PDA

View Full Version : is spear hunting legal in alberta?

BANG
06-26-2010, 12:35 AM
mostly assume it is(should be) but would not be surprised if its not.

IR_mike
06-26-2010, 12:48 AM
Nothing in the regs saying it isn't......Consult F and W first before you go chuking.

fish-man
06-26-2010, 09:39 AM
Kill a bear or a moose with a spear... that would be about the ultimate hunting trophy.

roger
06-26-2010, 03:32 PM
i wondered if the 'spear' is considered to be a (albeit enlarged) arrow by defintion, broadhead diameters etc. if it does then draw weight rules would probably apply
i dunno... just guessing

Pudelpointer
06-26-2010, 04:59 PM
I have wondered about this one too, but not enough to search for the actual wording of the wildlife act. I do not thing the "draw weight" would apply, but the definition of an "authorized arrow" might, i.e. 7/8" minimum blade width, etc.

The wording in the regs appears to suggest there is no prohibition, but I'm with Mike, ask your local F&W officer first or you could end up like that American fellow in Ontario.

And then..... take video!

ETA, IIRC the BC regs states it is unlawful to hunt big game with ... something about an unauthorized weapon, and then it goes on to define an authorized bow, arrow, firearm, etc. In the way it is worded you can not do so there. Also, I believe that is the way it is worded in Ont. as well.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Roughneck Country
06-26-2010, 09:39 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I have been close enough to take several animals with a spear over the years. I think it would be fun to try but would be concerned with wounding an animal. I see in the US they sell some pretty high end spears, almost like Javalins for hunting so I assume it must be legal at least in some places. Let us know what you find out!

Rantastic
06-27-2010, 07:01 AM
hmm interesting indeed. i could see spearing a blackie to the ground from a tree stand or a deer i guess.

ishootbambi
06-27-2010, 12:38 PM
anyone with wildtv must have seen tim wells on relentless pursuit kill a couple pigs and a buffalo with a cold steel spear. it looks like penetration is pretty minimal, but them animals were pretty dead. i dont remember where the hunts took place.

timsesink
06-27-2010, 05:12 PM
I don't see why not, however that said do your legal homework and call FW for sure. A judge won't buy "Well, I read it on a forum". Good luck!

deanmc
06-27-2010, 05:15 PM
I wonder if it might be considered a primitive weapon?

roger
06-27-2010, 08:47 PM
i could see spearing a blackie to the ground .

i smiled to myself when i thot about this and looked at your name:)

in theory one should be able to use a javelin to get javelina, then again maybe thats not a good plan, watch this bad day, he just couldnt finnish him off
spear hunting is legal in this country
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhT30Ov41_s

albertadeer
06-28-2010, 09:01 AM
It has been done...http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=1288707097443&ref=share...

not sure if that will work. But he kills a doe from a treestand with a cold steel spear. Almost ripped the deer in half.

Spennydubs
06-28-2010, 09:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oibNvAbtpc

Jared Allen from the vikings spearing an elk!

Deer Hunter
06-28-2010, 09:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oibNvAbtpc

Jared Allen from the vikings spearing an elk!

That was awesome!
How about jumping out of a tree in a loin cloth with a knife in hand. Is that legal? :sign0068:

dirtywater
06-28-2010, 02:17 PM
I am sure one of the resident "know it all's" can answer this.

pottymouth
06-28-2010, 03:15 PM
That was awesome!
How about jumping out of a tree in a loin cloth with a knife in hand. Is that legal? :sign0068:

Ummm knife :thinking-006: ......Loin cloth :sign0068:...heck no, I think BB has a patent pending on that camo!!!:sHa_sarcasticlol::scared0018:

walking buffalo
06-28-2010, 08:49 PM
Nothing that I saw in the Alberta Wildlife Act prohibiting hunting with a spear. Probably an area of human activity not covered by a law, therefore, my internet law liecence would say it is legal.

