PDA

View Full Version : Waterfowl near Peace River / High Level ?

aboller
06-26-2010, 11:37 AM
I am from Minnesota and do lots of waterfowl hunting, as I am sure we all are - I am addicted. I like to hunt new and different locations as often as I can as I like meeting new people and visiting different places. This fall I was thinking of making a "once in a lifetime" trip to the Peace river area or north of there near High Level. I have done lots of research on this but it is hard to find much info. I understand the area is mainly known for Canada hunting but what are the numbers of ducks/ specs/ and snows in this area? I assume snows kind of stick to the east of the providence? Is the river the main staging water in these areas or are there lots of beaver ponds / pot holes that the birds use as well? This will be about a 32 plus hour drive for me so I just want to get as much info as possible before I plan a trip. Are ther any pros or cons in driving the extra 3hrs to hunt High Level instead of Peace River or Grande Prairie areas? Any help or additional info you can give me would be much appreciated from one waterfowler to another. Please feel free to send me a PM as well.

Thanks,

Adam

whiskybaron
06-26-2010, 01:12 PM
In my opinion you are better to stay in the Grande Prairie, Fairview Or Peace River Area, High Level is still a goood place for Bbirds but you would not have the mobility to find birds if the migration is a litle off when you are there. Canada geese are the most common but the Mclennan and peace river areas do get snows and specks at the right time of year not so much in GP and there are ducks every were in the fall, just have to look. There are a lot of lakes and sleughs and a fair number of Ducks Unlimited projects that fill up with waterfowl every year.

One problem that can arise in the Peace River and Mclennan areas is field availabity in the fall there is a strong outfitter presence in those areas and they have a lot of land tied up and can at imes be difficult to find a good field, but some of them are burning themselves out withthe local landowners so maybe this year won't be as bad?

PM me if you would like some more info or I can help you out with info. I may need the favor returned some day

aboller
06-26-2010, 01:53 PM
Thanks Whisky! Your info is much appreciated. Any other tips would be great. One thing I forgot to mention is I am a big snow goose hunter and chase them all over the US. Is there a general area of alberta that is more known for snows? Thanks again.

ishootbambi
06-26-2010, 04:36 PM
if you have your heart set on that region, ok and good luck. if you are looking for a great waterfowl hunt however, there are better options. the east side of alberta is better, and saskatchewan is better yet. the major flyway runs through saskatchewan and bird numbers in alberta just dont even compare. im not saying you cant have a great hunt in alberta, but just letting you know....

aboller
06-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the info. No, I am not set on any specific location but I would like to try a location I have never been to that will be a good location for ducks, snows and canadas.

Adam

ishootbambi
06-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the info. No, I am not set on any specific location but I would like to try a location I have never been to that will be a good location for ducks, snows and canadas.

Adam

if thats the case, then southwest saskatchewan has bird numbers that i have never seen rivalled anywhere. i have worked a fair bit from swift current to kindersley and its amazing to see the sky darken with birds. rm (rural municipality) maps are available that show landowners names, and from what i have seen, most of them are hunter friendly if you ask politely. grain fields within 10 miles of the south saskatchewan river are the places to look. an added bonus for you is that it is much closer to where you live.

dale

aboller
06-26-2010, 07:23 PM
Thanks Dale! PM sent.