PDA

View Full Version : Pierre Grey's Lakes

Lustro
06-29-2010, 04:40 PM
Am heading out there and was wondering if the lakes are float tube worthy. Also, has anyone been out there lately and had luck?

Oh, and about how long a drive from Edmonton.

Thanks for the heads up.

fishnut9
06-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Am heading out there and was wondering if the lakes are float tube worthy. Also, has anyone been out there lately and had luck?

Oh, and about how long a drive from Edmonton.

Thanks for the heads up.

as for the distance just google maps it. I just came from there. The one lake that is stocked with bull trout is was very calm and yes its float tube worthy. I must say though not very many big fish. There is mostly small trout there. I did manage to see a good 4lb bully chase my lure.

1/2 oz Bucktail
06-30-2010, 09:56 AM
You are looking at about 4.5 hours from Edmonton to the lakes.

Bull trout were not stocked in any of the lakes. The only lake that I know of being stocked with bullies out here is Ptarmagain and that lake is way out in Wilmore.

Fishing has been pretty slow at these lakes with only this years stockers being caught.

mikeym
06-30-2010, 01:49 PM
i think he might of meant brookies as the one lake is stocked with brookies not bulls.

was there the week of the 13th and lots of small fish to be had. on the smallest lake (McDonald lake with the special regs on it) they were going after the fly most times before it even touched the water. but they were mostly in the 6 - 8" range. did have a larger one on the line till he spit the hook, was probably pushing 12 - 14 but that was it for larger ones. talked to a CO on saturday morning and she told me that this lake has bull trout in it. and big. they put a camera down in winter and saw some big bulls down there. they have no idea how they got in there as they were never stocked. probably from the Muskeg river when it flooded. a few other people have confirmed this rumour also.

the brookie lake is tough. fished it for one full day and couple of hours saturday morning and between 4 of us we caught a grand total of 4 fish. one was a nice 12" though. very tough lake to catch anything on.

the lake with the island is a little better. still lots of small fish (some down to 4") but a better chance of catching a larger fish maybe. we had around 3 - 4 in the 12 - 14" range with the rest being between 6 - 10", but lots.

all the lakes are great for float tubes.

rgds
Mike

fishnut9
06-30-2010, 05:10 PM
i think he might of meant brookies as the one lake is stocked with brookies not bulls.

was there the week of the 13th and lots of small fish to be had. on the smallest lake (McDonald lake with the special regs on it) they were going after the fly most times before it even touched the water. but they were mostly in the 6 - 8" range. did have a larger one on the line till he spit the hook, was probably pushing 12 - 14 but that was it for larger ones. talked to a CO on saturday morning and she told me that this lake has bull trout in it. and big. they put a camera down in winter and saw some big bulls down there. they have no idea how they got in there as they were never stocked. probably from the Muskeg river when it flooded. a few other people have confirmed this rumour also.

the brookie lake is tough. fished it for one full day and couple of hours saturday morning and between 4 of us we caught a grand total of 4 fish. one was a nice 12" though. very tough lake to catch anything on.

the lake with the island is a little better. still lots of small fish (some down to 4") but a better chance of catching a larger fish maybe. we had around 3 - 4 in the 12 - 14" range with the rest being between 6 - 10", but lots.

all the lakes are great for float tubes.

rgds
Mike

yup you are so right. man if all you have ever seen are bows and bulls its hard to tell what the other ones look like. i was using a blue fox spinner. they hit it pretty hard but most of the time thier mouths were too small to get a proper hook.