PDA

View Full Version : Looking for opinions on a quality airline approved locking gun case......

Bosskoss
06-26-2010, 11:46 PM
Hi Guys,
I was looking for opinions/thoughts on what is the best airline approved locking gun case (Storm, Pelican, SKB ect) on the market? Pro's/con's......thanks in advance for your time.

Tundra Monkey
06-27-2010, 12:10 AM
I use the black pelican case....pretty much bullet proof and you can customize the inside to fit anything.

The trend I've seen from our hunters as of late is to use the ones that look like golf club carriers. They tend to not get chucked around by antis at the airports as much :thinking-006:

tm

Vince
06-27-2010, 12:44 AM
I d'ont know wich one is bettter' but i have myself a "protector series model 1502" nothing fancy case for 2 rifle.i like it cuz you can put lock in both end and the midle . I never had any problem in canada and usa...i think as long as you can put a lock on the case ,and you have your lock on your trigger, you should be ok. Me myself i never carry amo...if you do you have yo but separate amo box lock and they gone a check...also if you travel in canada i realy think West Jet is better...they dont charge extra for ffirearm case if not a extra luggage,and usualy they dont make you open the gun case

gramps73
06-27-2010, 12:44 AM
I use the Pelican one as well, if you go to BPS they are about 100 cheaper then the other stores in town..

Tundra Monkey
06-27-2010, 12:56 AM
Me myself i never carry amo...if you do you have yo but separate amo box lock and they gone a check...

Never had any problem with ammo. Just has to be in a separate checked piece of luggage and in a case of some type. The original cardboard box is acceptable.....just that it's not loose and bouncing around. You must declare it when checking in....they'll stick a piece of paper in there so when the behind the door guys rip through it it'll be ok.

I've heard some weird stories about guys coming out of the States though. Apparently some airlines differ on how things are done.....best to chat with who you're flying with prior to showing up at the airport.

Vince, if you ever head to the NT you should bring your own ammo cause it's pretty tough to find up here :sign0176:

tm

Duk Dog
06-27-2010, 07:42 PM
I was recently asking a similar question.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=60537

I'm planning on taking my Doskocil gun case, which by the looks of it is now made by Plano. As far as I can tell mine is the hard sided gun case, the AW series and I am guessing the double gun case with pressure release valve (minus the wheels). Thinking this should be a suitable case for airline travel?

http://www.planomolding.com/fall/products.asp

dave99
06-28-2010, 07:08 AM
Pelican. They are quite expensive, but in my experience they're by far the best gun cases.

skywrench
06-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Pelican cases are very tough. I've used a couple of 1550's as tool boxes for several years and they have held up far better than anything else I've tried. As an example I was travelling to Cambridge Bay during mid-winter on a First Air flight. On arrival in Cambridge I saw one of my cases (about 65 lb) dropped from the cargo bay of the plane onto the deck of a one ton flatbed and then it continued to the ground. All this occurred with the case cold soaked at -45C. While all the small Rubbermaid containers within the case were shattered, the Pelican case itself was only scratched up a bit - like I said, very tough. Another good option are Underwater Kinetics cases, I know several wrenches using these as well and they are also very tough and I do like their latches better. The UK case are made from ABS so should you decide to modify the case by compartmentalizing it you can buy sheet ABS and bond with standard ABS cement. It might not be a huge deal for a gun case but it is real handy for tool box conversions.

Bobby B.
06-28-2010, 02:25 PM
I used a TuffPak on my trip to Namibia and everything inside arrived just as it had left. The case is pretty much industructible and can hold one rifle or two, whichever you decide, plus alot of clothes and other items. It'll be going to Africa with me again this coming February.

I've heard the gold club cases work very well. In fact, that's what my buddy used on his trip to Namibia. And it was cheaper to buy than the TuffPak.

Bobby B.

Robert DeWitt
06-28-2010, 04:00 PM
I have never been to Canada from the states without having my gun case checked numerous times coming and going. As long as you have bolt removed or magazine open with a lock inserted you are fine. Never put ammo in gun case ! I always put mine in checked baggage in the original carton -no loose ammo allowed. I have used any of the better welded aluminum case with locks and never had a damage problem . Many times after check in and somewhere along the way I have had case reopened and even locks cut for behind the scene inspection . Usually a tag inserted to let you know of inspection. I also usually remove some of the foam inside of case and pack my binos -range finder or spotting scope inside to save on baggage charges.

sheephunter
06-28-2010, 04:03 PM
I used a TuffPak on my trip to Namibia and everything inside arrived just as it had left. The case is pretty much industructible and can hold one rifle or two, whichever you decide, plus alot of clothes and other items. It'll be going to Africa with me again this coming February.

I've heard the gold club cases work very well. In fact, that's what my buddy used on his trip to Namibia. And it was cheaper to buy than the TuffPak.

Bobby B.

Yup, I'm a fan of the TuffPack as well. We put both guns in one when we travelled to Africa and neither moved a hair off zero. You can pack a lot of stuff in the pack with it and really save on extra baggage charges as well.

twofifty
06-29-2010, 10:12 AM
.... Many times after check in and somewhere along the way I have had case reopened and even locks cut for behind the scene inspection . Usually a tag inserted to let you know of inspection. ....

Not disputing this, for it seems logic takes a back seat when it comes to guns, but what can baggage staff possibly be "inspecting" for?

I can imagine the scene: Hey, it looks like a gun, in a locked case, with a trigger lock. Joe grabs the bolt cutters and big azz screwdriver, saying "Let's make sure" and proceeds to scratch the receiver and base plate. He points the muzzle any which way, works the action, dry fires, then "yep, it's a gun allright."

Good thing guns in transit are always unloaded.

tony d
06-29-2010, 01:32 PM
have a look at the starlite cases I have the 2 gun case & have used it on flights tough & not too heavy
cheers Tony