PDA

View Full Version : Water-fowling in 2011

duffy4
06-28-2010, 05:01 PM
We have a habit of having 20/20 hindsight. After the fact it is easier to see what should have been done.

But lets look to the future.

The oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico will likely have an impact on the water fowl that nests in the north and migrates to the south. Many of them will winter on the gulf or at least stop over there on there way farther south.

So it is possible that in the spring of 2011 the numbers of some waterfowl heading north to their nesting grounds will be down. And then the numbers of birds will be down in the fall hunting season.

So what should or could be done now to reduce the impact?

1. Reduce the bag limits in the fall of 2010 to allow greater numbers to pass south.

2. Increase 2010 bag limits so that birds are harvested rather than dieing in the oil spill.

3. Mobilize DU and other Conservation organizations to get working on as much "cleanup work" as possible before the birds get down there.

Zekeland
06-29-2010, 06:28 AM
Possesion limits have been increased in all 3 prairie provinces for this upcoming year.

I would be more worried about all the other shorebirds that hit the gulf in the winter. Less and less snows make it to the gulf in the last few years. As well, most of the mallards don't make it down that far south. At least thats what the arkansas boys have been saying.

The teal on the otherhand could be hurt big time!!! They generally go further south into South America.

super7mag
06-29-2010, 08:02 PM
Waddya say it's a f'n mess, I am not sure what affect it will have on next years water fowl but it sure doesn't help anything. I would think that DU would already be on this checking out the environmental impact for waterfowl and coming up with some sort of game plan. while BP does the ol' hurry up and wait the mess will only be gettin worse.

whitetail Junkie
06-29-2010, 08:09 PM
I'm going to be optimistic and Say that the oil spill will not have a Drastic impact on waterfowl for 2011.

However I would never be offended if the Bag limits for waterfowl were decreased.8 ducks and geese per day is more than plenty.However I dont think the Bag limits will change because the populations are in great shape,plus the government would'nt want to have to deal with the waterfowl outfitter's singing the blue's:sad0147: