PDA

View Full Version : Whitefish a myth in the bow???

Braun
06-29-2010, 09:39 PM
i have been after them for a little while and i am starting to think they are a myth. Not fully true cause i think i saw one jumping a couple weeks back. But has anyone caught any this year and what did you catch it on?

PS. no coat-hanger rig suggestions. lol. i have heard that it is supposed to be deadly for targeting whites but i just haven't taken the time to try it out yet. (that is my next step)

Guitarplayingfish
06-29-2010, 09:42 PM
i have been after them for a little while and i am starting to think they are a myth. Not fully true cause i think i saw one jumping a couple weeks back. But has anyone caught any this year and what did you catch it on?

PS. no coat-hanger rig suggestions. lol. i have heard that it is supposed to be deadly for targeting whites but i just haven't taken the time to try it out yet. (that is my next step)

Of course there are whitefish in the bow. Keep trying, Use nymphs.

Braun
06-29-2010, 09:46 PM
i hooked a rainbow today when trying to catch white. i should also mention i dont flyfish. lol. although it seems like the way to fish the bow

ericlin0122
06-29-2010, 10:20 PM
the only thing i caught in bow are whites.... lol
actually believe or not, I caught lake white in NW bow river of the city.
couple days ago, I hook 11, landed 5. 2 of them are lake white fish. it's very rare for me, at least for years I have never caught lake white in bow.
the first one is a 18" lake white
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4096/4736513849_2d656fc524_b.jpg

second one is even bigger! 20" taped
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4137/4737153654_b531191e9f_b.jpg

look how fat it is.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4122/4736519015_34f334950b_b.jpg

Most white fish caught on this
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4076/4736515369_9dd08ab537_b.jpg

this is the rocky white, most you gonna catch in bow
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4096/4737157444_b165271627_b.jpg

P.S. you don't need fly fishing rod to catch white fish, you can use spin rod too. I catch lots of them this way:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4040/4661237976_0435545e02_b.jpg

Braun
06-29-2010, 10:38 PM
Finally. The man I want to talk to. I have been recomended to use wire worms but didn't know how to go about rigging it. The way you have it it is similar to a pickerell rig minus the wires. How do you tie your knots connecting your hook to your main line? And what kinds of water are you looking for when your looking for whites?

luckyme
06-29-2010, 10:39 PM
Most white fish caught on this
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4076/4736515369_9dd08ab537_b.jpg

eric what are those called??my buddy have some of those he said for white fish but we end up went to a lake instead the bow and didn't catch any.:confused:

Braun
06-29-2010, 10:44 PM
It's called a wire worm

walking buffalo
06-29-2010, 10:47 PM
Nice post and pics ericlin0122. Cool to see those lake whites, I have not caught one in the Bow before.

But I have caught many Huge rockies in the lower Bow, most often in early Sept, gold beadhead hare's ear nymph. They are usually bigger in girth than length. Caught many 4 - 5 lbs. Probably released the Alberta record at some point.

They seem to stack in the head of fast deep runs in late summer/early fall before heading up to spawn.

ericlin0122
06-29-2010, 10:53 PM
as for water... they hangs out almost everywhere.
I caught them in deep fast moving water, medium normal water, slow shallow water (above fishes caught at very slow shallow water ~2ft)
the key is to get the flies to the bottom! if you are not bouncing of the bottom, you won't catch them. and if your weight is too heavy, 1) you will snag often, and 2) you won't catch the fish! cuz it just not drifting normal.
pick the right weight is also the key. I can't tell you how much weight you need, cuz it's all depending on how fast the water you fishing at.
normally I would use 3/8 oz, but right now, the water is higher, I would probably go with 1+oz.
I didn't know the name of the knots, I kind of made up my own knot. it doesn't really matter, as long as you get two lines connected.

p.s. not only wire worm works. they take san juan worm, pheasant tail, prince nymph, etc. I have success in almost any popular bow river nymphs.

