PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever catch a baby goldeye?

Darren N
06-30-2010, 12:53 PM
We all have caught in the past really small pike, walleye, trout, or whatever. And its really funny when you bring them in as they are not much bigger than the bait, or hook you are casting out. I was fishing the North Sask this spring when I realized all the goldeye I have caught are roughly the same size, and never a minnow size. Is that just me?

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
06-30-2010, 01:12 PM
I caught one at my fishing hole the other day about 6 inches long . Dont think it was a baby as a baby fish would be a minnow but it was defenetly one of the smallest goldeye ive ever seen .

Sundancefisher
06-30-2010, 03:27 PM
We all have caught in the past really small pike, walleye, trout, or whatever. And its really funny when you bring them in as they are not much bigger than the bait, or hook you are casting out. I was fishing the North Sask this spring when I realized all the goldeye I have caught are roughly the same size, and never a minnow size. Is that just me?

Goldeye cycle is swim upstream...spawn...eggs float downstream...hatch...young feed and grow...swim upstream to spawn repeat.

Any small goldeye are unusual to catch in central Alberta. It is possible the eggs got caught on some vegetation or back water and hatched. The following book is a good read.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=zSucroWOresC&pg=PA113&lpg=PA113&dq=goldeye+spawning&source=bl&ots=DsVsdlSo6i&sig=dRoOXvCb3AQeiKRoDxTX_NoRZ0w&hl=en&ei=dLcrTJHRNMu1nAeK4LXnCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBEQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=goldeye%20spawning&f=false

Darren N
06-30-2010, 04:16 PM
Goldeye cycle is swim upstream...spawn...eggs float downstream...hatch...young feed and grow...swim upstream to spawn repeat.

Any small goldeye are unusual to catch in central Alberta. It is possible the eggs got caught on some vegetation or back water and hatched. The following book is a good read.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=zSucroWOresC&pg=PA113&lpg=PA113&dq=goldeye+spawning&source=bl&ots=DsVsdlSo6i&sig=dRoOXvCb3AQeiKRoDxTX_NoRZ0w&hl=en&ei=dLcrTJHRNMu1nAeK4LXnCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBEQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=goldeye%20spawning&f=false

Thanks. I'll check t out

DaveFish
06-30-2010, 04:57 PM
Afew years ago I hooked a 6inch or so one way downstream of Edmonton on the NSR. Caught a baby ling the other day on the NSR, was doing circles in my palm as I was trying to take out the hook to release him(really swallowed it)

Sundancefisher
06-30-2010, 08:54 PM
Afew years ago I hooked a 6inch or so one way downstream of Edmonton on the NSR. Caught a baby ling the other day on the NSR, was doing circles in my palm as I was trying to take out the hook to release him(really swallowed it)

I went looking for baby ling years ago in the Athabasca for work. We found a number by electrofishing in the boulder rapids. They are cute little fishes

Cal
06-30-2010, 10:27 PM
I read somewhere (I think it was that fine book "fishes of alberta") that the goldeye we catch in central alberta can migrate as far as well into Saskatchewan and back over the winter. Maby Sundance could clarify if this is true or if I could have merely confused the spawning behaviour for a yearly migration. They certainly seem to migrate from somewhere, up here in the Slave river I dont realy catch many untill early to mid summer, and for some reason they seem to be far bigger and more aggressive than I've seen them anywhere else, often striking large pike lures.

BTW has anyone ever seen a baby raven? For as many ravens as grace the northern half of this province I have yet to see one that was not fully grown.

JET1
06-30-2010, 11:20 PM
i caught a 3 inch golden eye in muskeg river in grande cache about 3 years ago and have seen many baby ravins in nests they seem to stay in the nest intill they are quite large (much larger than you would expect to be in the nest)

Darren N
07-01-2010, 08:56 AM
I fish spin cast and fly fish the NS mostly around the parks and inner city. The goldeye must migrate somewhere around mid August. June and July I catch about the same number of goldeye to walleye. August it just seems they disapear all together. Never thought to try a pickeral rig to get them if in fact they are still around.

firegod74
07-01-2010, 10:29 AM
They certainly seem to migrate from somewhere, up here in the Slave river I dont realy catch many untill early to mid summer, and for some reason they seem to be far bigger and more aggressive than I've seen them anywhere else, often striking large pike lures.

They sure are going crazy by my house right now in the evenings. I thought the jumpers were grayling till I hooked one.

