PDA

View Full Version : Whitetail Deer Antler Growth?

BrownBear416
06-26-2010, 06:41 PM
I just wanted to hear some of your guys thoughts on velvet bucks and also what size of deer you are seeing in June? Lots of you live in deer country and also run trail cams so lets hear your thoughts.

I think in our area the bucks start growing in mid April and Finish sometime in August.Do you think bucks put on the most growth early or towards the end of summer? Can bucks do 1 inch of antler growth a day or is this pretty rare.

What size of buck would you have to see in July to think it would be a 180-190 come the end of August?

Thx

whitetail Junkie
06-26-2010, 06:52 PM
I just wanted to hear some of your guys thoughts on velvet bucks and also what size of deer you are seeing in July? Lots of you live in deer country and also run trail cams so lets hear your thoughts.

I think in our area the bucks start growing in mid April and Finish sometime in August.Do you think bucks put on the most growth early or towards the end of summer? Can bucks do 1 inch of antler growth a day or is this pretty rare.

What size of buck would you have to see in July to think it would be a 180-190 come the end of August?

Thx

I think that its still to early to be 100% sure if a buck will be a monster,unless there are sticker points all over his rack. by now you can tell which bucks will be good,but monster's??? I dont know?

I'd think that the pic you got of the buck with the two sticker points would go over 160" Gross.he's a shooter!!!

pottymouth
06-26-2010, 10:31 PM
BB, I have pics of a whitetail from a couple of years ago, that walked by my camera daily. I have him from knubs to velvet shed, to arrow in him. It was actually amazing to see him grow. The most intresting pics I got though, was July 7th to July 12th, he added almost 30 - 40 inches in 5 days. That was his last huge growth spurt, and the rest was steady and barely noticable until he shed his velvet on Sept 4th. He had about 4 big spurts, but none like that.

I would say that a buck that was gonna be in that 190 mark , should be showing signs of it his main beams, mass and especially his browtines by now. There also should some tine length starting in the next week, and by mid July all his typical tines should be visable. If the velvet looks black or darker on the ends, it means he's still not done ( that's more in August).

pottymouth
06-26-2010, 10:36 PM
Here's a couple of pic's of that buck, I've posted before. These are taken in that Mid July time, I'd have to check the back of the actual prints to get the actual date. I have 500 pic's of him all dated.

Elkaholic6
06-26-2010, 10:37 PM
I've seen 2 bucks so far since bear season that are ALOT wider then their ears. And 3 or 4 that already have a very nice main frame. Seen a 4x4 already too. I think its gonna be a good Fall :sHa_shakeshout:

Drop_Tine
06-26-2010, 10:45 PM
Oh yeah... pottymouth you sure could tell he was/is a monster ...what a deer ..what did he score

BrownBear416
06-26-2010, 10:48 PM
BB, I have pics of a whitetail from a couple of years ago, that walked by my camera daily. I have him from knubs to velvet shed, to arrow in him. It was actually amazing to see him grow. The most intresting pics I got though, was July 7th to July 12th, he added almost 30 - 40 inches in 5 days. That was his last huge growth spurt, and the rest was steady and barely noticable until he shed his velvet on Sept 4th. He had about 4 big spurts, but none like that.

I would say that a buck that was gonna be in that 190 mark , should be showing signs of it his main beams, mass and especially his browtines by now. There also should some tine length starting in the next week, and by mid July all his typical tines should be visable. If the velvet looks black or darker on the ends, it means he's still not done ( that's more in August).

Hey Potty great info..

The buck I am after is not in the mid 200s lol

Do you think it is common for the bucks to grow the inch's in spurts like you experienced or more just inch by inch everyday?

I have my trailcam set up in an area where we know a big buck lives and I got pics of him early this week.

My bro saw him in April and when the bucks just had 2 inch nubs he was already a 3 point.

Fast forward to June and most bucks are 3 or 4 point with nubs for points.He is almost a main frame 5 with great tine length already.I think with a couple stickers he is around a 105 inch gross right now.With close to 2 months of growing I am just trying to figure out if he will be in the 160s or maybe the next class up.

Bush deer are hard to keep track of but hopefully he keeps feeding and bedding in the same area.

hunter10
06-26-2010, 10:49 PM
2-3 weeks ago I saw a mulie that was pasthis ears and pretty much half of his main beams.

The deer you posted bb should be nice, already has 5-6" g3's or sp (I have to look again) but he should be a great deer.

And potty that whitey is a beast!! When you showed them to me I couldn't beileve it!

pottymouth
06-26-2010, 11:11 PM
Hey Potty great info..

The buck I am after is not in the mid 200s lol

Do you think it is common for the bucks to grow the inch's in spurts like you experienced or more just inch by inch everyday?

I have my trailcam set up in an area where we know a big buck lives and I got pics of him early this week.

My bro saw him in April and when the bucks just had 2 inch nubs he was already a 3 point.

Fast forward to June and most bucks are 3 or 4 point with nubs for points.He is almost a main frame 5 with great tine length already.I think with a couple stickers he is around a 105 inch gross right now.With close to 2 months of growing I am just trying to figure out if he will be in the 160s or maybe the next class up.

Bush deer are hard to keep track of but hopefully he keeps feeding and bedding in the same area.

From what I saw of this buck, he grew almost every day. But saying that it was hard to notice daily, but weekly you could see the diffrence. An inch a day is a little deceiving, cause it can go to numerous places on there. I believe they do that constant steady gain, but like I said the huge growth spurts is what shocked me. It wasn't only him, it seemed to be all the deer in that area had huge growth spurt weeks, and of course not at the same time.

I haven't seen your pic, but I would guesstimate that he sounds like that 160-170 is very possible, hopefully more. I think you'll have a better Idea mid July and hopefully he sticks around for you.

Good luck

Here's another pic I found of him I believe it was in the middle of the spurt and one in early May.

pottymouth
06-26-2010, 11:13 PM
Oh yeah... pottymouth you sure could tell he was/is a monster ...what a deer ..what did he score

244 Gross , without an inside spread.

nube
06-27-2010, 12:04 AM
I would love to see some pics BB

BrownBear416
06-27-2010, 12:09 AM
I would love to see some pics BB

K i will get some up.

When you checked your cams did you see anything with decent horn growth?

nube
06-27-2010, 12:13 AM
Here is a picture from May 31st. I think deer all grow antlers at different rates. They all loose them at different rates and start growing new ones as soon as they loose the ones they have pretty much. I think in June it is a little tough to tell for sure how good a deer will be. I think you can tell if one has a lot of potential but it is hard to really start putting a score on one till later in July I would think. This deer looks like he has a good thick base and I got a little excited but I don't think he will amount to much. It will be cool to watch him grow and see what he ends up doing. Who knows he may just grow 10 points a side with double drops eh!:sHa_shakeshout:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/nube/trail%20camera%20stuff/highhill020.jpg

BrownBear416
06-27-2010, 12:18 AM
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s27/BrownBear416/012-2.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s27/BrownBear416/009-3.jpg

marlin1
06-27-2010, 12:35 AM
great pics thanks for posting , nice buck

gramps73
06-27-2010, 12:40 AM
Potty
That is sure a nice looking deer..thanks for sharing
g73

nube
06-27-2010, 12:01 PM
I can see what you are saying but I don't think he has it to get to a 170" buck. To me he looks like a frame of a 155". I have not studied horn growth with my camers over the summer because I have too many issues with bears. This is my first year at it with my bear boxes and I am interested in it as well.

