mossback productions is far and away the best videos on the market for it. all i can say is WOW! doyle moss is the best at finding the hogs.

BrownBear416
06-26-2010, 09:40 AM
Not alot of guys out there that would be able to judge between 360 and 380 on the hoof.

HaHa isnt that the Truth..

Myself included..:sHa_shakeshout:

nube
06-26-2010, 09:58 AM
I aggree with you. I was just nameing a couple options

not to argue....AZ and NM sure do have 400 class bulls.....but over the last 10 years, utah is leading the pack in the giant elk category. they manage about half the state for numbers so everyone can hunt, and about half the state for giant trophies. mule deer too.....sigh....maybe someday ill get lucky.
if anyone likes to watch hunting for these giants, Mossback productions is far and away the best videos on the market for it. all i can say is WOW! doyle moss is the best at finding the hogs.

Dr.D
06-26-2010, 11:19 AM
I do apply for several trophy elk tags south of the border but I'm staying close to home due to getting hitched this fall so I'm taking my Alberta tag after ten years and yes to kill a great bull it will be lots of work and fun but I'm taking five weeks off to do it and have already been doing lots of spotting and yes most guys don't know how to score a live bull but with some work you can get good at it I have still shot bulls I was off a bit on but I will still hold on for the bull over the 385 I have already taken some great bulls and I have set my sights on a bigger bull than I already have and yes Doyle does kill some of the best bull in the world but you pay for it

BrownBear416
06-26-2010, 12:39 PM
I do apply for several trophy elk tags south of the border but I'm staying close to home due to getting hitched this fall so I'm taking my Alberta tag after ten years and yes to kill a great bull it will be lots of work and fun but I'm taking five weeks off to do it and have already been doing lots of spotting and yes most guys don't know how to score a live bull but with some work you can get good at it I have still shot bulls I was off a bit on but I will still hold on for the bull over the 385 I have already taken some great bulls and I have set my sights on a bigger bull than I already have and yes Doyle does kill some of the best bull in the world but you pay for it

Sounds like you are gonna put in the effort and the time so I hope you can get a biggin..

You better start a thread when you start this hunt so you can keep us posted.

We can call it Dr D's blog :sHa_shakeshout:

sheepguide
06-26-2010, 04:26 PM
HaHa isnt that the Truth..

Myself included..:sHa_shakeshout:

Me too! All I know is big or not big.:)

ishootbambi
06-26-2010, 04:32 PM

actually if you check into it, using doyle moss as your guide if you ever did draw a tag is a lot cheaper than i would have guessed. if i ever draw, there is no question i will be calling him. his guide fees are less than a trophy whitetail hunt in alberta or sask. the size of trophy you shoot adds a trophy fee....but it isnt even close to the price of a yukon moose or even the cheapest sheep.

KBF
06-27-2010, 10:49 AM
looks like a couple P4's got oct/nov tags. the best hunts happen early, and those went to P8's.

Just curious is this knowledge from last years draw results? Or this years? Just wondering.

ishootbambi
06-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Just curious is this knowledge from last years draw results? Or this years? Just wondering.

thats from the 2009 draw....this year's results arent out yet. google my wild alberta to see for yourself, or follow the link that has been posted a dozen or so times. id get it for ya, but im lazy.

nube
06-27-2010, 11:36 AM
You say you are taking off 5 weeks to hunt? Is the season only a few weeks long depending on what time you draw for? I have not looked. Just asking.

Dr.D
06-27-2010, 11:59 AM
You say you are taking off 5 weeks to hunt? Is the season only a few weeks long depending on what time you draw for? I have not looked. Just asking.

I will spend a week scouting hard setting up camp I have waited along time to pull my tag and want to put my best into it big bulls are hard to find

ishootbambi
06-27-2010, 12:26 PM
I will spend a week scouting hard setting up camp I have waited along time to pull my tag and want to put my best into it big bulls are hard to find

big bulls there are easy to find....the trick is to find one where you can kill him.;) sounds like you are doing this the right way. good luck doc....im looking forward to your pics.:sign0111:

Kale_M
06-28-2010, 01:19 PM
saw 2 bulls just west of suffield right on the trans canada hwy yesterday

ducky_hunter
06-28-2010, 02:08 PM
I will be around looking for a good wall hanger dont need a book Bull just a good wall hanger. I put in for antalope as well in these areas so when I am scouting I just may have to shoot one of them speedy goats

muleguide
06-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Good luck guys but its a tough hunt. Those elk are well educated over the last few years and there wasn't many killed last year. I know guys that put on tons of miles and hunted almost everyday and didn't see an elk off the base but that was in the oct/nov seasons. I did find two bulls off the base and took the bigger bull which scored just over 300". Its pretty cool to see all them huge bulls on the base though. If anybody gets drawn I have some phone numbers and would be more than glad to help out where I can, just shoot me a pm.

flint
06-29-2010, 08:33 AM
I should be picked in two years and I will target a minium of 350 B&C. For a few years I guided clients for antelope on three sides of the base and have to say that there are bulls in the in the Suffield Block that will just knock your socks off! Four years ago I spied the biggest bull of my life and I don't know if I will ever see one like that again. He was outside of the Block and was a true 9x9 bull.(points coming off the beam only) He had everything that a trophy hunter could imagine. The mass of the entire rack is something I could not even dreamed of. I was guiding in the late time in September and even his girlfriends were in love with him and three cows permiited him to breed them. The only downfall is that seldom I spotted elk outside of the block and when I did most of them were around that 300 B&C or smaller. Anyway, when I get selected I will be using my son's 300 Weatherby X 180 gr. Nosler Accubonds and sighted in at 300 yards. There can be some long shot's that for sure, but there are alot of rolling hill to make a great stock. I think Dr. D is making a prudent decission by putting in 5 weeks of scouting/hunting. The more time utilzed in the field, greater the chances. Can't rely on luck alone....got to work hard, smart and make your luck because it truly can be a tough hunt.