PDA

View Full Version : Best time to hunt black bear

deaner
06-28-2010, 03:12 PM
I've been thinkin about going on a bear hunt next season and was wondering which is a better time to go(spring or fall). I've heard that the furs are better early spring but correct me if i'm wrong. Also where is a good area for a decent sized bear. I would like to shoot it with my bow. One more question, can you get the supplemental bear tag for all wmu's or just some.

pottymouth
06-28-2010, 03:18 PM
Not all Wmu's allow supp . bear tags, but check the regs to be sure.

I enjoy the Fall bear hunt, seems to alot more bigger bears out looking to pack on that last couple of pounds forsure. But saying that the spring hunt is a riot!

drake
06-28-2010, 06:36 PM
why are we worried about a supplemental tag when we dont even know where to find a bear......baby steps my friend

deaner
06-28-2010, 09:00 PM
Not all Wmu's allow supp . bear tags, but check the regs to be sure.

I enjoy the Fall bear hunt, seems to alot more bigger bears out looking to pack on that last couple of pounds forsure. But saying that the spring hunt is a riot!

When do the 2010 regs come out, i cant remember from last year.

(Quote= why are we worried about a supplemental tag when we dont even know where to find a bear......baby steps my friend)

I'm pretty sure i know where i could find some bears but just wondering if some areas are better than others. I get what you mean though. I'm just curious bout the supp. tags.

BrownBear416
06-28-2010, 09:29 PM
I've been thinkin about going on a bear hunt next season and was wondering which is a better time to go(spring or fall). I've heard that the furs are better early spring but correct me if i'm wrong. Also where is a good area for a decent sized bear. I would like to shoot it with my bow. One more question, can you get the supplemental bear tag for all wmu's or just some.

Spring time is the best time to hunt bear imo. Bears are out moving around lots looking for food and also looking for sows when the rut starts.Hides are also very thick and make great rugs.Bears are not as large as in the fall as they have used up most there fat reserves over winter but this does not effect length or skull size.

Fall time is also a great time to hunt as the bears are out and about all times of the day trying to pack on as much weight as possible.You will be more succesful if you target areas that have fields as the bears are easy to spot and pattern.In the bush areas that i hunt we dont see a pile of bears in the fall as it is so green and lush they can feed in the bush and dont have to come out in the open and on lines as much.I think in Oct the bears have picked out the den area and dont stray to far from that spot so Sept is the best month to get after them.Fall bears have nice thick hides and you would have a hard time telling the diff between a spring and fall hide.

Good Luck

noneck180
06-28-2010, 09:35 PM
when ever you can get holidays..