PDA

View Full Version : Northern Pike and Walleye

abe9
06-28-2010, 12:28 PM
Hey guys, i'm heading up to beaver lake this weekend to do some fishing, and im just wondering if anyone has been up there and there experiences. Also i heard there is an abundant amount of pike and walleye up there, can anyone please suggest some methods, tips, and lures to use. Thanks

nicemustang
06-28-2010, 01:26 PM
I've never been, but general walleye tips. I prefer jigging if you can find a concentration. Always use as small as jig head as you can with the current, depth, wind, etc will allow. I usually stick with 1/32 oz for the most part. Use shiners for minnows and bring leeches too. Try classic walleye color first: green, yellow, orange or pink jig heads. No plastic bodies usually required. Bounce often on bottom, jig up and let fall often as well. Second technique is lindy rig. 3/8 or 1/2 oz weight, 4 foot 6 lb flouro leader, #8 red hook tied on snell. Slow drift, troll or cast and pull slow. Works best with leeches. Fish on transitions and structure. Stay on hard bottom near weed beds or soft bottom (stay on hard bottom). Or rocky, sandy, hard bottom shoreline on the windward blown side. This time of year 12-20 FOW should be good.

abe9
06-28-2010, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the info, will definately try those techniques out!

kreator
06-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Slip bobber and a leech, 14-20 feet along the shore south of Fish'n Friends campground. No need for anything else.

unclebuck
06-28-2010, 03:19 PM
Talk to Tony, the operator of the campground. He is usually a fountain of information.

abe9
06-28-2010, 09:15 PM
thanks guys.