Braun
06-29-2010, 11:06 PM
I love this. I am probably going totry this Tom. Do you actually use weights or makeshift ones like nails or coat hangers? I was told coat hangers are good cause it rides the current well and gives really natural twitches. Are you casting upstream and letting it roll downsteam along the bottom?

ericlin0122
06-29-2010, 11:13 PM
I love this. I am probably going totry this Tom. Do you actually use weights or makeshift ones like nails or coat hangers? I was told coat hangers are good cause it rides the current well and gives really natural twitches. Are you casting upstream and letting it roll downsteam along the bottom?

coat hanger is the best. if you get a piece of rubber band connect between your line and coat hanger, you will catch them all + snag less!
yes, you are correct. cast upstream let it drift downstream.

Braun
06-29-2010, 11:20 PM
Nice! That's exactly wanted to hear with the elastic. Snaggles is a dream. I am the king at losing lures. Even ask my girlfriend. Probably have caught the most log fish out of anyone on the forum.

****. I want to go try this right now.

ericlin0122
06-29-2010, 11:30 PM
Nice! That's exactly wanted to hear with the elastic. Snaggles is a dream. I am the king at losing lures. Even ask my girlfriend. Probably have caught the most log fish out of anyone on the forum.

****. I want to go try this right now.

lol
btw, i would only use half piece of coat hanger (looks like "^" shape when it's touching the bottom).

luckyme
06-30-2010, 01:17 AM
hah!i lol..my buddy did mentioned wire worm that time,but :sign0068: i thought he was referring to an actual worm. :sign0161::sHa_sarcasticlol:

RedHeadedFisherman
06-30-2010, 05:53 AM
:sign0111::character0053:coat hanger is the best. if you get a piece of rubber band connect between your line and coat hanger, you will catch them all + snag less!
yes, you are correct. cast upstream let it drift downstream.

althoug, i have not fished this spot in some years now,because i have not lived in Calgary for some time now.. it has always been productive for me..
go west on Bow trail to Edworthy park.. walk to the river, with ( i use) a 4 foot line, a V shaped coat hanger-heavey elastice-#12 or #14 snelled hook 1 foot up the line, another 1 foot, same..-6" barrel swivel .
cast UPSTREAM and let the current bounce it downstreak.. keeping a somewhat tight line on it( so you can feel the strike).. works great..
hmm thinking about this.. maybe i will go try it again. L)) ::sign0111::character0053:

Braun
07-13-2010, 10:06 AM
still getting trumped by the whites on the bow. i know my rig and set up is right i guess im just having trouble finding the guys. im using the same rig as you guys have mentioned and i have used wire worms, san juan worms, royal coachmen flies, white fish killer flies on the rig. i know im using the rig properly; cast upstream 45 degree angle or less and let it bounce as it come to you and gently real in the slack as it comes.....blah blah blah. I have been to places that guys have told me they have had success with the whites and still turned nothing.

I'm going to keep on doing what im doing but ive turned no luck

aulrich
07-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Are you catching anything? if not there still might be a hitch in your presentation. So two things that are a must

1. In the strike zone (read bottom)
2. The fly should be going about the same speed as the current.

For myself I seem to hook white's more spring and fall than summer time.

Braun
07-13-2010, 12:01 PM
From the people I talk to they say the same thing that there is more white action in spring and fall but they are not impossible to catch in the summer. I let the current bring my rig to me so it is the same as the Current.

fredieC
07-13-2010, 11:07 PM
i always catch white fish on bow river, i fish in banff area, use something small as their mouths are smaller compare to trout, depends on what season it is, normally nymps are the best options, the best one that works for me are copper john, small egg patters ( PINK, ORANGE, RED ) also i always atch somthing on mosquito pattern....caddis nymph also works somtimes....

there may br few other things but i always catch whitefish on this ones..
anyway good luck....

spinerfisher
07-14-2010, 10:53 AM
From the people I talk to they say the same thing that there is more white action in spring and fall but they are not impossible to catch in the summer. I let the current bring my rig to me so it is the same as the Current.

If you can, try down by fish creek area, always seem to hook up a few every trip, and they like those shiny beadheads!

Fishingnutter
07-14-2010, 12:31 PM
i hooked a rainbow today when trying to catch white. i should also mention i dont flyfish. lol. although it seems like the way to fish the bow

The Horror! You caught a Rainbow while targetting Rockies, a true fishing blasphemy,,, note; sarcasm.

Well it looks like the ice auger can be put away again.

