PDA

View Full Version : Weird ways you've caught fish .

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
06-28-2010, 11:39 PM
So I guess this could be an off shoot of the what you've caught thread . But After today I really needed to post this story .

So today was out fishing bright and early was on the water before 6 . I hook into a goldeye , its fighting , I get it in to shore , and un hook it . Its stone cold dead , and starting to rot and decay .

I look over at Cody and say how the hell did that happen , im still baffled to this . How can a fish thats rotten and obviously been dead for at least a day , Bite my hook take my worm , and hook its self nicely in the side of the mouth .

If you have the answer you will save me allot of guessing and wondering . Ive caught fish allot of weird ways allot of weird baits , etc , but how in gods green earth can a dead fish take my hook and eat the worm . Its gills were Brown for goodness sake .

So now you've heard my story what are yours ?

Calgaryguy1977
06-28-2010, 11:53 PM
It could be a lucky shot I guess hahaha.

A couple weeks ago I was at Mcleans pond in Kananaskis fishing bows and some dude pointed out there was an abandoned bobber moving on by. Obviously a fish had grabbed the baited hook and was hauling the bob all around. The guy promptly cast his line out (by fluke im sure) and actually caught the line with the bob on it and caught the rainbow trout attached to it. That had to be the strangest way Ive seen one caught!!!

Calgaryguy1977
06-28-2010, 11:54 PM
Could it be that the fish was already dying and rotting and when you hauled him in he died?

06-28-2010, 11:54 PM
It could be a lucky shot I guess hahaha.

A couple weeks ago I was at Mcleans pond in Kananaskis fishing bows and some dude pointed out there was an abandoned bobber moving on by. Obviously a fish had grabbed the baited hook and was hauling the bob all around. The guy promptly cast his line out (by fluke im sure) and actually caught the line with the bob on it and caught the rainbow trout attached to it. That had to be the strangest way Ive seen one caught!!!

I did that with a walleye at Pigeon lake one time . It was funny . I was mad I was gonna lose my 6 or 7 dollar bobber .

tbone616
06-29-2010, 12:14 AM
I was fly fishing around a downed tree with a double dropper setup with a small strike indicator last year on the Red Deer River. So i hook into a small trout and as i'm bringing him in my leader snaps just up from my strike indicator and the fish takes off. Now not only am i mad because i lost the fish but he also took 2 flies and a strike indicator with him, but as i look back at the tree i can see my indicator stuck on a branch. Luckly the river was just low enough i could barely wade over and low and behold i landed him by hand and got all my gear back, after some cutting that is. I must have had a section of streched leader because how he could break that and not 5X tippet was beyond me but all's well that ends well i suppose.

KWO
06-29-2010, 12:18 AM
Maybe a pike had the dead goldeye in it's stomach. The pike hits your lure/bait hard, swallows, then decides to puke it all back up. In the process, your lure/bait snags the goldeye in the mouth and then haul it in. That's all I can come up with. Either that or goldeyes have gone zombie.

mcampb
06-29-2010, 12:22 AM
...So today was out fishing bright and early was on the water before 6 . I hook into a goldeye , its fighting , I get it in to shore , and un hook it . Its stone cold dead , and starting to rot and decay...

AAAaaaahhhh!!!! Zombie-fish!!!!

cleson
06-29-2010, 12:36 AM
Maybe a pike had the dead goldeye in it's stomach. The pike hits your lure/bait hard, swallows, then decides to puke it all back up. In the process, your lure/bait snags the goldeye in the mouth and then haul it in. That's all I can come up with. Either that or goldeyes have gone zombie.

that was my first thought too.

I have three weird fish stories. My one friend caught a chinook salmon which was hooked and the line broke. he caught the other line and gently reeled it in until he had it in his hands. The three of us played the fish with our hands on the line and landed. My buddy gently tailed teh 25 lb. dough caught with our bare hands.

2 years later the exact same thing happened at my favorite hole in Kitimat. The guy I was fishing beside landed about a 10 to 12 lb coho. exact same way.

Mine was crazy. I didn't really catch it. I was having horrible luck one coho season. skunked daily, and i was pounding the river pretty hard. I was bank fishing the river and heard a seal grunting. He went under, and a second later a chrome coho startied jumping directly toward me. It jumped three times, getting closer each time. She was so freaked out, she ran headfirst into a stump near the shore. I walked up to it. It was stunned and flopping around in 4 inches of water. Contemplated keeping it, but just cradled it facing upstream and it eventually swam away. After that i slayed the cohos on a daily basis! :fighting0030:

DaveFish
06-29-2010, 01:24 AM
AAAaaaahhhh!!!! Zombie-fish!!!!

x2

honda450
06-29-2010, 06:26 AM
Caught a little 10 inch cuttie one time on a fly and out of the deep a big bull came up and grabbed the cuttie and would not let go, finally the bull got the cuttie off my fly and off he went. This has happened to me a few times now.

When I lived in BC fishing for chinook you would always snag pinks there was just so many of them you couldn't help it.

nicemustang
06-29-2010, 08:02 AM
How about dropping a small jig down and not even getting it to the bottom where I stop it spooling, it eats my jig then goes after my buddies next to me before I even had time to set the hook. Hungry little bugger. We both pulled it it lol.

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp140/nicemustang11/Fishing/090.jpg

The DragonSlayer
06-29-2010, 08:08 AM
Dangled my Johnson in the water, and caught a Catfish,

Darren N
06-29-2010, 08:12 AM
My weird story is more of a release than a catch. A friend and me were in a boat Uncha lake BC many years ago on a very hot summer day, no breeze. I was releasing a trout that was sitting upright in my hand letting it get its strength back when we both felt a cool breeze and shadow for a few seconds only. We thought that was weird and wondered were that came from? Twenty seconds later I let the trout swim away, and about 8 feet away from our boot an American Bald eagle grabbed my trout out of the water. That bird was bigger than the boat which freaked us out. The breeze prior, was the eagle going for my fish but backed off last second ( lucky thing ).

spopadyn
06-29-2010, 10:00 AM
So I guess this could be an off shoot of the what you've caught thread . But After today I really needed to post this story .

So today was out fishing bright and early was on the water before 6 . I hook into a goldeye , its fighting , I get it in to shore , and un hook it . Its stone cold dead , and starting to rot and decay .

I look over at Cody and say how the hell did that happen , im still baffled to this . How can a fish thats rotten and obviously been dead for at least a day , Bite my hook take my worm , and hook its self nicely in the side of the mouth .

If you have the answer you will save me allot of guessing and wondering . Ive caught fish allot of weird ways allot of weird baits , etc , but how in gods green earth can a dead fish take my hook and eat the worm . Its gills were Brown for goodness sake .

So now you've heard my story what are yours ?

Easy to explain. You snagged a dead fish and on the way in a pike tried to eat it. The pike didn't let go until close to shore.

When I was fishing offshore for bottom fish, we had a little 6 inch kelp cod grab our jig. The guide with us told us to throw our line back in the water with the little kelp cod attached. When the fish swam back to bottom, boom, an big ling grabbed hold. We reeeled up an 18 lb ling, which wouldn't let go of the kelp cod until it was in the net. We then threw the kelp cod back in for a second time, caught another 14lb ling. Three times lucky? Nope, on the third time something grabbed the kelp cod pulled line like crazy (we guessed a 30lb ling - way bigger fight) until finally the line goes slack. When we reeled ud, all that was left was a tiny piece of the head attached to the jig.

How is that for fishing - who cares about barbless, how about hookless!

kidd
06-29-2010, 10:16 AM
Four of us were fishing for lakers in Manitoba a few years ago. Just drifting and jigging on the bottom. All of a sudden two guys have fish on. As I am reeling up quick to get the net ready I have a hit too. We have a triple header going in 50 feet of water. We landed all three 5 pounders by hand after our lines got tangled from the fish crossing us all up. That was chaos and we were laughing the whole time.
Best part was that the fourth buddy was all mad that he didnt hook up too. And he might have, but he had been asleep and his jig was dragging on bottom as the depth had slowly changed as we drifted. We still bug him about that. Good times.
kidd.

Darren N
06-29-2010, 12:12 PM
How about dropping a small jig down and not even getting it to the bottom where I stop it spooling, it eats my jig then goes after my buddies next to me before I even had time to set the hook. Hungry little bugger. We both pulled it it lol.

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp140/nicemustang11/Fishing/090.jpg

That's a good one. lol

Redfrog
06-29-2010, 12:53 PM
BBJ you need to work on getting these fish in a little quicker.:)

go-big-or-go-home
06-29-2010, 02:30 PM
when i was ice fishing at gull couple winters ago i left the tent to make pee pee and when i got back in i noticed my hook was outa sight, so i started reeling in with weight on it, reeled it in to where i seen a new rig got hooked up on my hook sum how, got that up the hole and started reeling in the new one and the biggest white fish i ever pulled out of that lake was on the other end lol ahahhhahahaha.

Bobstew
06-29-2010, 02:37 PM
Three weeks ago I was throwing a spinner into the canal at Chestermere and before I knew it a bird swooped down and either got hooked or tangled , anyway I reeled in a couple turns and the bird went under the water so I stopped and it somehow freed itself and flew off. It wasn't a big bird, something like a swallow.
I know it's not a fish, but it was weird for me and now I have 2 post !

maverick
06-29-2010, 03:14 PM
We were salmon fishing on the Vedder River a couple of years ago and the river was in flood from the heavy rains. We stopped on the road to let some chum swim across the road and the cars coming from the other direction stopped as well. As we sat there watching, about 70 to 100 chum swim across the road and then across some guys lawn. Then a chrome silver coho that weighs around ten pounds goes across the road. The guy driving the car waiting on the other side jumps out and chases the coho across the lawn then jumps on it and wrestles the fish out of four inches of water and starts carrying the fish back to his car. One of the guys I was fishing with yells at the guy asking him what does he think he's doing? The guy yells back," its ok, I checked to see if he was fin clipped first, it's a hatchery." He throws the fish in the back seat then hops in his car and drives away.

