PDA

View Full Version : comorants everywere

mongo
07-01-2010, 09:13 AM
anyone notice these fish eating birds are everywere . my trout suppler shot one on a trout pound & found twenty 4 to 6 inch trout in it.it couldnt fly off the pond .if that the case how much damage do ya think there doing to of fisheries.i watched one in our pond kill but didnt eat a 10" trout .

great white whaler
07-01-2010, 10:08 AM
anyone notice these fish eating birds are everywere . my trout suppler shot one on a trout pound & found twenty 4 to 6 inch trout in it.it couldnt fly off the pond .if that the case how much damage do ya think there doing to of fisheries.i watched one in our pond kill but didnt eat a 10" trout .

Now ya got me thinking i seen 6 of them there birds in a little pond in town,thay were swimming and diving together,all day long,i counted 54 pelicans also,seems to b more and more each year,easy food 4 them,and dont 4 get the loons:)

go-big-or-go-home
07-01-2010, 10:11 AM
i was watching the national geo channel yesterday about the great lakes water situation and fish numbers dropping. when they would stock the lake with trout, i think 9 thousond a year it said, they stand gaurd with paintball guns and fire rounds at seagulls and any other bird swarming about when releasing the fish. dont know wat else really a guy could do with birds when they are causing a threat to a hatchery.

Steven Noel
07-01-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to shoot Cormorants, they fall under the same category as loons, grebes, pelicans etc.

go-big-or-go-home
07-01-2010, 12:27 PM
not shoot to kill, they where using paintball guns with wat im sure was enviromently friendly paintballs.

hustler
07-01-2010, 01:36 PM
My mom lives by southgate and had one steal approx 15 Koi fish 6-10" out of her pond in the back yard......right in the city.... now she has nets over it but Cmon..... $50 a fish no less......
They are some brave buggers.....

mongo
07-03-2010, 07:59 AM
ya can get a permit to shoot two comerants a year .

MadTrapper
07-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Just got back from canoe lake, at least 200 pelicans and maybe a 1000 cormorants on the lake and the #'s are increasing every year!

John Spartan
07-04-2010, 07:09 PM
That might change over the next few years if both pelicans and cormorants fly south to the Gulf. I suspect that we may see their numbers impacted by the oilspill, but to what extent is anyone's guess, including the biologists down there.

floppychicken
07-04-2010, 08:45 PM
...a bird that can dive to up to 100 friggin' feet deep and swim almost as well as it fly's 'Above' the lake... Yikes! Some Far EAST fishermen have 'actually trained' them to FISH for THEM by putting a 'leash and collar' around their necks.. That is some crazy Shizz-nazz... Definitely a GREAT way to find the 'BAITFISH' that Walters and Slimers are looking for when you see those birds diving into and 'bobbing' with just their 'neck' above the water!

mclean
07-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Was reading a study on food requirements for water birds,
Cormorants feeding @300x1.43 lbs fish per day x 5 mos= 64,350lbs of fish.
Pelicans feeding @60 x 3.75 lbs of fish per day x 5 mos =33,750 lbs of fish
Total 98,100 lbs of fish
A report on Oneida Lake in New York and Minersville Res. in Utah have implicated cormorants as a major cause for reduced fish populations in those areas.
That is a lot of fish in a season.

mclean
07-04-2010, 09:05 PM
I think i may catch one of these critters and tie a long string on its leg it will work a lot better than my fish finder at the St Marys tournament next weekend, maybe i will catch walters mommy.:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout: