PDA

View Full Version : lesser slave river canoe hunt

RUSTY262
06-29-2010, 02:53 PM
Has anyone ever done a moose hunt along the lesser slave river from slave lake to smith?

steve
06-29-2010, 04:56 PM
I believe "Cal" did that hunt.

kevpack
06-29-2010, 08:12 PM
Did a spring bear hunt in a canoe in 84, didn't see any moose but we were only on the water for a day. Shot a nice cinnamon.

Sooner
06-30-2010, 12:57 PM
We used to fish that river in our 12 ft alum boats way back when I was a kid and there was a campground on it by Mitsue Lake. Check the regs, the river may be a boundry of two zones if I remember right.

RUSTY262
06-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Yes, the river doen divide the 2 zones and I believe anything is fair game on the north side for zone 511. My main worry is if there will be enough water to make it to smith in september. I"m not real familiar with the river and this is my first canoe hunt. My buddy and I want to get away from all the quad and truck hunting. Not that there is anything wrong with it, we just want to try something a little different.

pseelk
06-30-2010, 03:20 PM
You might want to check the water level a couple weeks before you plan anything this year.Was there last week the river is about three ft below its normal level.

Darcy3
06-30-2010, 05:41 PM
There shouldnt be a problem with water level but there could be log jams but probably not and its 350 on one side and the 511 on the other. there is a part of the river by an old town called spurfield and the water is low with rapids but nothing crazy. It wouldnt be a bad idea to check the water a few weeks before you go. Its also alot easier to get a draw in 511 then it is in 350.

firegod74
06-30-2010, 05:51 PM
Yes, the river doen divide the 2 zones and I believe anything is fair game on the north side for zone 511. My main worry is if there will be enough water to make it to smith in september. I"m not real familiar with the river and this is my first canoe hunt. My buddy and I want to get away from all the quad and truck hunting. Not that there is anything wrong with it, we just want to try something a little different.

I just did a part of that trip yesterday. There were a couple of low water spots, but with a canoe they won't be a problem. Send me a PM if you want to get together. I'm right on the North shore of the river and you will be going by my house.