Sundancefisher
06-29-2010, 03:26 PM
I was fishing in the North Sask one day. Not a ton of luck when all of a sudden my rod almost yanked out of the rod holder and started bending hard downstream. I set the hook and it felt really funny. Started reeling and landed a nice large goldeye. I took my hook out and noticed another hook in it's mouth. I took that hook out and released the goldeye back to the waters. The other hook had some line attached so I started pulling it in to help the environment and man there was a ton of line.

After a little while I reached the rod and reel attached to the line. I laughed and held the rod up to show my buddy. A couple of guys upstream heard my hollering and came down... Much to their surprise...this rod was the one they just lost about 10 minutes earlier when the rod pulled from the rod holder. He was one lucky guy and got his rod back...no worse for wear...

DarkAisling
06-29-2010, 03:51 PM

Maybe it was in the stomach of whatever took your bait, and you pulled the rotting fish out of the bigger fishy's stomach?

harryones
06-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Up fishing in northern Alberta for pike. The bite was definitely on that day. I said to my buddy that these fish will bite on just about anything. So I hooked a glowstick to my leader and cast it out. First cast and had a bite, reeled it in all the way to the side of the boat before it looked up and decided to let go. Still trying to figure out how to attach a hook to a glowstick.

06-29-2010, 04:44 PM
Maybe it was in the stomach of whatever took your bait, and you pulled the rotting fish out of the bigger fishy's stomach?

Nope but it had a lovely pickerel rig hook lodged in its gills all torn up something fierce .

I dont think it was a pike , the spot I fish isn't know for pike . One or two being caught is very rare . And it wasnt the bite of a pike . It was the Zombie fish biting my hook . I was also wondering , If it could have been dieing but not dead , and wanted to take a bite of my worm and that is what killed it . I had wished I took a picture of the fish as the sides and belly area were really starting to decay and had blood coming to the skin , kinda hard to explain .

ghostguy6
06-29-2010, 05:12 PM
I once caught a pike that snapped my line as I was trying to pick it out of the water. I tied on a new hook and caught the same pike on my first cast. Got both my hooks back.

I was fishing with my grandfather many years ago. We had one of those fish baskets hanging in the water to keep the refreshments cold. All day we caught tiny salmon, nothing worth keeping but when we pulled the basket to leave there was a nice 3lbs salmon in the basket.

WayneChristie
06-29-2010, 07:29 PM
I caught an 8 pound burbot in the Bow when I was a kid, had a stringer of whitefish in the muddy river, heard the chain rattling and saw a burb swallowing one of my whites. netted it after 3 tries and put it on the stringer too. same thing happened to a buddy a few years later. I lassoed a nice rainbow in the upper Oldman one time, fought it in to shore and the hook wasnt anywhere near the fish, it had a perfect knot tied around it instead. Caught more than one pike in midair while lifting my lure out of the water and they jumped out and grabbed it.

burningfreak
06-29-2010, 09:06 PM
friends of mine were fishing with us when one of the gals tied into a walleye. When she brought it up we had a laugh cause she had snagged it right in the butt. She was a little annoyed when we decided to call her butt-hooker for the rest of the fishing trip.

H380
06-29-2010, 09:10 PM
Have caught a number of pike and suckers in330 conibear beaver traps when trapping.. never know what is going to show up..

Badback
06-30-2010, 01:59 PM
Dangled my Johnson in the water, and caught a Catfish,

Dudes thats the worst story of them all.....

Sooner
06-30-2010, 10:45 PM
When I was 12 or 13 our family and our cousins family were on a houseboat in the Shuswaps. Anesty arm has a stream flowing into it. We wake up one morning and there are about 10 or so salmon lined up about 100 ft out. From the top of the boat you could see them, werent there the day before. So the dads say go ahead see if you can catch one. All we had was small red devils. Off we go casting in frt of them, no interest from the fish. Just before we are going to give up I cast out and get a bite and of it goes. Reel it in to find my small treble hook caught the eye loop of a huge single hook that was in the side of the salmons mouth, bring it in to the boat unhook the fish, remove the single hook from its mouth and let it go, cousins saw it swim right back to the group out from the stream. Im sure I still have that single hook in my tackle box. One in a million. Now dont rag on me, we were 12 and the dads said go for it about fishing for the salmon, plus it was 30 yrs ago. I know now they were staging for spawning and I think the dads did too and knew they wouldnt bite anything. Mine was the only one brought in and it ended up getting a hook pulled out of its jaw. We got bored of not getting even a bite and didnt try for them after that anymore. Fishing Graham lake yrs ago I managed to get my jig back from a walleye about 10 mins after it broke me off right at the boat, we were anchored and caught him again. My buddy caught a 6 lb pike when it grabed the hammer handle pike he had on the line, it would not let go, even after we netted both in the same net.