To me if that deer was going to make it as a 170 class deer he would have more mass and thicker tines at the bases. You know how much they loose once that velvet comes off.

What was he last year for size? It will be interesting to see if he increases his bases and tine mass. To me it seems like he has grown pretty much his bases and I have a hard time thinking that there will be a major growth in that part of the horn. This is only speculation as I said I have not studied it much. I would think that most of the horn growth from here on out would be mainly to the main beam and the extra tines he has to grow with a small amount going to the tines that have already pretty much reached their peak.

Keep us updated if you get more pics. I will do the same as well with my deer and see what we can learn this year!
I think another thing is that you might think he will be a monster is because yes, for this time of year he has good growth but like I said he could have been one of those deer that dropped his horns early and started to grow early. This means he will reach his peak sooner not continue to grow through the rest of the summer as much like some of the other deer.

Here is a picture of one I have that is grown early as well but you can see he has his width already and you can see I don't believe he will amount to anything. Might end up being a 130" deer but I doubt he will even get that high
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/nube/trail%20camera%20stuff/highhill036.jpg

nube
06-27-2010, 12:05 PM
What are your thoughts on my deer just before your last post BB????
He sure has good bases already and it was taken MAY 31. His bases look good but then he gets real skinny. Who knows. It will be neat to see.

ishootbambi
06-27-2010, 12:14 PM
BB's deer looks like it will be good, but not great. i hope im wrong and you get him BB. nube, yours doesnt appear to be a great one either, but looking at his body structure, im not convinced he is mature either. too soon to say for sure what those antlers will be though. look at the body structure of the 2 deer im talking about. of course they are skinnier in spring, but look at the skeletal structure. BB's deer looks more mature to me at least. the shoulders and chest and face/eyes are where im looking in particular.

BrownBear416
06-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Thx for your opinion Nube..

Ya I look at the rack and I am not sure where he would put 60 more inchs lol You very well could be right that he is a fast starter but comes up lame in the end lol

This theory would support what we are seeing because nothing that we have seen is close to as far developed as this one.

In saying that here are a few things that make me a little more convinced he is an older mature buck.

Big body

When you zoom in on the rack his bases are actually quite thick with lots of nobs.

He had quite a few scars and also a ripped ear.

He is within a 1/2km of where we saw the buck last year and has the same style of rack.Last year we thought the buck to be in the high 160's.

If nothing else it will be interesting to see how he turns out and like you say I should have a better idea in 2-3 weeks.

Thx for everyones analysis.

BrownBear416
06-27-2010, 12:23 PM
What are your thoughts on my deer just before your last post BB????
He sure has good bases already and it was taken MAY 31. His bases look good but then he gets real skinny. Who knows. It will be neat to see.

Ya you just never know..

It does have good bases and looks like its gonna be wide..He has the look of a young deer.

So many theories on horn growth that its hard to decide which one is right.You would think bucks would grow steady all spring and summer but Potty's buck throws that idea right out the window.

Plus if my buck stops growing end of July then I may as well not even scout till Aug because you dont know what your looking at anyways..

One thing I do know is with the mild winter and heavy moisture there is gonna be some good bucks running around come Nov..

nube
06-27-2010, 12:27 PM
BAmbi I aggree with your thoughts. BB deer is an older deer. Mine just looks like he has decent bases but like I said I am not thinking he will do much.
BB, your deer is mature. He has it showing in body and the extra junk he has.
One thing I have learned over the years of trail cameras and following the same deer around is that they do not all grow like people think they would. Just because he is a year older does not mean he will get 10-20 inches bigger every year. It takes a rare deer from what I have found to break the 155-160" mark. I have watched numerious times that 150-155" deer for 3 years before he starts on his way down. That high 160" deer you saw last year most likely will be about the same but of course like I said if he has it he will break that mark and if he does he will usually jump pretty decently. They either grow it and get big or they don't but most times they don't.

To get a deer to grow that 170" is a tough mark to beat. I think this could be the same deer you saw last year. He needs to really put on some lenght in his front tines here and finsih off strong growth on the others to make it to that 165" mark I am thinking but I think he has the potential to do it. He also could be at his prime and he will just stay this size for the next year or 2 and then downhill from there.
My thoughts on it and like I said it is just the theory of Nube and I could totaly be off base. I am really interested to follow the story till fall. Please keep me updated.

pottymouth
06-27-2010, 03:24 PM
Here's somethings i have noticed while watching bucks grow on my trail cams and trying to determine if i have a potential monster.

1) Base size is crucial , the buck needs that support attached to his skull to carry the weight around. Most bucks will give you an Idea of that, right off the hop. ( By early June forsure). They need to appear like a Pepsi can to get at least that 5 inch H measurement.

2) The brow tines, they seem top develop first from what I've seen. The straighter and cleaner usually I've noticed arte characteristics of a younger deer. When they start adding mass and length to those you know you got a buck more in his prime. ( Mid to end of june)

3)The distance between the browtine and the G2 is also important. That usually indicates to me the potential length of the Main beam. i have found through all my deer and sheds as well that usually the if you take the burr to the G2 and double it you can get a rough main beam measurement. ( Usually 1st week of July) The main beam also needs to carry the mass through the G's.

4) By the 2-3 week of July, everything that is gonna get bigger than 3-4 inches is already showed it's self. Non typ points and the last G's depending on the main beam space might not show themselves until that last push in early Aug. (the ones under 3 inches)

5) The apprearence of black on the velvet, on the main beam and the end of the points will tell you if growth is still coming. The bigger the black spot the more growth left. You can see in Nube's buck on post #17, that the tines have that black mark on them, and the main beam on the bucks right side after the G1 has that black mark as well. That gives me an idea he will put on a little more mass there, and definatly some tine length.

These are just My observations and some of my buddies, We have made over the years. We also know that were not scientist or not every deer is the same and exceptions are definatly out there. But we use this in our scouting and it has done us well so far.Again this is how I see things I could very well be off on my thinking.

whitetail Junkie
06-27-2010, 04:26 PM
I get the Feeling that alot of you guys have been useing Trail-cams to scout in the summer!!!(which is Fine).

I'm Just curious to know how many deer hunting seasons do guys actully shoot the big buck in the Fall that you have been watching on the trail cam's all summer.?