Is it imperative that the Rockies -you catch- come from the Bow?

I've rigged several wireworm/coathanger variations and can lend you a rod/reel and I will promise you a full day of Rockies,, and (god forbid) maybe a trout.

Pumphouse Theatre or Brickburn Bend on the Bow are Rockies Heaven,,, but those Lake Whitefish in the Bow, how long have people been catching them? They can destroy a fishery very quickly.

Braun
07-14-2010, 05:10 PM
no i dont care where i go for the rockies. like i said im going through targeting different species of fish so i can learn more and more about each. i know i could go down south a bit and try a couple other rivers there for the whites. i cut the tip off my rod so its shorter now with the stiffer tip. still a little sad about it but it happens. hey. your supposed to be calling me up one day nutter. ill get my hands on those whites, if its the last thing i do.......... ha

Logan
07-14-2010, 09:42 PM
I use the exact same rig but with a nail that has a rubber band wrapped around it so if i get snagged, i pull, the band snaps and i lose a $.02 nail and not my fly. Ive never used a SJ worm before but I have hammered the whites with a royal coachmen.

Fishingnutter
07-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Went with my Dad to try for rockies near North Fish Creek Park, with both copper & white wire worm set-up. Long to short caught a stunning 17 inch rocky with a 14 inch girth, truly amazing fight.

On a sorta related theme; the canal coming into MacGregor at Milo was so high on Thursday that the weir was covered and the Lake Whitefish were hitting tiny shrimp like bugs -not mine though- very slow day all around for everyone, but beautiful weather. This will definitely be a Lake MacGregor Rainbow Trout year. my guess is that they will be stacked at the next impassable weir further up,, to those who head out there be careful, the canal is deceptive and full of undertows,, bring a long throw rope and put the kids in lifejackets if going to the 2nd north weir, the shore is crumbly and quite unstable.

Fishingnutter
07-16-2010, 11:48 AM

when we get together, I'll bring my flyrod the line is really old but I have so many memories with it that I don't have the heart to swap it out and it casts just fine anyways,,, I'll teach you the basics and you'll be addicted in no time.

Anyone hit the Highwood lately???? It's looking really prime - in his younger days, I could always get my Dad to pull up to the Highwood on the way back from pike fishing, but napping seems as much as a hobby as fishing for him as of late- so yesterday while driving over it on Hwy2 I noticed two surfacers. Hmmmm, if the rain holds off I think I may try it this eve.

HappySonny
07-26-2010, 11:16 AM
The Horror! You caught a Rainbow while targetting Rockies, a true fishing blasphemy,,, note; sarcasm.

Well it looks like the ice auger can be put away again.

Is it imperative that the Rockies -you catch- come from the Bow?

I've rigged several wireworm/coathanger variations and can lend you a rod/reel and I will promise you a full day of Rockies,, and (god forbid) maybe a trout.

Pumphouse Theatre or Brickburn Bend on the Bow are Rockies Heaven,,, but those Lake Whitefish in the Bow, how long have people been catching them? They can destroy a fishery very quickly.

How can the Lake Whitefish destroy a fishery very quickly?:confused:

S.A.S
07-26-2010, 01:36 PM
I caught 1 and my dad caught a larger 1 on saturday. Using small spinners, Between Southland and Fish creek floating the bow.

Gslice
08-01-2013, 08:41 PM
Can someone please explain to me how to set up this "coat hanger" style rig?
How does a coat hanger and an elastic help prevent snagging?

Gust
08-01-2013, 09:03 PM
post #4, swap out pencil lead for a piece of coat hanger cut into an offset V

---------\------------------<

Gslice
08-01-2013, 11:21 PM
post #4, swap out pencil lead for a piece of coat hanger cut into an offset V

---------\------------------<

Thanks Gust. I always appreciate your input.
What about when they talk about how to tie the elastic to the coat hanger to prevent snagging? Any light on that information would be greatly helpful too. Thanks!

Mike

Gust
08-01-2013, 11:32 PM
Thanks Gust. I always appreciate your input.
What about when they talk about how to tie the elastic to the coat hanger to prevent snagging? Any light on that information would be greatly helpful too. Thanks!