Sundancefisher
07-01-2010, 11:06 AM
I read somewhere (I think it was that fine book "fishes of alberta") that the goldeye we catch in central alberta can migrate as far as well into Saskatchewan and back over the winter. Maby Sundance could clarify if this is true or if I could have merely confused the spawning behaviour for a yearly migration. They certainly seem to migrate from somewhere, up here in the Slave river I dont realy catch many untill early to mid summer, and for some reason they seem to be far bigger and more aggressive than I've seen them anywhere else, often striking large pike lures.

BTW has anyone ever seen a baby raven? For as many ravens as grace the northern half of this province I have yet to see one that was not fully grown.

My link was to this book...

Yes there is a migration.

Darren N
07-01-2010, 11:28 AM
They sure are going crazy by my house right now in the evenings. I thought the jumpers were grayling till I hooked one.

We still have the mountain run off here in Edmonton and the river is brown now. should clear off soon. Is it reasonably clear and greenish where you are? Darren N

firegod74
07-01-2010, 07:02 PM
The river is still pretty muddy, but we have a thunderstorm going through every second day so the runoff never stops.

Geezle
07-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Yeah the NSR's still a little on the murky side, but it's nothing compared to what it looked like a couple weeks ago...there are still plenty of fish coming out of there :)

Cal
07-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Yeah the NSR's still a little on the murky side, but it's nothing compared to what it looked like a couple weeks ago...there are still plenty of fish coming out of there :)

yep, the fish still gotta eat when the waters muddy. I think the walleye fishing is often better when there is some murk rather than super clear. Pike also seem less inclined to follow a lure rather than hit it when the water is murky. Sometimes the river fish arent in their usual spots though.

alodar
07-01-2010, 10:16 PM
the one i saw BBJ pull in the other day was neither small nor alive but some how it managed to bite his hook AND steal his bait.... while being a rotten fish who was gill hooked probably a week or so earlier with a pickrel rig man did he stink. as for baby goldeye smallest one ive seen was probably close to 7inches

Darren N
07-02-2010, 08:05 AM

Jay - when you fish during this murky period are you bait fishing, spin cast with lures, or fly fishing? Also if you have late summer fall experience on the NS come mid August it almost tapers off to nothing for fly fishing because the goldeye are gone and the walleye may or may not chase a rubber jig. Is bait casting the only resort during this time? If you could answer both questions I would appreciatte it as I am a big fan of the NS but struggle during these two times. Or anyone else give there two cents please. Darren N

pickrel pat
07-02-2010, 09:45 AM
remember when you were a kid or ever watched a kid snag a branch or old milk carton and reel it in like there was a fish on the end? sorry man.

Darren N
07-02-2010, 11:37 AM
remember when you were a kid or ever watched a kid snag a branch or old milk carton and reel it in like there was a fish on the end? sorry man.

This might fit in better with "Weird ways you caught a fish" thread, but one time as a kid with a pocket fisherman I had a big trout on as I yelled to my buddies ( on a mountain river stream can't remember which ) and played this big trout in as I could see it's tail waving back and forth down stream, only to reel in a large old sock. dohhh. Never ever did catch anything on that trip or with that pocket fisherman. Hey that might be a good thread to start, anyone catch a fish with a pocket fishermen?

Geezle
07-03-2010, 08:06 AM
Jay - when you fish during this murky period are you bait fishing, spin cast with lures, or fly fishing? Also if you have late summer fall experience on the NS come mid August it almost tapers off to nothing for fly fishing because the goldeye are gone and the walleye may or may not chase a rubber jig. Is bait casting the only resort during this time? If you could answer both questions I would appreciatte it as I am a big fan of the NS but struggle during these two times. Or anyone else give there two cents please. Darren N

Well, this year I've mainly been chucking lures to the pike, and they're fairly willing biters. When it's really murky I've been doing well using more loud/flashy lures like spinners and spinnerbaits, which the pike seem to have no trouble finding :)

I only got myself back into fishing around this time last year, and for my late summer/fall last year I was mainly just bait fishing with moderate success. Never really tried tossing hardware that time last year, but you can bet I'll be trying this year :fishing:

Darren N
07-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Well, this year I've mainly been chucking lures to the pike, and they're fairly willing biters. When it's really murky I've been doing well using more loud/flashy lures like spinners and spinnerbaits, which the pike seem to have no trouble finding :)

I only got myself back into fishing around this time last year, and for my late summer/fall last year I was mainly just bait fishing with moderate success. Never really tried tossing hardware that time last year, but you can bet I'll be trying this year :fishing:

Thanks. maybe see ya out there.