Sometimes ive seen pictures of hunter's with there buck and they also have trail pictures of the deer,which is kind of cool!!!

pottymouth
06-27-2010, 05:07 PM
I get the Feeling that alot of you guys have been useing Trail-cams to scout in the summer!!!(which is Fine).

I'm Just curious to know how many deer hunting seasons do guys actully shoot the big buck in the Fall that you have been watching on the trail cam's all summer.?

Sometimes ive seen pictures of hunter's with there buck and they also have trail pictures of the deer,which is kind of cool!!!

I usually leave mine out all year, and depending on the buck, some I have taken that fall to get, and some like my big ones up to 3 years. Trail cams are just one of the tools, along with extensive scouting 9 months outta the year. Plus I'm intrested in the science behind deer and behaviors as well.

I for one find one buck I'm intrested in and only chase that buck , which regretfully has made me pass up on stuff i shouldn't have.

Elkaholic6
06-27-2010, 05:10 PM
I usually leave mine out all year, and depending on the buck, some I have taken that fall to get, and some like my big ones up to 3 years. Trail cams are just one of the tools, along with extensive scouting 9 months outta the year. Plus I'm intrested in the science behind deer and behaviors as well.

I for one find one buck I'm intrested in and only chase that buck , which regretfully has made me pass up on stuff i shouldn't have.

So if you're chasing a 175, but on the last day a 160 walks out.. You pass on it?

pottymouth
06-27-2010, 05:15 PM
So if you're chasing a 175, but on the last day a 160 walks out.. You pass on it?

I'm nutz , but YA I would and have.

I was chasing that buck in the pics, and on the 2nd last day the one year, I passed on a solid 185 ( 3 yards), just for a chance at the big guy.

Plus that 160 might be a 190 the next year!

Elkaholic6
06-27-2010, 05:21 PM
I'm nutz , but YA I would and have.

I was chasing that buck in the pics, and on the 2nd last day the one year, I passed on a solid 185 ( 3 yards), just for a chance at the big guy.

Plus that 160 might be a 190 the next year!

Haha.... Wow. You are nutz. I barely let 140's walk on the last day..

Being THAT picky pay off? I'm starting to get the itch to kill again and might have to lower my standards this fall :rolleye2:

pottymouth
06-27-2010, 05:24 PM

Being THAT picky pay off? I'm starting to get the itch to kill again and might have to lower my standards this fall :rolleye2:

Ya definatly has payed off.

But I have eaten tag soup many years doing that, and sometimes I get consumed by one buck, I don't have time to hunt anything else. There's always a trade off.

nube
06-27-2010, 05:46 PM

That's part of the problem. Why shoot a buck just because you are running out of time. If you need meat there are a lot of opportunities for meat hunts out there.
I used to kill the last day buck as well and I am not picking on you Elkaholic but trying to make a point that those that are true trophy will pass up those smaller deer to live for another year for yourself or a chance for someone else to kill a big one.
I don't like shooting at something under 170" in most cases as that is what I will put on my wall. If it isn't big enough for the wall I don't want to kill it.

Elkaholic6
06-27-2010, 05:54 PM
That's part of the problem. Why shoot a buck just because you are running out of time. If you need meat there are a lot of opportunities for meat hunts out there.
I used to kill the last day buck as well and I am not picking on you Elkaholic but trying to make a point that those that are true trophy will pass up those smaller deer to live for another year for yourself or a chance for someone else to kill a big one.
I don't like shooting at something under 170" in most cases as that is what I will put on my wall. If it isn't big enough for the wall I don't want to kill it.

I'm still young. Not even 18 yet. I already have a 140, now I'm aiming for a 150, then a 160, and so on.. I like to think that don't pass on something you wouldn't pass on the last day. I have lots of time to be picky. But don't be me wrong, if I know of a place that holds a 170, I'm gonna hunt it hard and everytime I can. Just hard around here, so much pressure the big ones go nocturnal and when you have them patterned, rut comes then bam, they are 5 miles from where they were before. But I'm young, I got lots to learn haha.

nube
06-27-2010, 06:02 PM
It's all good. As a young guy you like to get a deer by the end and I understand that. I know how hard it is to pass on a deer. I cringe every time I see a 160 buck walk by. I just know that if I do and the deer does well the next year he is going to be bigger possibly. I am not a meat hunter and give most of mine away so to eat my tag is not a big deal. I kill a few does for people I know and shoot the odd moose for the firehall meals as the guys like it and killing a few critters like that keeps the thrill of the kill going in me.

Elkaholic6
06-27-2010, 06:09 PM
It's all good. As a young guy you like to get a deer by the end and I understand that. I know how hard it is to pass on a deer. I cringe every time I see a 160 buck walk by. I just know that if I do and the deer does well the next year he is going to be bigger possibly. I am not a meat hunter and give most of mine away so to eat my tag is not a big deal. I kill a few does for people I know and shoot the odd moose for the firehall meals as the guys like it and killing a few critters like that keeps the thrill of the kill going in me.

The difference there is that you're probably the only one in your hunting "spot". While I'm one of many. So if I pass on a 160, the next guy that comes along is gonna shoot it. So why not me be the guy to shoot it and have a trophy and get the amazing feeling and reward? When I get VIP status around here and be the only one in a spot, I'll start to let the 160's go so I can get my dream 200 class. But that all comes with time, and I'm sure you've put in your time.

whitetail Junkie
06-27-2010, 07:08 PM
I'm still young. Not even 18 yet. I already have a 140, now I'm aiming for a 150, then a 160, and so on.. I like to think that don't pass on something you wouldn't pass on the last day. I have lots of time to be picky. But don't be me wrong, if I know of a place that holds a 170, I'm gonna hunt it hard and everytime I can. Just hard around here, so much pressure the big ones go nocturnal and when you have them patterned, rut comes then bam, they are 5 miles from where they were before. But I'm young, I got lots to learn haha.

Your Still very young,dont hesitate to shoot a 150,thats still a very nice buck.Get some Kill's under your Belt.You cant be too picky.

I hunt just south of High prarie for whitetail and I live in Medicine hat.We go in there blind every year,no trail cam's,etc.So If I see a buck that looks good to ME,i'm going to pull the Trigger.Alot of times you have only seconds to make a decesion on a buck and a 170 can easily turn into a 150 when you walk up to him,but hey it's also went the other way for me aswell!!!

Just go hunting have Fun,and shoot whatever buck makes you happy.I get bugged from my Father and cousins because I shoot deer smaller than one's they have passed up,but I could care less,because i'm always happy with getting a decent deer.Just Shoot!!!

BrownBear416
06-27-2010, 07:20 PM

Keep at it young man..

140 is a great back and there are many hunters alot older then you that have not closed there tag on a buck of this size...

Slowly keep getting bigger and maybe if you are in the right spot at the right time you will jump from 140 to 180 in one season :)

nube
06-27-2010, 07:41 PM
That is quite true. As a young guy I say giver. Then down the road you will feel you need to give yourself more of a chalenge and then step it up a notch.

