PDA

View Full Version : Children fishing "alone"

ice
06-30-2010, 05:17 PM
I was at garner this past week fishing, nothing spectacular. A few pike.
I was having a walk down the beach and I noticed some kids fishing from the dock. No parents within site. And they were having alot of luck. More then I was having. I wouldn't have thought twice. But I glanced out onto the water too see 2 pike floating upside down, so I went over gave them a pair of my jaw spreaders waited for them to pull one in and properlly showed them how to remove a hook aswell as shared the importance of not having a fish out too long. I think I got my point across.

What's are your guys views on this.
Do you think there's an age where your just too inexperienced too be out on your own with friends or not.

Ice

flygirrl
06-30-2010, 05:51 PM
Whew, that is a hard one. Some children that like fishing Im sure are latch key kids and their parents probably dont even know they are fishing. I would rather see a few fish dead than these same kids out breaking windows. Its people like yourself that these kids will remember for the rest of their lives and hopefully the lessons you gave them will set in. Children fishing alone= a few fish dead, children causing trouble= in jail, I dont know if there is a comparison... I'll take the dead fish thanks.

Cal
06-30-2010, 06:15 PM
I learned how to fish when I was 8 years old catching pike in the wabasca river, always fishing alone since neither of my parents had any intrest in the outdoor. I'd never even seen or heard of jaw spreaders and after a lengthly wrestling match with a ham fisted 8 year old I'm pretty sure alot of the fish I released didnt make it too far. At least I never fell into the practice of throwing the pike up on shore to rot "so there would be more walleye" sadly a comon practice in wabasca at that point.

It would be nice if parents took the time to educate and teach their children proper catch and release but sadly this is not always possible. Whats far more iritating than children letting dead fish go is adults doing it as is far to often the case, or even worse teaching their habits on to their children.

Steven Noel
06-30-2010, 07:45 PM
IMO, if children fishing unattended, and thier subsequent actions, results in a significantly higher and uneccesary death rate to the fish, they should not be fishing alone.

This does not mean they can not be taught proper techniques, but until such action is taken, it is not fair to the fish, nor to us other anglers, who could be catching those fish, had they not died as a direct result of thier poor care.

Now, before I am grilled, let me make it clear I understand. I'm 15, been fishing since I was 5. I fish extensively, some of which is done alone. I am an avid C&R supporter, however, I will keep a few Walleye every year. I have been taught the proper techniques of releasing fish. As have many of us, I have cradled fish in ice cold, glacial fed water until I was quite sure my hands were going to fall off, not because I had to, but becuase I owe it to the anglers of Alberta to do my very best to ensure the survival of that fish. That's just my take on the matter.

Cal
06-30-2010, 09:43 PM
IMO, if children fishing unattended, and thier subsequent actions, results in a significantly higher and uneccesary death rate to the fish, they should not be fishing alone.

This does not mean they can not be taught proper techniques, but until such action is taken, it is not fair to the fish, nor to us other anglers, who could be catching those fish, had they not died as a direct result of thier poor care.

Now, before I am grilled, let me make it clear I understand. I'm 15, been fishing since I was 5. I fish extensively, some of which is done alone. I am an avid C&R supporter, however, I will keep a few Walleye every year. I have been taught the proper techniques of releasing fish. As have many of us, I have cradled fish in ice cold, glacial fed water until I was quite sure my hands were going to fall off, not because I had to, but becuase I owe it to the anglers of Alberta to do my very best to ensure the survival of that fish. That's just my take on the matter.

I understand your sentements on children needing to be attended if fish are dieing due to their inexperience. But if that were the case then the same should go for adults, inexperienced anglers of all ages can make a complete mess of unhooking a fish. I have many friends who while not inexperienced fishermen only fish casualy and I end up gritting my teeth and unhooking every fish they catch due to the gongshow that occurs every time a fish ends up on their line. The worst of all are the people who fish regularly and who are just too darn ignorant or apathetic to make a decent effort to return their fish to the water in good shape. As much as I'd like to say that all these people should be taught to properly handle fish befor they can fish unatended it is unrealistic.

whitetailman
06-30-2010, 10:50 PM
i personally hate when i see inexperienced fisherman that dont know how to handle fish..I think if you have never fished before then you should go with someone that has and can release the fish in a proper way and be carefull not to harm them, there is too many people now a days that kill more fish by not knowing how to unhook them properlly and killing them causing fewer fish to be inn the lake.

trapshooter
06-30-2010, 11:13 PM
Before I get started I am pointing out that I am only 12 years old! I think kids like myself that know what they are doing should be able to fish without supervision. When my family goes out camping at a lake my parent let me go down by myself because they know I know how to handle fish. Last time we went out I went down to the lake by myself and caught 10 fish, I kept 4 and release 6. Since I know how to release a fish and I don't keep it out of the water longer then 1 breath all the fish were fine. I think it's the parent fault when the kids don't know what to do because they didn't spend time with them to go over how to release fish or how to take a hook out and so on...
They might have to put out a law just like hunting were you take a test first.

floppychicken
07-01-2010, 01:52 AM
Before I get started I am pointing out that I am only 12 years old! I think kids like myself that know what they are doing should be able to fish without supervision. When my family goes out camping at a lake my parent let me go down by myself because they know I know how to handle fish. Last time we went out I went down to the lake by myself and caught 10 fish, I kept 4 and release 6. Since I know how to release a fish and I don't keep it out of the water longer then 1 breath all the fish were fine. I think it's the parent fault when the kids don't know what to do because they didn't spend time with them to go over how to release fish or how to take a hook out and so on...
They might have to put out a law just like hunting were you take a test first.

Well Said, Especially for someone so young. ;)

I think it's important that 'anyone' who has experience 'help others' that obviously do not.... I 'STRONGLY' believe that Kids like this youngster are the 'Ones' that the 'inexperienced young Anglers' will listen to as they tend to 'connect' much better. Keep up the good work 'Trapshooter' !!

Cheers, :)

ice
07-01-2010, 03:30 AM
There are some very strong points on this thread. But as of for now I'm going to have to agree with flygirrl. I'd rather see some kids lead a recreational life apposed to the trouble makers. I did. It may not have changed they're views but atleast you put in your part.
Good post!
And I realize what you guys are saying.
But you have to realize that we are saving the resources for the youth of tommorow. And And to me I think of it as a way as saving it for yet another generation.
However I do feel everyone should be educated at a younger age. But you have to realize that everyone won't be. But I feel. IF Someone young wants to fish. All the power. And even if your passing by some young fishers atleast stop and pass some knowledge if you notice somthing that mabey they don't

Great thread.
Thx guys

Ice

geezer55
07-01-2010, 07:32 AM
I remembering living in Saskatchewan in the '60s, we lived within walking distance from the Saskatchewan River near Nipawin. Dad would give my brothers and me each a fishing rod and spoon and we would head to spend our day along the river. If we lost the spoon the fishing was over for the day. Caught some fish, never brought any home but had a great time. Moved to southern Alberta we would jump on our bikes, fishing gear in hand, and fish the pothole lake around Taber and we would even bring some home. What a way to grow up and the memories that came with the adventures we went on. To bad that now we don't allow our kids to have the same adventures.

honda450
07-01-2010, 07:48 AM
Never mind fishing. When I was a kid 10-12 years old we would walk threw town with our 22's out to the favourite gopher hunting grounds and noone would bat a eye. hehehe

Thats when noone lived in Alberta. Good old days. hehe

Ya know how many pop bottles I had to collect to buy a box of 22 shorts at 59 cents a box. :sign0176:

geezer55
07-01-2010, 08:06 AM
Ya know how many pop bottles I had to collect to buy a box of 22 shorts at 59 cents a box.

And you could pick them up from the confectionary on main street.

honda450
07-01-2010, 08:13 AM
And you could pick them up from the confectionary on main street.

Yup, and they would take coupons too. Without buying the product on the coupon. Couldn't afford the long range 22's like the 22 long or long rifle, dang they were 79 cents a box. That was another 10 bottles. hehe

Darren N
07-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Never mind fishing. When I was a kid 10-12 years old we would walk threw town with our 22's out to the favourite gopher hunting grounds and noone would bat a eye. hehehe

Thats when noone lived in Alberta. Good old days. hehe

Ya know how many pop bottles I had to collect to buy a box of 22 shorts at 59 cents a box. :sign0176:

i remember that too. We would shake the case of shells like it was a box of smarties. as far as the kids fishing goes i like nothing more than to share what i can with someone younger. My only concern is that kids dont have the respect of the water and how quickly you can get in trouble. If they are really young kids that is.

alodar
07-01-2010, 10:23 PM
well i don't know about anyone else but even adults = a few dead fish.... look at me i cant count the amount of times i have gill hooked a fish.... i consider them all dead even if u cut the hook if you hook them in the gills odds are you are not just causing them to bleed at the gills think about what damage the fight does to the gills bruised punctured and on top of that we suffocate them for at roughly a minute while trying to fight with them to get a hold of the line to cut it. kudos to you for helping them learn how to make the amount of dead fish they catch less and ill also have to agree with sundance they could be doing worse things