PDA

View Full Version : Elbow Lake

fishpro
06-26-2010, 06:08 PM
Thinking of heading up to Elbow Lake next Wednesday, anyone know how it is? In particular, has the ice come off yet? Does anyone have any other reccomendations in Kananaskis? I'd like to keep the hike no more than 1.5 hours for me and my brother. Size isn't too much of a concern, but I want to get us into some fish for sure.

Braun
06-26-2010, 06:30 PM
i will be hiking up there with the girlfriend sometime this summer. And there is no way im going up there without bringing my gear. Let me know how it is when you get back

fishpro
06-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Well I've been a couple times before and it's a good lake for lots of small fish. The brook trout are stunted due to over-population and not enough food, so you rarely ever see one over 10 inches. This is a lake that I actually encourage people to take their limit from as it will weed out some fish and allow the rest to grow larger (biologists will say the same thing).

As for tackle, anything small will work. If you're spin fishing, then small spoons/spinners, and for fly fishing any sort of nymph or dry fly will work well. I've also heard early morning can be best up there.

spot and stock
06-28-2010, 08:54 AM
Took a ride in there last weekend, lots of little guys jumping on the west end. We were on a different mission that day though.

the local angler
06-28-2010, 11:33 PM
cool scenic pics