Any other pics on that Deer of yours BB or do you only have a couple?

Keep at it young man..

140 is a great back and then are many hunters alot older then you that have not closed there tag on a buck of this size...

Slowly keep getting bigger and maybe if you are in the right spot at the right time you will jump from 140 to 180 in one season :)

BrownBear416
06-27-2010, 07:49 PM
One more pic from behind Nube.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s27/BrownBear416/010-7.jpg

Elkaholic6
06-27-2010, 07:50 PM
Thanks guys!

I'll be sure to giver my all to get a BBD!

Forgot to mention I have till I am 28 to shoot something bigger then a 192"! Damn Dad lucked out and shot a 192 non typ for his first buck haha.

nube
06-27-2010, 07:55 PM
Thanks BB. Hopefully he is tied up so you can keep tabs on him and his growth. Let's hope he gets there and you get a crack at him this fall.
Nice to see he made the winter anyways eh!

BrownBear416
06-27-2010, 08:12 PM
Thanks BB. Hopefully he is tied up so you can keep tabs on him and his growth. Let's hope he gets there and you get a crack at him this fall.
Nice to see he made the winter anyways eh!

Ya between my cam and my brother checking wells in the area we should be able to keep track of him.

My brother is convinced he will make 170 so he is following this thread closely.lol

Our winter was super mild so the deer are really heathly and are eating well :)

I dont even know if I will hunt this buck as I am usually somewhere else bowhunting when Aug 25th rolls around.And You know as well as I do that hunting in Nov with no buck tag in your pocket is a awfully lonely feeling :thinking-006:

hunter10
06-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Ya between my cam and my brother checking wells in the area we should be able to keep track of him.

My brother is convinced he will make 170 so he is following this thread closely.lol

Our winter was super mild so the deer are really heathly and are eating well :)

I dont even know if I will hunt this buck as I am usually somewhere else bowhunting when Aug 25th rolls around.And You know as well as I do that hunting in Nov with no buck tag in your pocket is a awfully lonely feeling :thinking-006:

IF you don't take him, I'll drive up!:acigar:

BrownBear416
06-27-2010, 09:43 PM
IF you don't take him, I'll drive up!:acigar:

Ya drive up in the big white chev and then I'll send you home on the bus :47b20s0::47b20s0:

hunter10
06-27-2010, 09:45 PM
Ya drive up in the big white chev and then I'll send you home on the bus :47b20s0::47b20s0:

K it's actually silver!

don't wanna high jack.

But BB I think that whitey should be a solid 160-170 deer!

BrownBear416
06-27-2010, 09:48 PM
K it's actually silver!

don't wanna high jack.

But BB I think that whitey should be a solid 160-170 deer!

Ya ok the silver one will be fine :)

hunter10
06-27-2010, 09:50 PM
Ya ok the silver one will be fine :)

The way you take care of your own rig, i doubt it!!:fighting0030:

killerbren
06-28-2010, 10:13 PM
BB, I think that will be a pretty fine deer this fall. I am concerned about the mass on him though but with 60 days to go I think those points will be pretty long. Love all the junk around the brow tines too! I just went and checked my trailcams today and caught pics of two deer I think are going to be dandy's.

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/killerbren/SUNP0151.jpg
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/killerbren/SUNP0152.jpg
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/killerbren/SUNP0211.jpg
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/killerbren/SUNP0217.jpg
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/killerbren/SUNP02412.jpg
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/killerbren/SUNP0257.jpg

The Bit Runner.
06-28-2010, 10:30 PM
B.B,

I have been studing this topic for the last 4 years very intensively & I believe
it is all about the deer. Some deer will put on masive amounts of horn by the end of june and others will take till mid aug and just put it on steady. Here are a few pics and examples.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/shanester900/SUNP0158.jpg This Deer Has Huge Growth and its only the end of june.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/shanester900/SUNP0158.jpg Look at this deer closley and now look at the next pic almost 6 weeks later.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/shanester900/SUNP0019.jpg Notice his frame never changed a whole bunch other than the length of his points.

Here are a couple pics of a deer from this year. I know this deer well and he will be in the mid 170s I think this year. When i get home on the 9th of july i will check my cameras and post his pics again. You will see what he was on June 10th and then 30 days later.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/shanester900/21.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/shanester900/12.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/shanester900/19.jpg
Notice this next deer pic he has his frame already and i am willing to bet he does not put on more than 20 more inches of horn this year.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/shanester900/10.jpg

Here are a couple 2014 Models!!
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/shanester900/7.jpg

pottymouth
06-28-2010, 10:33 PM
Killerbren, those bucks definatly have some great potential, goodluck.

BR, that's a great whitey as well, post some more comparison pics if you got any.

BrownBear416
06-28-2010, 11:58 PM
Killerbren, those bucks definatly have some great potential, goodluck.

BR, that's a great whitey as well, post some more comparison pics if you got any.

X2

Killerbren that buck has some great Mass...

BR that buck from this year has a great frame and I cant wait to see some more pics later in the summer.You can tell he is a good buck.

Lots of great pics and info from guys that know there deer so keep it coming please.

whitetail Junkie
06-29-2010, 12:05 AM
X2

BR that buck from this year has a great frame and I cant wait to see some more pics later in the summer.You can tell he is a good buck.

Lots of great pics and info from guys that know there deer so keep it coming please.

x3 ,From what i've seen so far this year bit runner has the biggest buck on Trail Cam.looks like he might make non-typical!!! Great bucks aswell killerbren

hunter10
06-29-2010, 12:05 AM
X2

X2,

killerbren that last deer has some awesome mass, first deer is great so far!

flint
06-29-2010, 05:34 AM

If your interested in the behaviors of the whitetail, then here is a little trivial question that some of people don't know the answer. When a deer is peacefully grazing and before he takes it's next step, what physical action does it do? This question is for everyone, especially for the young hunters.

honda450
06-29-2010, 05:50 AM
If your interested in the behaviors of the whitetail, then here is a little trivial question that some of people don't know the answer. When a deer is peacefully grazing and before he takes it's next step, what physical action does it do? This question is for everyone, especially for the young hunters.

Tail flick, or twitch.

blackpheasant
06-29-2010, 05:52 AM

If he's a good 6X6 his physical action before taking another step would be falling over dead after being whacked by a 140 grain tsx bullet courtesy of the .270 wsm...

flint
06-29-2010, 06:16 AM
If he's a good 6X6 his physical action before taking another step would be falling over dead after being whacked by a 140 grain tsx bullet courtesy of the .270 wsm...

:lol::lol: but not the correct answer.

timba
06-29-2010, 07:21 AM
nice deer guys

timba

whitetail Junkie
06-29-2010, 01:40 PM
Tail flick, or twitch.

x2

hunter10
06-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Tail flick, or twitch.

X3, I dont really watch them that carefully but have seen that.

pottymouth
06-29-2010, 05:46 PM
Here's a couple off a buddy's camera, but my permission ( so my deer :sHa_shakeshout:)

albertadeer
06-29-2010, 06:09 PM
X3, I dont really watch them that carefully but have seen that.

though they do this alot, it can be for many reasons. If a deer feels insecure they will look alert and be doing large flicks of their tail...im sure you all have noticed that while getting busted by a dig ol doe... They will also flick to show that they are at ease...ie while feeding. If you watch these two flicks look completely different....Im not sure if this is the answer to the question. Cause im sure i have watched whitetails feed without flicking every step....

But they are amazing creatures, on the antler growth note. It appears they are coming along slow but good here. I think it was cause so many held there antlers sooo late. Some big full 6x6 elk already. But i have heard Elk antlers are the fastest growing thing in the world. Has anyone else heard this?

nube
07-01-2010, 03:27 PM
BR, Great pics and thanks for a bit of knowledge as well. I think it would be cool to be able to have pictures of a bunch of different deer every couple weeks and see the growth of them.

Potty, are those pictures of the same deer? It looks like they are but I am amazed at the growth. In the first picture I would have guessed that deer not to end up being more than a 135" deer. THe second picture I am thinking he has a chance to really look fantastic at the end of growing season. I 'm a little worried he may only be a 5x4 as it looks like that so far but he is a great buck and has a lot of growing left I believe and has some outstanding bases
Keep updating us boys

pottymouth
07-01-2010, 07:23 PM
BR, Great pics and thanks for a bit of knowledge as well. I think it would be cool to be able to have pictures of a bunch of different deer every couple weeks and see the growth of them.

Potty, are those pictures of the same deer? It looks like they are but I am amazed at the growth. In the first picture I would have guessed that deer not to end up being more than a 135" deer. THe second picture I am thinking he has a chance to really look fantastic at the end of growing season. I 'm a little worried he may only be a 5x4 as it looks like that so far but he is a great buck and has a lot of growing left I believe and has some outstanding bases
Keep updating us boys

Nube, there actually 2 different deer, the second one , has been a missing a G4 on that side for the last 3 yrs. He still ends up being quite the impressive deer, usually netting in the 160-165 range, hard to make that 170 mark being lop sided. Having that other G4 would make him a great quality buck forsure.

nube
07-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Are they too small for you or hard to find during hunting season? Maybe they are too much like pets after watching them for so long?
Fantastic deer. Any pics with velvet off?

pottymouth
07-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Are they too small for you or hard to find during hunting season? Maybe they are too much like pets after watching them for so long?

Ya there's just been bigger bucks in the area, that I hold out for. But this year , from what I saw last year, I might have to pull the pin on him, or brother that has the G4, but is camera shy.I'll see if I can dig some last years hard horned.

hunter10
07-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Ya there's just been bigger bucks in the area, that I hold out for. But this year , from what I saw last year, I might have to pull the pin on him, or brother that has the G4, but is camera shy.I'll see if I can dig some last years hard horned.

Just call me up, I'll take him!!

pottymouth
07-01-2010, 09:47 PM

Baby steps , Grasshopper!

Right now your like that Elite commercial, just growing up with your trophy, and drawing back , Soon you'll be like the Buck Commander commercial and we all will watch you pinwheel a slob!!!:sHa_shakeshout:

whitetail Junkie
07-01-2010, 09:48 PM

Most Big bucks Are Travelling more during the hunting season.I have permission on land up North where my Family and the Land owner's Family hunt on.Many animals have been taken on this land,some of the bucks shot they reconize,but the biggest of the bucks taken have always been deer that they have never laid eye's on, and they watch there fields 365 days of the year.

However If your Running Trail cams during the hunting Season,that could Tell you Something.Are there Trail cam's out there where you can look at the pictures on the actual Trail camera while it's still attached to the tree,instead of having to get them on a computer to view them??? Whats the best make and model in your opinion?

whitetail Junkie
07-01-2010, 09:49 PM

x2:sHa_shakeshout:

pottymouth
07-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Most Big bucks Are Travelling more during the hunting season.I have permission on land up North where my Family and the Land owner's Family hunt on.Many animals have been taken on this land,some of the bucks shot they reconize,but the biggest of the bucks taken have always been deer that they have never laid eye's on, and they watch there fields 365 days of the year.

However If your Running Trail cams during the hunting Season,that could Tell you Something.Are there Trail cam's out there where you can look at the pictures on the actual Trail camera while it's still attached to the tree,instead of having to get them on a computer to view them??? Whats the best make and model in your opinion?

Do your research and see what you like, I like my Moultree's.They all com standard with the same options now, you jsut gotta figure out how much you want to spend and what options. I carry 2 memory cards for each camera. I pull the full one, load the new one and off I go, I look through them on my regular picture camera.

whitetail Junkie
07-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Do your research and see what you like, I like my Moultree's.They all com standard with the same options now, you jsut gotta figure out how much you want to spend and what options. I carry 2 memory cards for each camera. I pull the full one, load the new one and off I go, I look through them on my regular picture camera.

So are memory cards for Trail cams and regular camera's pretty universal??? Do they make Trail cams that you can just instantley view the pic's on the trail cam?

pottymouth
07-01-2010, 10:02 PM
So are memory cards for Trail cams and regular camera's pretty universal??? Do they make Trail cams that you can just instantley view the pic's on the trail cam?

Yup X 2

I even heard of software that you can view what your camera see's at anytime from home!!

whitetail Junkie
07-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Yup X 2

I even heard of software that you can view what your camera see's at anytime from home!!

Thanx,anytips for them in -30 c weather? you run them lithium batteries? how much are moultree's? I saw @ WSS they had bushnell's for $119.00. That would be funny if a man bought Ten of them and carpet bombed an area with them during hunting season(lol).how many do you run?

pottymouth
07-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Thanx,anytips for them in -30 c weather? you run them lithium batteries? how much are moultree's? I saw @ WSS they had bushnell's for $119.00. That would be funny if a man bought Ten of them and carpet bombed an area with them during hunting season(lol).how many do you run?

Always bring extra batteries, they die quicker the colder it gets. I think I own 7-8 and my buddy has another 3-4.

nube
07-01-2010, 10:16 PM

WOW, the first time you have talked to me in a nice way. This must be the first time you have not called me a poacher either. Maybe you are the grasshoper and are finaly growing up there Tyler. A big congrats to you.

Don't worry about teaching me how and where to find a big deer during any part of the season. I understand how it works but thanks for your help.

My trail cameras run only in the winter untill this year. I have a handfull of them out but will have another half dozen or more out next year during the summer. I just have to build some more bear proof boxes for the summer expeditions. I have 8 cameras out now and will have some awesome pictures in about 3 weeks when I get back to check them out.

My batteries will last at least a month in them and I take a laptop with me to download pics while I drive around and check cameras. I just swap cards and batteries if needs be and I can view the pictures on a big screen.

