PDA

View Full Version : brown trout?

Calgaryguy1977
07-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Hey folks,
I was just curious where you guys think the best place would be to catch brown trout? I've heard south of Calgary but not sure where.
Any ideas?

hunter49
07-01-2010, 05:37 PM
Calgaryguy,

I heard a rumour the other day about this magical place, its called the "bow river" and runs right through our city. Lots of browns and rainbows!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

baitfisher83
07-01-2010, 05:40 PM
nice sarcasm hunter....lol but yeah it can be good for browns...try chuckin an orange and gold panther martin in there, or a silver/black rapala

Calgaryguy1977
07-01-2010, 06:01 PM
My concern is can you eat bow trout though? Also would the fish in fish creek park be edible as well? I know the bow is a great trout river but I'm pretty skeptical about eating anything out of it.

baitfisher83
07-01-2010, 06:08 PM
the fish in the bow are fine, I think people say it's no good just to push people to C@R, I've eaten fish from there before and never had an issue with them. Pulled a couple nice whites from there last summer and they actually tasted pretty good.....problem with trout is you're unlikely to find alot of them in the 14 inch and under range that you'd be allowed to keep...

Braun
07-01-2010, 09:15 PM
I've kept a couple small rainbow and brown from the bow this year. I'd tell you not to eat them only so I could catch the small ones and eat them myself...... The fish in the bow taste sensational. It is tricky to find some of the smaller ones that you can actually keep but you will have fun with the bigger guys while you search for a keeper.

Calgaryguy1977
07-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Since i'm a newb to the bow, where do you suggest I fish? I assume theres no bait allowed so should I use a spoon? I also have a fly rod but I just got it and I'm an amateur. I also checked out the places to fish map created by this forum and I checked out one of those spots tonight with no luck.
Thanks again for the input guys!

FishBrain
07-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Some people are having luck and well, others are not. But thats fishing!
I suggest keep trying, find a spot on the bow and work your way up or down from there hitting all the pools you can find.
Good luck

Braun
07-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Give the glenmore bridge a try. (glenmore east of deerfoot.) the river becomes very wide here. i see alot of fly fisherman on the west side of the river because it shallows out and slows down a little and on the east side ive had luck. just under the bridge on the rocks ends a really quick run and it slows up under the bridge and the water calms out. If you have no luck here you can always walk over to carburn and catch a few pike fry to boost your confidence before you head home. ha

Calgaryguy1977
07-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Hahaha
Confidence isn't the issue as I've caught quite a few fish over the years but thanks for the advice! I'm sure I'll eventually find my own spots on the bow as well. That said, I think I may try the Bow down by riverbend tonight as you say.
Thanks man!!