PDA

View Full Version : early season moose calling

pseelk
06-30-2010, 03:54 PM
Hey guys anyone had any expierience calling moose in late aug-early sept.What kind of calls work best-cow or bull grunts any advise would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

7mmremmag
06-30-2010, 04:09 PM
I dont think Ive ever heard a bull or cow moose call until about the 22nd of sept. But I hunt northern Alberta. This would be a good question for some of the archery boys who hunt them early.

LiegeRiver
06-30-2010, 04:14 PM
I think you would have better luck trying to simulate a bull scraping/rubbing off the velvet, and grunting at the same time, rather than using full-on cow calls. Once you're past the 15th of Sep or so, you could start throwing in some cow calls, but they might or might not work for you until a little later on. Good luck on your hunt. :)

Gord

tikka_stainless
06-30-2010, 04:28 PM
we usually start caling in mid september when were elk hunting, but usually just to see if anything answers, we dont really exclusivly hunt moose until october when the rut really kicks in. but you might get lucky and find a bull thats ready to go early. for calling, buy one of those birch bark moose calls, and use bull calls with a big cow moan everynow and then, and use the call or a stick or watever and just beat the sh*t out of some tree while your calling, this all should work, and you dont really need to be an expert caller either, ive heard of rut crazy moose coming into guys chopping wood in camp, so dont worry, all you really need to know is the general sound. hope this helps.

pseelk
06-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks guys for the advice I will certainly give it a try.Wilf

Sooner
06-30-2010, 10:00 PM
I've always had luck starting out with a cow call, nothing to long but just to see if something answers. I have gone three days straight with nothing answering and on the 4th day all hell breaks loose when you do the same call. Its mostly about how close you are to the rut in your area I think.

pseelk
07-01-2010, 09:24 AM
Thanks Sooner, I probably should have posted this in the archery section as I am planning to hunt the early bow season.Thanks for the advice it will come in handy if I still have my tag when the rut comes around lol.