I build my own cameras. That is the best make and model. I can wire up my cameras to 2 D cells and take a couple thousand pictures before they drain the batteries or more. They can also take video if I want to or just pictures. Never really tried video yet but I may give it a go this winter. The flash is very good for night pics and they pictures have good color and are not grainy even on a crappy 1 megapixel setting which I used quite often so I can get more pictures on camera.
If I were to buy one I don't know which one I would want to get. Chasingame.com I believe can give you the best advice. I find all the storeboughts confusing to use and crappy for the ones I have played with.
With mine I turn it on and it does whatever I program it to do. I flip little dip swtches to make the camera function how I want to and it is so easy my kids can used it.
I find it hard to believe you would want a camera anyways. Is that not cheating? Kind of like road hunting or are the Villamer's allowed to used trail cameras now?

BrownBear416
07-01-2010, 10:20 PM

Cheap ones work fine for spring and summer but when the -30 hits you want something reliable.I have had my treebark cam set up in every type of weather and it always works..

Even if you arent killing the animals on the tcam its so exciting to see whats there when your not. Most of my buddies run 3 or 4 and get a pile of big buck pics in the fall.

I only have one so I dont get as many but when i need it its there.Like the buck I got pics off in this thread.My bro seen it in the area so I set my cam up and now I can see what kinda buck it is..

I wanna buy one more Tcam though because I have a few spots I would like a cam on...

Anyone want to trade one for a Crooked Horn High Country pack?? :)

nube
07-01-2010, 10:25 PM
If you want another one I can make you one BB.

pottymouth
07-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Nube, what's cost run you?

nube
07-01-2010, 10:47 PM
PM sent.

whitetail Junkie
07-01-2010, 11:00 PM
WOW, the first time you have talked to me in a nice way. This must be the first time you have not called me a poacher either. Maybe you are the grasshoper and are finaly growing up there Tyler. A big congrats to you.

Don't worry about teaching me how and where to find a big deer during any part of the season. I understand how it works but thanks for your help.

My trail cameras run only in the winter untill this year. I have a handfull of them out but will have another half dozen or more out next year during the summer. I just have to build some more bear proof boxes for the summer expeditions. I have 8 cameras out now and will have some awesome pictures in about 3 weeks when I get back to check them out.

My batteries will last at least a month in them and I take a laptop with me to download pics while I drive around and check cameras. I just swap cards and batteries if needs be and I can view the pictures on a big screen.

I build my own cameras. That is the best make and model. I can wire up my cameras to 2 D cells and take a couple thousand pictures before they drain the batteries or more. They can also take video if I want to or just pictures. Never really tried video yet but I may give it a go this winter. The flash is very good for night pics and they pictures have good color and are not grainy even on a crappy 1 megapixel setting which I used quite often so I can get more pictures on camera.
If I were to buy one I don't know which one I would want to get. Chasingame.com I believe can give you the best advice. I find all the storeboughts confusing to use and crappy for the ones I have played with.
With mine I turn it on and it does whatever I program it to do. I flip little dip swtches to make the camera function how I want to and it is so easy my kids can used it.
I find it hard to believe you would want a camera anyways. Is that not cheating? Kind of like road hunting or are the Villamer's allowed to used trail cameras now?

Well Phillip,You must have caught me on one of my better days,when it comes to you.I dont remeber calling yaa a poacher??? Road warrior you are,poacher??? Dont remember saying that.either way it does'nt matter.

I dont know if i'd use a camera if I bought one.I live 8 hours from where I hunt in alberta and 10 hours from where I hunt in Saskatchewan.I could'nt imagine the damage we would do if we lived and had the oppurtunity to scout all the time where my family hunts up north.Do you hunt on your own land?

Your home-made camera's sound like they work great,however I would probably just buy one like potty's or BB.The Lac labiche Villemaire's have a few Trail-cams but rarely use them.My one cousin actully had a homemade camera like yours that was running off a solor panel,no batteries,he had $600 in it.one day he went to check it and some logger's accidentley bull-dozed it:sHa_sarcasticlol: I laughed!!!!

Either way Good luck this Fall & shoot straight.
The Biggest are yet to come!!! Grasshopper out:)

whitetail Junkie
07-01-2010, 11:05 PM
Cheap ones work fine for spring and summer but when the -30 hits you want something reliable.I have had my treebark cam set up in every type of weather and it always works..

Even if you arent killing the animals on the tcam its so exciting to see whats there when your not. Most of my buddies run 3 or 4 and get a pile of big buck pics in the fall.

I only have one so I dont get as many but when i need it its there.Like the buck I got pics off in this thread.My bro seen it in the area so I set my cam up and now I can see what kinda buck it is..

I wanna buy one more Tcam though because I have a few spots I would like a cam on...

Anyone want to trade one for a Crooked Horn High Country pack?? :)
Thanx for the advice,yaa get what you pay for hey!!!!,might have to put one up in the Martin hills!!! (Maybe)

ishootbambi
07-01-2010, 11:18 PM
I dont know if i'd use a camera if I bought one.I live 8 hours from where I hunt in alberta and 10 hours from where I hunt in Saskatchewan.I could'nt imagine the damage we would do if we lived and had the oppurtunity to scout all the time where my family hunts up north.

i feel the same. i wish i was closer to the deer i hunt. in a way i miss those days when i knew my local deer by name and could hunt specific bucks. of course when i look around the house and see what has changed since those days.....i wouldnt change a thing.

whitetail Junkie
07-01-2010, 11:32 PM
i feel the same. i wish i was closer to the deer i hunt. in a way i miss those days when i knew my local deer by name and could hunt specific bucks. of course when i look around the house and see what has changed since those days.....i wouldnt change a thing.

Your house around the Hat? There are some good one's around cypress hills and in southern alberta in general,but it aint like that north country.You and I dont drive so far from home to hunt area's with small bucks.plus it's the adventure of the great northern wilderness.I will still hunt early november down south,and even if I did shoot a great buck down here I could'nt imagine sitting in the cabin up north in alberta for ten days while everyone else was out hunting area's that could possibly hold 200" deer.

However who ever fills his tag first in our family becomes the scouter.in morning and before dark,the tagged out guys sit in new fields to see what comes out.We always work as a Team that way NO sleeping in (lol).

ishootbambi
07-01-2010, 11:47 PM
thats how to do it alright. the kind of deer im interested in killing just doesnt live near where i do. i can only imagine what i might see if i lived where i hunt. id love to bowhunt the mules up there, but i just cant make time for everything. of course there are a few locals up there that only cruise roads and only do that on weekends and they wonder why they have never killed big deer. i guess everyone is a little different in how seriously they do something.

whitetail Junkie
07-01-2010, 11:53 PM
thats how to do it alright. the kind of deer im interested in killing just doesnt live near where i do. i can only imagine what i might see if i lived where i hunt. id love to bowhunt the mules up there, but i just cant make time for everything. of course there are a few locals up there that only cruise roads and only do that on weekends and they wonder why they have never killed big deer. i guess everyone is a little different in how seriously they do something.

Well I cant wait,The Summer is the Back stretch and hardest time of the year for me to get through.It's always around draw time when I get the itch,and i'm already haveing trouble falling asleep some nights thinking of Big Bucks and Duck hunting.Besides Fishing, summer Blows.

BrownBear416
07-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Well i checked my cam today and only had one pic of a buck using the trail.I am dissapointed the pic was not better as I cant be sure its the same buck or not.Judging by the body size I think it is him but to hard to tell.If you look close you can see the tips of his G2's.. :sHa_shakeshout:

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s27/BrownBear416/009-4.jpg

walking buffalo
07-02-2010, 07:16 PM
BrownBear416

Based on the strain showing in the buck's lower neck, I'm convinced that guy is at least 185, :sHa_shakeshout:

killerbren
07-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Just thought I would post these pics showing growth between june 23 and july 3. Look at the dates, not a ton of growth but still cool.

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/killerbren/019.jpg
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/killerbren/113.jpg
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/killerbren/172.jpg
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/killerbren/191.jpg

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/killerbren/049.jpg
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/killerbren/119.jpg
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/killerbren/153.jpg
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/killerbren/195.jpg

nube
07-05-2010, 10:53 PM
Thanks for keeping us in the loop. You sure have him trained to come back every few days. Good for watching his growth. He doesn't look like he has sprouted much but maybe this month he will take off.
I am going to check mine in another 2 weeks. It will be about a month by then. I am itching to check them sooner but there is nothing to gain fom it. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning.

killerbren
07-05-2010, 11:30 PM
Thanks for keeping us in the loop. You sure have him trained to come back every few days. Good for watching his growth. He doesn't look like he has sprouted much but maybe this month he will take off.
I am going to check mine in another 2 weeks. It will be about a month by then. I am itching to check them sooner but there is nothing to gain fom it. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning.

I hear you, I have 11/13 cameras running and try to check them every 2-3 weeks. I've been checking them sooner because im still setting some new ones up and working some bugs out of other ones.

ishootbambi
07-05-2010, 11:35 PM
ill stick my neck out and venture a guess. i think he'll be better than 170 when hes done. good luck putting a tag on him this fall.

BrownBear416
07-07-2010, 05:13 PM
June 24th-July 3rd Growth..

Well I checked the cam today and had a few pics of the buck.He has put on 10 inch plus growth in 9 days.Mostly in tine length and main beam.

He has 8 black nobs on his bases now.I think they will be just little tiny base trash but 3 of them points will be stickers.I can see 3 that are already decent length .

He seems to be using this trail every 3 or 4 days so hopefully I can keep getting pics.He was really nervous in these recent pics and I think its because a bat was dive bombing him.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s27/BrownBear416/016-3.jpg

hunter10
07-07-2010, 05:29 PM
looking pretty decent!

nube
07-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Awesome!!!! I think you need to get some close ups BB. Maybe grab a bag of apples or patatoes and throw it about 5 ft in front of the cam next time you go by there.

BrownBear416
07-07-2010, 05:41 PM
looking pretty decent!

Ya i wish i could post a bigger pic.Its hard to get a good look at it without zooming in.

nube
07-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Ya i wish i could post a bigger pic.Its hard to get a good look at it without zooming in.

And people wonder why I want to use Salt blocks:lol::rolleyes:

BrownBear416
07-07-2010, 06:54 PM
And people wonder why I want to use Salt blocks:lol::rolleyes:

lol When you checking your cams Nube?

I still am not sure if this buck will amount to a shooter or not but he put on good growth in 9 days. At least 7-8 inch in tine length and a couple inchs on the main beam.Looks like his stickers are growing as well.

I wish he would have lifted his head in the other pic i posted a few days ago as we would have had a great look at his rack.

pottymouth
07-08-2010, 03:13 PM
BB, judging by that pick, I would have to say G4, and MB still may have an inch or so in them, and a little bit more pass through the tines, maybe some nt points on the bases, but hard to tell without a close up .

BrownBear416
07-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Here's the best I could do..

1st set of pics I thought he was around 107-110 gross

Now i think he is around 120 gross.What do you guys think?

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s27/BrownBear416/006-5.jpg

nube
07-08-2010, 04:11 PM
I am not getting out till another 2 weeks from now. My cameas will last at least a month and get a couple thousand pics if needed. I am itching so bad to get out it hurts but why rush it.

Sorry to say this BB but I don't think he will reach 170"+. His one brow tine looks like it will be short and he is narrow in width. I think he needs quite a bit of mass still. But on the other side of things who knows what will grow and how fast. We all ahve admitted that it is hard to really say what and how much a deer will grow and i don't think you will kow for sure till the mid of August. I sure hope he does it for you. You said he was a 165" last year did you not? I don't know if he will get that this year even and if he doesn't he may have reached his peak for growing horn. It will be interesting what grow on his bases as he looks like he may add up some good numbers on those if they can get some length. Keep cheering him on. Thanks for the zoom. i hope you can get a good side shot of him as well.

pottymouth
07-08-2010, 04:13 PM
I think forsure you'll get at least 8-12 more inches of length on the typical points. I would say he Gross about 130-35 ish like that.

BrownBear416
07-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Keep the opinions coming boys.My feelings are pretty hard to hurt and I post the pics because I want to hear what you think.:)

Not sure if this buck will turn into anything good but we will have to watch and see..

nube
07-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Potential is there for sure, so keep a smile. It's just one of those things it is hard to say what he will be for sure in the end.
Keep getting his pics and go find another one as plan B

BrownBear416
07-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Potential is there for sure, so keep a smile. It's just one of those things it is hard to say what he will be for sure in the end.
Keep getting his pics and go find another one as plan B

You betcha...

I got a line on one that might be pushing the (200) inch mark so I am gonna try getting pics of it.Also my brother spotted a heavy non typ the other day so he is also on the hit list.I bought 3 more cheap cams off an AO member so when the arrive I will set them up in the area.I need like 20 cams though lol

hunter10
07-08-2010, 07:54 PM
You betcha...

I got a line on one that might be pushing the (200) inch mark so I am gonna try getting pics of it.Also my brother spotted a heavy non typ the other day so he is also on the hit list.I bought 3 more cheap cams off an AO member so when the arrive I will set them up in the area.I need like 20 cams though lol

while your getting 20, get me 20, lol.

Yeah im with nube, deer has a lot of potential. wait a couple of years and he will be a nice deer!

bucknaked333
07-08-2010, 07:55 PM
I am with Nube on salt blocks and minerals, They have got me more repeat pictures than ever. I have got the same moose and calf over a dozen times and a group of bucks a hand full. Elk really like it also, they seem to hang in the area for a couple hours.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a126/bucknaked333/DSC_0034.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a126/bucknaked333/DSC_0030.jpg

drake
07-08-2010, 09:36 PM
I wonder if we could arrange some kind of a group buy direct from a reputable cam manufacturer.......ide be interested in picking up 3 or 4. Ill do some digging and update if anything pans out.

