PDA

View Full Version : Effect of Magnums on medium sized game

FlyFanatic
06-30-2010, 10:49 PM
I know that these questions have no easy answer and much of it is subjective and up to personal preference, but maybe you guys could give me your personal opinions.

I'm looking for a rifle for moose and elk hunting. I know that there are a variety of cartridges I could use, but right now I'm trying to decide between a 7mm rem mag or a .30-06. I know that both of these cartridges could do the job, but I may also use the gun on deer as well (I'm currently using a .308). Will a 7mm rem mag do considerable damage to the meat if used on deer? How about a 300win mag?

Rackmastr
06-30-2010, 10:52 PM
The main effect is killing the critter dead as heck.

Use a good quality bullet and meat damage is no worse on deer sized game. Hit them in a good spot and shoot a quality bullet and you'll be fine.

Any of the choices you've mentioned are fine. I've shot deer with a 300RUM and various other cartridges and the meat damage is minimal. Crappy bullets cause more damage IMO.

sheephunter
06-30-2010, 11:10 PM
Yup, it's all about the bullet.

Rockymtnx
07-01-2010, 12:57 AM
FlyFanatic, both of these guys have the same opinion as myself. Actually there is no real argument to it. Its all about bullets and bullet placement.
I have done 10 times more damage to a deer with a .243 with a soft point bullet as I have done with a different style bullet in my .300 Weatherby.
I shot my last antelope with my .300 Weatherby. With the proper bullet choice and bullet placement I would have to say that I lost less than 4 ounces of meat on that antelope. So anyone who tells you that Magnums are too big and that you waste to much meat, I call baloney on them.

elkhunter11
07-01-2010, 06:04 AM
I have killed many deer withe 7mmstw,which drives a 7mm bullet even faster than the 7mm remmag.As the previous posters stated,it's all about shot placement,and the bullet that you choose.

Donny Bear
07-01-2010, 06:14 AM
Everything that need be said has been

oldgutpile
07-01-2010, 08:21 AM
Just to back-up the previous poster's comments:
As a butcher, and more importantly, someone who gets to cut and disect lots of game animals each year, shot placement is number one, and good quality bullet a close second. Have seen hundreds of deer come in with major damage done by .243 and 25-06. You would think that some of these guys were using a howitzer on these 90 pound critters! I prefer to see animals taken with a 7mm and up, (as long as it doesnt involve three misplaced shots to do it) as opposed to a super-velocity light-weight that explodes on impact and destroys half the edible meat.
Either one of your choices is more than capable as an all-around rifle, as long as you place the shot and use the right bullet.

catnthehat
07-01-2010, 08:30 AM
I know that these questions have no easy answer and much of it is subjective and up to personal preference, but maybe you guys could give me your personal opinions.

I'm looking for a rifle for moose and elk hunting. I know that there are a variety of cartridges I could use, but right now I'm trying to decide between a 7mm rem mag or a .30-06. I know that both of these cartridges could do the job, but I may also use the gun on deer as well (I'm currently using a .308). Will a 7mm rem mag do considerable damage to the meat if used on deer? How about a 300win mag?

Lots of people I know use the 308 Winchester for moose and elk as well as deer.
HOWEVER, that is not the answer you are looking for if you want to buy a NEW rifle, now, is it?:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Sorry , couldn't help myself!:D
Follow the prvious advice and all will be good!:)

Rantastic
07-01-2010, 09:03 AM
+1 to everything... lol magnum powa!

ACKLEY ABE
07-01-2010, 09:10 AM
[. Have seen hundreds of deer come in with major damage done by .243 and 25-06. You would think that some of these guys were using a howitzer on these 90 pound critters! I prefer to see animals taken with a 7mm and up, (as long as it doesnt involve three misplaced shots to do it) as opposed to a super-velocity light-weight that explodes on impact and destroys half the edible meat.

Finally. Well said. Although the 24's and 25's are fine in their own right, and yes I have a few, I don't personally consider them a great choice for deer. I have seen the same results as noted above with light bullets booking. Myself and a nbr of freinds that guide have seen a ton of animals shot with them(with heavier bullets) and shot well with the bullet just passing through leaving no blood trail. In several cases the animal was found dead ...only because there were tracks to follow in the snow..no blood..just tracks.

Now, with that being said, there are new bullets available that may perform better. The smaller bores are popular in the south where a big buck is 150 lbs not 250 and within their limitations.(read range, velocity, energy, etc.)

Bullet selection is critical ...for any calibre as well as...before someone brings it up for the zillionth time, bullet placement. For deer I start at 6.5 and work up. Nothin wrong with a 7 or 300 mag on deer. I use both and with a good bullet they do no more meat damage than anything else...in fact in most cases..less. No matter what rifle I take deer hunting, I always have a 300 Win. with me and usually it's the one that gets used.

pseelk
07-01-2010, 09:18 AM
I have used the 7mm mag for over 20 yrs on everthing from deer to elk to bears I use a heavier bullet than most-175 gr.As was mentioned earlier shot placement is everything.Hit the ribs not the steaks!

walleyechaser
07-01-2010, 09:45 AM
I will be using a 300 win on deer this season, just cause its new

Stinky Coyote
07-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Everything that need be said has been

maybe not ;)

the non-magnums are more than enough to normal hunting ranges, i think the magnums extra horsepower becomes much more important when trying to do long range work....why beat yourself up with recoil if your just hunting to normal sub-500, probably sub-400 yrd 99% of the time....a regular .270 or 30-06 will get it done and be funner to shoot....a magnum mostly wasted horsepower inside 400 yrds.....imo

pseelk
07-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Cant have to much horsepower-ever!

Stinky Coyote
07-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Cant have to much horsepower-ever!

maybe i should have said "mostly wasted, and negative, horsepower" as lots more than not probably have a pretty decent flinch effecting their potential for top accuracy with the magnums...

whitetail Junkie
07-01-2010, 04:32 PM
I have killed many deer withe 7mmstw,which drives a 7mm bullet even faster than the 7mm remmag.As the previous posters stated,it's all about shot placement,and the bullet that you choose.

What model of Rifle do you got in the 7mm STW?

kayaker
07-02-2010, 12:41 AM
If you already have a .308 then get the 7mmRem.
Use the .308 with 180gr bullets as a bush gun, use the 7mm with 140/150 gr monometals like barnes or decent 160gr bullets as an open county rifle...done!

pitw
07-02-2010, 06:01 AM
Yup, it's all about the bullet.

Yeah right. I'm thinking shot placement far out wieghs your bullet.:fighting0074:

Cowtown guy
07-02-2010, 08:28 AM
If you already have a .308 then get the 7mmRem.
Use the .308 with 180gr bullets as a bush gun, use the 7mm with 140/150 gr monometals like barnes or decent 160gr bullets as an open county rifle...done!

Why the big bullets for a "bush" gun?
I have never understood this reasoning. All bullets will deflect if they hit branches, so why not use a bullet that is better suited for the rifle?

buckman
07-02-2010, 09:11 AM
I shoot a 270 winchester and a 300 weatherby.My experience is that the 270 kills deer shot through the lungs faster(many instant kills)and the 300 runs right through the animal and takes a little longer to kill it.The 270 expends more of its energy inside the deer and creates a larger wound channel,whereas the 300 with its higher speed and ft lbs zips through.I load up with Nosler partition bullets in both rifles.

I have shot more deer with the 270 the ones killed with the 300 were taken while hunting for Elk or Moose and just happend to present themselves.

I have also made one shot kills on Elk and Moose with the 270 however the bullets never made it through.The 300 ploughs a channel better on large game with more speed and power at ranges beyond 200yds therefore should kill more effectivly and those ranges than the lighter callibers.

sheephunter
07-02-2010, 09:18 AM
Yeah right. I'm thinking shot placement far out wieghs your bullet.:fighting0074:

As the op was asking for a comparison of the mechanics of two different cartridges, it kind of seemed obvious to me that it was pointless to introduce the human factor but rather, stick to the mechanics of the damage caused by the cartridge. Of course shot placement matters but it really has little to do with what the op asked. I know you love to snipe at me at every opportunity but why don't you forget your childish obsession for this thread and let's stick to the question. For the sake of the op, let's assume shot placement was proper and equal between the magnum and non-magnum and examine the mechanics of the damage caused. Then it's all about the bullet.......ugh

7RUM
07-04-2010, 05:05 AM
I have never understood this reasoning. All bullets will deflect if they hit branches, so why not use a bullet that is better suited for the rifle?

I like the big bullets for a bush gun because the shot will be close and the 180's should hold together better at higher velocitys. You still have to pick a bullet that is suited for hunting. Some of the heavy bullets are for punching paper.

forest walker
07-04-2010, 10:39 AM
I usualy sit a lot near food sources and wait for a close shot. I never have used what is considered a very high powered magnum and have done fine on moose and deer in the past. I like my 270 and use it most of the time. it does a good job and does not wreck a lot of meat. I use the TSX bullet and it seems to not explode like some of those nosler types that had problems a few years back.

greylynx
07-04-2010, 04:11 PM
FlyFanatic, both of these guys have the same opinion as myself. Actually there is no real argument to it. Its all about bullets and bullet placement.
I have done 10 times more damage to a deer with a .243 with a soft point bullet as I have done with a different style bullet in my .300 Weatherby.
I shot my last antelope with my .300 Weatherby. With the proper bullet choice and bullet placement I would have to say that I lost less than 4 ounces of meat on that antelope. So anyone who tells you that Magnums are too big and that you waste to much meat, I call baloney on them.

You are absolutely correct.

FlyFanatic
07-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Thanks so much for all of your input!

kayaker
07-05-2010, 09:45 AM

Because of meat damage and big wounds, unless you use very tough bullets. I have found light fast bullets to mess up a lot of meat and I personally can't always guarantee to miss bone either. I agree that many people think a 'big bullets' deflects way less but they can deflect badly too. Unless you need a flat trajectory or use premiums, I like a moderate velocity larger bullet.

While a 180gr in a .308 is about as large as one wants to go in that case I don't think 180gr is unsuitable in .308 at all, and about ideal in larger capacity .30's. 220gr is would certainly be a big bullets for the .30's.

Tracker34
07-05-2010, 12:38 PM
I use my 300 Win Mag for everything. Even the odd coyote. 180 gr. accubonds or ballistic silvertip loaded with the max charge of IMR 4350. As long as you keep the shots to the ribs, meat damage is minimal. I use my 308 BLR or 32 special with iron sights for bush guns mainly because they are shorter, lighter and easier to manuver in the thick brush. (180 gr winchester silver tips or pointed soft points)

waylow
07-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Nothing runs like a deer...nothing kills deer like a magnum.

aulrich
07-05-2010, 01:34 PM
I went from 308win to 338win to 270win.

Like others have said the bullet is the key personally never found one for the 338 that expanded enough on deer that did not take a quarter or two if I was not careful.

Fix that problem with the 270 the plain 130 grain seirra kill the deer I mostly hunt the odd year I have a moose or elk tag the 338 comes out. The "downgrade" to a non magnum for most of my hunting has been a fantastic success for me.

I am not a big fan of the "one gun" thing anymore balancing attributes is just too much of a pain. a deer gun + a moose/elk gun. more guns = more better :)