For those who may decide to try it, make sure your spear:

(a) is not intentionally designed to resist being withdrawn after it has penetrated an object, and
(b) is either
(i) a solid, sharp cutting head of at least 7/8 inch in width, or
(ii) a head that, when the arrow impacts, opens to present sharp cutting edges at least 7/8 inch in width.

__________________________________________________ ___
DISCLAIMER: This communication is solicitor/client privileged
and contains confidential information intended only for the person(s)
to whom it is addressed. Any other distribution, copying, or
disclosure is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message
in error, please notify us immediately and delete this message without
reading or copying it.
__________________________________________________ ___

:budo:

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/574.cfm?page=w10.cfm&leg_type=Acts&isbncln=9780779746880

Items Prohibited for Hunting Purposes

Item 1
Items prohibited for hunting all wildlife

1 An arrow equipped with an explosive head.

2 A swivel set or spring gun.

3 A firearm that is capable of firing more than one bullet during one pressure of the trigger or a firearm that can be altered to operate as such.

4 A poisonous substance described in section 32(5) or an immobilizing drug.

5 A light.

6 Repealed AR 134/2002 s17.

7 A shotgun of a gauge greater than 10 gauge.

8 A device designed to deaden the sound of the report of a
firearm.

9 Recorded wildlife calls or sounds or an electronically operated
calling device, except where a person is hunting

(a) migratory game birds with the use of calls or sounds that mimic snow geese and the hunting does not occur with the use of decoys that mimic migratory game birds other than snow geese, or
(b) crows, magpies, coyotes, red foxes or wolves with the use of calls or sounds that mimic any of these kinds of animal or rodents.

10 A pistol or revolver.

11 Live wildlife.

Item 2
Items prohibited for hunting big game

1 Ammunition of less than .23 calibre.

2 Ammunition that contains non-expanding bullets.

3 An autoloading firearm that has a capacity of more than 5 cartridges in the magazine.

4 A shotgun having a gauge of .410 or less.

5 Any bait consisting of a food attractant, including a mineral and
any representation of a food attractant.

6 Any arrow other than an arrow that has a tip that bears a head that

(a) is not intentionally designed to resist being withdrawn
after it has penetrated an object, and
(b) is either
(i) a solid, sharp cutting head of at least 7/8 inch in width, or
(ii) a head that, when the arrow impacts, opens to present
sharp cutting edges at least 7/8 inch in width.

6.1 Any cross-bow that requires less than 100 pounds of pull to
draw the string or cable to its cocked position.

7 Any bow other than

(a) a cross-bow that requires 100 pounds or more of pull to
draw the string or cable to its cocked position, or
(b) a bow that
(i) is held, drawn and released by muscular power, and
(ii) requires a pull of at least 40 pounds to draw an arrow 28 inches in length to its head.

8 A muzzle-loading firearm of less than .44 calibre.

9 Any trap that could be used to hunt big game.

switchsl
06-29-2010, 05:27 PM
Spear hunting, now thats cool. Dont forget the kife in your teeth for a follow up shot. I would like to hear your results if you go ahead with it.

BANG
09-07-2010, 09:07 PM
called fish and wildlife they said its legal but only during general season.not archery or primitive.go figure?

alacringa
09-07-2010, 09:33 PM
called fish and wildlife they said its legal but only during general season.not archery or primitive.go figure?

That's intriguing...how could you get more primitive than a spear? Beat it over the head with a rock? Thanks for the update.

cover
09-07-2010, 10:37 PM
That's intriguing...how could you get more primitive than a spear? Beat it over the head with a rock? Thanks for the update.

well I wonder what your bare hands would follow under then ?? :thinking-006:

Rantastic
09-08-2010, 07:36 AM
interesting to see that its legal but odd that only in general season...

TheClash
09-08-2010, 08:10 AM
wonder if it has to be actually hand thrown or if you can use an atlatl?

crazyfish
09-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Soooooooo, if it's legal in general season, any takers yet ? (not me):)

I'm not sure i would enjoy tracking thru the swamp spruce up north trying to find a wounded bear with 5 yrds of visibility !!!!:sign0068: But then again there always is one or two "loose canon types" who will trey anything once !