BrownBear416
07-08-2010, 10:31 PM
I wonder if we could arrange some kind of a group buy direct from a reputable cam manufacturer.......ide be interested in picking up 3 or 4. Ill do some digging and update if anything pans out.

lol that would be pretty sweet.Problem is figuring out which ones are the best that wont break the bank.Man there is a ton of brands out there.

pottymouth
07-09-2010, 12:57 AM

I get huge discounts from Wild Game Innovations, if that helps.

Dr0pTine
07-09-2010, 07:41 AM
what about this guy, have heard there is a 200+ class muley out there is this him?

timba
07-09-2010, 07:54 AM
Its kind of hard to tell the deer on the left is the one I shot with the bow and he ended up 142.

BB I think that deer in your pic will go pretty good

killerbren
07-13-2010, 10:59 PM
Okay im pretty sure this is a different deer than the last one I posted. Very similar but just a tad wider, and the left brow tine is a tiny bit longer. In the other one the right brow is longer, plus the other one is getting a split G2 so im sure this is a different buck. Anyways, heres a pic of him on the July 3rd and then again a week later.

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/killerbren/012.jpg

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/killerbren/025.jpg

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/killerbren/SUNP0630.jpg

BrownBear416
07-13-2010, 11:30 PM
Man that last one is a real beauty KB..

killerbren
07-13-2010, 11:40 PM
sorry, I have to clarify. All three pics are of the same deer, a week apart. What I meant was this was a different deer than the sequence I posted 10 days ago...

pottymouth
07-13-2010, 11:41 PM
what about this guy, have heard there is a 200+ class muley out there is this him?

Hard to tell from those pics, If the date is true, he has a chance to be a real good buck. You should know by the end of the month forsure. Depending the area your in, I would say he's a little thin for 200 on mass, but thats not a rule. I would be really intrested to see what he is by next week, i'm sure he will crack the 170 if his points come in , with the the frame he showing, I bet he ends up with 22-25 inch MB's

BrownBear416
07-13-2010, 11:42 PM
sorry, I have to clarify. All three pics are of the same deer, a week apart. What I meant was this was a different deer than the sequence I posted 10 days ago...

Ahhh gotcha

He is growing fast and has it all..

Mass,width,big brows...just needs to grow his length a bit..

jayb22
07-15-2010, 11:21 PM
This guy is growing a lot more than I had expected.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/futball22/hunting/trail%20camera/IM000072.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/futball22/hunting/trail%20camera/IM000055.jpg

Rockymtnx
07-15-2010, 11:26 PM
jayb22, that bottom buck sure looks like a dandy!
If you get any whole pictures of him, please share with us.

bucknaked333
07-15-2010, 11:42 PM
That bottom one is a great deer, but that top one is a different deer. Different markings around the mouth..
What kind of bushnell do you have?

jayb22
07-15-2010, 11:48 PM
That's all I have of him. I had my camera left on 30sec intervals between pictures. It got triggered before he showed up and after the 30sec this was the first pic I got of him, the next one is just of his backside. After looking at the scars on the cheeks and the bump at the base of the left antler I am pretty sure they are the same two bucks. just a lot of growth in a month. I have two cameras out right now trying to get better pictures of him. I'm going to get my cards this weekend so hopefully I can get some better pics to share.

jayb22
07-15-2010, 11:49 PM
The pics were taken from a Trophy cam.

BrownBear416
07-15-2010, 11:52 PM
The pics were taken from a Trophy cam.

Hye Jayb didnt you get the memo?

jayb22
07-15-2010, 11:54 PM
must not have, which memo is that?

BrownBear416
07-15-2010, 11:58 PM
must not have, which memo is that?

Your not allowed to post bucks that are wayyy bigger than mine because it causes me to become extremely jealous :sHa_shakeshout:

Man if thats the same buck that is some incredible growth and I think his best growing month is still yet to come..

Hope to see more pics of him or better yet a shoulder mount :)

jayb22
07-16-2010, 12:11 AM
haha, I thought there was some issue with the cameras or something. This buck is effecting my sleep already and I'm still months away. I sure hope I can get some better pics of him. Sorry if it caused any jealousy. Maybe this picture of a porcupine will help distract you.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/futball22/hunting/trail%20camera/IM000111.jpg

killerbren
07-16-2010, 09:51 AM
That bottom one is a great deer, but that top one is a different deer. Different markings around the mouth..
What kind of bushnell do you have?

I think its the same deer. Markings are similar plus look at the little sticker coming off the base of the left antler, same in both pics.

Mass is great, should be a great deer.

jayb22
07-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Yeah I'm excited to check my camera this weekend. Here are a couple more bucks I got with that first pic of the other buck. I still haven't had any up to date pics of them either.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/futball22/hunting/trail%20camera/IM000084.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/futball22/hunting/trail%20camera/IM000023.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/futball22/hunting/trail%20camera/IM000008.jpg

killerbren
07-29-2010, 09:21 AM
Okay guys, here is yet another sequence of that heavy deer ive been seeing. The first picture was taken on June 23 and the last on July 20.

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/killerbren/019.jpg
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/killerbren/172.jpg
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/killerbren/180.jpg
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/killerbren/215.jpg

same deer, front on shots...

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/killerbren/049.jpg
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/killerbren/153.jpg
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/killerbren/195.jpg
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/killerbren/216.jpg

kind of cool to watch him grow like that

TBark
07-29-2010, 11:57 AM
I used to run my 7 - 8 cams continually, and check'em 2 - 3 weeks before the new job here. Just no time right now, I do have 4 out, up north. Hopefully I'll get all the cams back out there soon, as seeing your guys pics has me re-thing my hrs of work LOL.

TBark

The Bit Runner.
08-05-2010, 02:33 AM
Here are a couple more deer pics.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/shanester900/SUNP0063.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/shanester900/28.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk159/shanester900/32.jpg

This is from the same cameras as eailer but these 2 deer look diferent but hard to tell.

BrownBear416
08-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Bit Runner..

I think I would kill that second buck :sHa_shakeshout:

Very cool..

I wonder if he is an old deer or just a young non typ..

The Bit Runner.
08-05-2010, 07:01 PM
I am not sure but i am willing to bet he is a 4 1/2 year old minimum,he has a bit of a belly. His dad was shot 1 mile south of my house last year,he went 185 gross.

BrownBear416
08-05-2010, 07:08 PM
I am not sure but i am willing to bet he is a 4 1/2 year old minimum,he has a bit of a belly. His dad was shot 1 mile south of my house last year,he went 185 gross.

Cool, couple years and he might be something pretty special..