PDA

View Full Version : Beavers

nube
07-02-2010, 04:39 PM
I was down at the North Saskatchewan River the other night with the kids and watched a pile of beavers go up and down the river within the city limits downstream of the dump towards Fort Sask. i was thinking it would be fun to shoot a bunch of them with the bow one spring as a thought. Then I thought of the legalities of it all. I have a trapping licence and in reality the river is public property. Weapon of choice is a bow which is legal. Am i missing something here? it seems like it would all be legal and a fun little thing to do in the spring. Beavers are not worth a lot but it would be nice to get some good prime pelts for tanning. i may have to call F+ W. Anyone else think a crazy thing like this?

timba
07-02-2010, 07:23 PM
I was going to try shoot some with the bow that a guy is having problem with.I was wondering if a person would put on a fishing set up on the bow.I could use the beavers for bear bait next spring.

timba

Walleyes
07-02-2010, 07:50 PM
My concern would be with recovery.. Them buggers will run from a .243 and dive and never be found.. Mind you an arrow might be something different.. I would say give it a shot and see what happens,, sounds like fun either way..

nube
07-02-2010, 08:05 PM
I have actually shot them with my bow before and have used broadheads. You need to be quick with a fish net or have someone with a line on an arrow after to get them from sinking. If you use just field points you have to stick a bunch of arrows in them and it can cost a bit. I think I might be onto something here. Jsut have to check out the legalities of it all to make sure.
Sounds liek it could be a fun thing as there are a pile of beavers in some of these big rivers around and they are pretty tame.

ishootbambi
07-02-2010, 08:22 PM
no bylaw in edmonchuk about shooting your bow in city limits?

nube
07-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Not in the area I am thinking most likly. It is on the edge of the city and people bowhunt deer. AS long as the thing is not sitting on someones farmland I don't have permision on I bet it is all good.

ishootbambi
07-02-2010, 09:41 PM
if thats the case i recommend a fish point with a string on it. sounds like it would be fun for sure.

drake
07-02-2010, 09:43 PM
i thought beavs were only killable on private land....being a fur bearer and all.

nube
07-02-2010, 09:46 PM
I was thinking that but I also think they may fight a little too hard before I could get a kill shot into them. I was thinking broadhead then fishpoint possibly.

I think if it works I am going to have to get my guides license and start up a bowhunt for beavers. Daily rate $300. I'd make a fortune:sHa_shakeshout:

I really think it may be a ton of fun! Soemthing to do in the spring anyways.