PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing

Calgaryguy1977
07-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Hey guys/gals,
I'm fairly new to fly fishing and although I can cast decent, I can't cast quite like the pros....lol. That said, where are good spots on the bow where I can wade out up to my hips to a nice hole? Any ideas/input is greatly appreciated!!
Cheers!

Doc
07-03-2010, 08:10 AM
Just pick an access point and start hiking. Look for a shallow riffle and walk downstream of it. After the riffle you should see some deep choppy water, this is what you want to get your flies into. If nymphing, make sure your flies are bouncing off the bottom and concentrate on the seems (where fast water meets slow water). Start at the top of this run and work you way down into the slow deep pool that follows. Then leave the water and walk back up to the top of the run and try again. I recommend sitting and observing the run before fishing it to see if you can spot any risers and to study what insects that may be present. You can also try flipping some rocks over in the shallow riffle as these are what's getting flushed down to the trout. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Doc

Calgaryguy1977
07-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the advice my friend, much appreciated!!
Cheers

Richard B.
07-04-2010, 05:43 AM
Try going down Bow Bottom Trail into Fish Creek Park and use one of the parking lots from Bankside to near Hwy 22X,walk to the river and go up or downstream depending on your mood. There are lots of good places to fish in this area and you can always try the other bank.

Best of luck

Richard