PDA

View Full Version : Leeches & Dogs?

GooseSlammer
06-28-2010, 12:08 PM
Hey Everyone,

I'm heading up to Buffalo Lake this weekend to try my luck on some pike. Planning on taking my dog (Goldendoodle - long hair) and I'm wondering about leeches. I haven't ever taken him where that may be an issue.

:shark:

Do they latch onto dogs, and if so, how do I get them off the easiest without hurting the dog? Salt??

Is it worth concerning myself with if he goes for a swim?

Thanks.

P.S. - I'm putting up another post about Buffalo Lake access. I'm under the impression there's access at the Narrows, and also east of there. Tips on which is better? I know I can't keep pike in the Narrows...

Thanks.

DBP
06-28-2010, 12:59 PM
I lived at Rochan Sands for 8 years and was always in the water fishing or waterskiing and never had one on me or seen one. I have a lab and she never had any on her

Pudelpointer
06-28-2010, 01:05 PM
I can't imagine how this could be an issue for your dog. Leeches need a smooth place to attach, with no hair. How could that be possible on a "Goldendoodle"?

I have a very short haired dog, with very little hair in his groin area, and he spends a lot of time each year stand, splashing, and swimming in all sorts of water bodies that must have leeches in them. Never a problem.

Besides, if he got one on him, so what, just let it fall off on its own. They don't hurt anything, no disease transfer like tics and mosquitoes.

Cheers.

Rumtan
06-28-2010, 04:09 PM
I also have a goldendoodle......great dogs and mine only swims if he has to. He usually rides on the side of my pontoon boat when we go out. No problems with leeches yet but you have raised a good question >Do they attach to dogs?

floppychicken
06-28-2010, 09:09 PM
I can't imagine how this could be an issue for your dog. Leeches need a smooth place to attach, with no hair. How could that be possible on a "Goldendoodle"?

I have a very short haired dog, with very little hair in his groin area, and he spends a lot of time each year stand, splashing, and swimming in all sorts of water bodies that must have leeches in them. Never a problem.

Besides, if he got one on him, so what, just let it fall off on its own. They don't hurt anything, no disease transfer like tics and mosquitoes.

Cheers.

For Dogs?..Unlikely, but for Humans.... YES!

A leech does carry parasites in its digestive tract that can spread to humans whose blood it feeds on, but these parasites cannot survive in humans and pose no threat. However, if a leech has previously bitten someone with a blood-borne pathogen, such as hepatitis or HIV, these organisms can remain in the leech for months and can be transmitted to a subsequent victim. Infection of both hepatitis and HIV from leeches have been observed in West African countries. Leeches can also cause severe allergic reactions such as anaphylactic shock which can be fatal....

cheers,

whiskybaron
06-29-2010, 10:24 AM
My dog gets leeches all the time when we are duck hunting only on her bellt though werethe hair is thin or nonexistant, I just carry a little salt they come right off they dont seem to bother her and never had one while just swimming in the lake in the summer