PDA

View Full Version : 3 way swivel rig for pike

trapshooter
06-29-2010, 11:32 PM
will a 3 way swivel rig work for pike?http://www.canoecampfish.com/images/floatingjig.GIF

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
06-29-2010, 11:50 PM
why not will work for Walleye too .

floppychicken
06-30-2010, 12:22 AM
DEADLY combination... Try a Rattle Trap or Suspending Crankbat as well! I've even used 8" spinner Baits!!

Nothing you can't do with a 3-way Swivel!

Also, A "Carolina Rig" with the Floating jig and bait should be pretty sweet... I'd recommend the 'Dual floating Jig' for the Worms (acts just like a 'Crawler Harness' and the Bigger Foam ones for the Leeches to keep them up and out of trouble.... Put a nice sized bead or two between the 'Slip sinker and the 'Swivel' and when you work it, the Rig will make a nice little 'clicking sound' that will travel nicely through the water!

Cheers, :)

alodar
06-30-2010, 12:48 AM
why not will work for Walleye too .

i agree wqith john i caught a mad huge walleye well not me but my beautiful girl friend. ;) on a very similar set up

Geezle
06-30-2010, 06:05 AM
Yep, it absolutely will work, however if you're going for pike with it, I'd use a big ol' smelt or a strip of squid for bait instead of a worm or leech :)

lobre370
07-02-2010, 02:03 PM
looks interesting, i may have to try that, i never have any luck bait fishing for pike. So far i have been i have consistently been pulling pike at Newell with the ol' #4 len thompson. Then again there are a crap load of pike in newell.

WalleyeDeitz
07-02-2010, 02:37 PM
One other option that works great rather than a floating jig is to pick up a syringe if you can get your hands on one and blow the worm up with air in a couple spots....makes the worm squirm (I think they like it) and keeps them floating up off the bottom.....deadly combo in trout lakes too.

Cal
07-02-2010, 04:01 PM
While theirs no doubt it might catch the odd pike I fish these for walleye alot, just got back from doing it actualy, and I have yet to catch a pike on one. I use a spinner baited with a gulp minnow or a night crawler. In the waters I usualy fish I have caught pike while fishing for waleye in pretty much every concevable way from pickerel rigs, to jigs crawled on the bottom, to slip sinkers and slip bobbers but never on a 3 way or bottom bouncer rig. Possibly if you used different bait or fished them differently they might work better but I've been using them roughly about 3 times a week for about 4 years throughout most of the summer and cant recall one pike.

Geezle
07-03-2010, 07:59 AM
One other option that works great rather than a floating jig is to pick up a syringe if you can get your hands on one and blow the worm up with air in a couple spots....makes the worm squirm (I think they like it) and keeps them floating up off the bottom.....deadly combo in trout lakes too.

Or a worm blower...I think they cost about $2 :)

floppychicken
07-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Or a worm blower...I think they cost about $2 :)

You can pick-up syringes at any pharmacy for about .20 cents. You can buy them in various sizes with different needle sizes...

Cheers,

ULTRAlite
07-04-2010, 12:30 AM
Catch lots of pike on bottom bouncers... too many. Should work hot!!

Geezle
07-04-2010, 07:45 AM
You can pick-up syringes at any pharmacy for about .20 cents. You can buy them in various sizes with different needle sizes...

Cheers,

Cool, I knew you could get the syringes from a pharmacy, but I didn't realize you could get them with the needles as well. I may have to investigate :)

Cal
07-09-2010, 06:10 PM
Alright, I caught what, if memory serves me correctly, is my first pike on a 3 way rig. It was around 30" and took an orange floating jig head and a nightcrawler of all things.

fish-man
07-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Pike don't seem to hit worms a whole lot. Like Geezle said, if going for pike, use fish for bait.

Cal
07-10-2010, 11:53 AM
I wasnt fishing for pike, if I was I would not have been using a 3 way rig.

Beazer
07-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Another great way is to use Floating Rapala's like the Original FLoater.