Mike

You rarely snag with the coat hanger, hence the coat hanger,, it provides the weight for casting and then a natural flow of your line,, the pencil lead moves the fly/sjw like a man with a bad hangover walking uphill in steel toe boots if you get my drift.

Always cast upstream at a 45 angle, rod straight out but perpendicular to your line and just reel in the slack. SJW or Wulff or Royal Coachman #12 should be short snelled and at least 18" above coathanger,,, don't use threeways.

For goldeye, use super light tackle, go fish upstream of the Morin Bridge, catch a sucker or a chub, cut belly meat into small strips, and............ oh right, wrong thread.

Gslice
08-02-2013, 12:24 AM
You rarely snag with the coat hanger, hence the coat hanger,, it provides the weight for casting and then a natural flow of your line,, the pencil lead moves the fly/sjw like a man with a bad hangover walking uphill in steel toe boots if you get my drift.

Always cast upstream at a 45 angle, rod straight out but perpendicular to your line and just reel in the slack. SJW or Wulff or Royal Coachman #12 should be short snelled and at least 18" above coathanger,,, don't use threeways.

For goldeye, use super light tackle, go fish upstream of the Morin Bridge, catch a sucker or a chub, cut belly meat into small strips, and............ oh right, wrong thread.

hehehe
thanks Gust. I'm going to give this coat hanger a try tomorrow (or today rather i should say). Hopefully I'll be able to land some whites. I've been told whites are relatively more difficult in the summer. Probably going to get skunked....

I will try anyways.....:confused:

Mike

Speckle55
08-02-2013, 12:59 AM
if your fishing a hole go up stream and look in water and wander around in water looking under the rocks just turn the bottom towards you to match the hatch or feed

then come back to the hole and fish ....the whitefish in the hole that may have been dormant are now turn on feeding as when one in the school starts to feed the whole school is now turn on ..

ooopppps ss its like chumming the hole but its natural as you walk around in the river you stirred up the bottom and fed the hole

I have had a hole that I could only get 2 small ones turn on and got 60 in less than 1 hr lots way bigger

Food for Thought
David:)

Kokanee9
08-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Can someone please explain to me how to set up this "coat hanger" style rig?
How does a coat hanger and an elastic help prevent snagging?

The coat hanger will tend to snag on the bottom a lot less than a lead weight. you are able to usually pull it through 2 rocks when it does get snagged because it will bend itself narrower as it is pulled. The rubber band only comes into play when the rig does get snagged. When you can't get it out of a snag, the rubber band's purpose is to break. When that happens, you reel in the line and only have to replace the piece of coat hanger and a new rubber band instead of the entire rig. Choose a rubber band that will have a breaking strength of slightly less than your fishing line.

Edit: I should have added somewhere in there that the rubber band goes at the very end of your line and connects to the hanger.

dodgeboy1979
08-02-2013, 10:21 AM
in place of the coat hanger i have used nails and they work great as well. carry various sizes for the speed of the current to get you bouncing on the bottom

Kokanee9
08-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Also bring a pair of side cutters to trim the coat hanger and fine tune it's weight.

Too light and the current wont let it hit the bottom all the way as it sweeps downstream. Too heavy and it will drag and get caught up just like any other weight.

The perfect balance is to have the bottom tips touching the bottom and the top of the v able to lift just off the bottom with the slightest tug from the rod.

Learn to balance the rod on your finger, and as the rig sweeps downstream and you will be able to feel it as it moves along the bottom of the river.

Kokanee9
08-02-2013, 10:32 AM
in place of the coat hanger i have used nails and they work great as well. carry various sizes for the speed of the current to get you bouncing on the bottom

Nails will work well for a pebble, sandy, or small rock bottom.
The coat hanger shines when there is larger rocks along the bottom of the pool.

With larger rocks, come all sorts of crevices that the nail can get lodged into. The best thing about nails is that their weight is consistent from 1 to another.

ak-71
08-02-2013, 02:18 PM
Try those instead of a coat hunger:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Fishing/TerminalSinkers/PRDOVR~0784990P/Red+Wolf+Bottom+Bouncer+Walking+Sinkers.jsp?locale =enRed Wolf Bottom Bouncer Walking Sinkers

in CT

Those worked better for me