PDA

View Full Version : New Bino choices! Advice?

hadda
07-03-2010, 12:44 AM
So I need to buy some mid-priced binoculars and I've pretty much narrowed my choice down between the leupold pinnacles, the vortex furys, and a refurbished pair of nikon monarchs that are $200 U.S. OR I could save up my dimes and snag the vortex vipers? Is the picture difference worth the doubled price tag over the furys? Also, I've heard vortex and leupold have excellent warranties, but i'm not so sure about nikon.

Albertabowhunter
07-03-2010, 01:58 AM
Id say take the deal on the monarchs..... if you dont, tellme where they are, for $200, I will scoop them....

great lenses in my opinion, thats what im looking for sometime in the next couple months

Wrongside
07-03-2010, 06:48 AM
My Pinnacles have been great. I really like them. They were on for a real good price though. I wouldn't pay what WSS is/was asking.

Buzz
07-03-2010, 07:07 AM
I am a fan of the pinnacles - although I am a bit biased...:) Plus, their Canadian customer service office is in Okotoks.

Scott N
07-03-2010, 07:25 AM
I don't have a pair, but I've been hearing a lot of good things about the Minox brand of optics.

hadda
07-03-2010, 11:30 AM
I don't have a pair, but I've been hearing a lot of good things about the Minox brand of optics.

Yeah I found some of those for a good price online, but i don't think their warranty is so solid compared to some other companies.

ishootbambi
07-03-2010, 09:03 PM
where are you hadda? i know of a place with a great deal on the leupolds.

IR_mike
07-03-2010, 10:18 PM
I was pretty impressed with the low light performance of the bushnell e2
(+/-500$) against some more expensive brands while doing a side by side comparison last fall.

sillyak
07-03-2010, 11:05 PM
Monarchs are excellent. So long as they are in good condition that is an easy choice.

creeker064
07-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Go with the Monarchs. I did a lot of research before I bought mine due to the many choices and price ranges. I have had mine for about 5 yrs and use them mostly for waterfowl. I have been very happy with them.

Okotokian
07-05-2010, 02:42 PM
I have Monarchs and are very happy with them. I'm sure the "euro-glass" binos that get raves are nicer but out of my price range. Never tried the Vortex. I did try the Leupolds and didn't like them as much as the Monarchs, but perhaps that is just my eyes. They were in the ballpark.

Homesteader
07-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Another vote for the Monarchs, as well I don't think the new ones are much more if you can find a sale.

mudbug
07-05-2010, 03:24 PM
I've got a set of Bushnell H20 8X42 and I really like them and can't say anything bad about them at all. They're a lot cheaper than the ones you've mentioned but the quality of them rates them up there with the more expensive ones ( $200 - $300 range ). They're waterproof/fogproof well armoured for when you bang or bump them around. They have a close up feature if your birding as well as decent optics ( BaK-4 Prisms which are quite decent) for hunting etc. For an all around set you can't beat them. They are better ones but they are way more expensive and for me, for a working pair of Binoclulars they're a great deal. I'd buy another pair in a second if I ever lost these ones, check them out before you buy and I bet you'll like them :sHa_shakeshout:

Plus they are around $120.00 so if you break or loose them your not going to have a fit about it like you would with a $500 plus pair :thinking-006:

Check them out, they also have a 10X42 if you want a little more power, I chose the 8X42 because they work slightly better in low light
http://www.bushnell.com/products/binoculars/h2o/150842/

noneck180
07-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Zeiss, Swarovski and Leica..

mtnhunter
07-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Not a huge fan of Leupold; perhaps I got a defective spotting scope, but the quality of the image is not very good. I would go with the Nikon out of the optics you mention... but I would suggest saving up for the best quality euro optics you can afford. They will pay you back in memories over the years!

Booner Sniper
07-05-2010, 08:59 PM
When i was doing my research on a new pair a couple of years ago, I talked to a couple of camera shops, and other guys in various shops. I was set on a pair of leupolds, and the guy talked me out of it, he said for the money Pentax are your best bet. The guy at Camerland in NY said that they are by far the best out there without stepping up to Zeiss, or Swaros.
I would go with the Monarchs out of the ones you have listed, but I would go with Pentax, I'm very very happy with mine, they are crystal clear, good at low light, and have been hunted pretty hard!

heathlight
07-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Yeah I found some of those for a good price online, but i don't think their warranty is so solid compared to some other companies.

I own a pair of Minox BD 10x42 ASPH's and my friend has the HG 10x52's and we really like them. I have to disagree with the statement regarding the warranty. After talking to Minox directly, they give a 30 year warranty that pretty much covers everything except loss and dilibrate abuse. I have heard nothing but excellent things on customer service regarding their products, and even further, although is up to their discretion, I have heard of examples online of guys sending them back, admitting it was there fault, and Minox replacing the bino's with a new pair! The glass is equel in my opinion to Zeiss, Leica, or Steiner, on their HG line. Check them out, as I believe you will not be dissapointed! Doug at Cameraland in New York treated us both well. I believe the really good deals at Cameraland are discontinued models, as Minox are moving their plant from Japan, back to Germany. Not too sure, but this is just what I heard. my 2 cents!

kevpack
07-08-2010, 02:58 PM
X2 on the Minox, I bought a pair of the 15x58 ed glasses and they are so clear they will be replacing my spotting scope. The clarity is one thing but also not having just one eye lookin through a great big lens feels luxurious.

skywrench
07-09-2010, 12:50 PM
I've been using some 9x40 Steiner Bighorns for some time and they have kept me very satisfied. While the Bighorns aren't in production anymore they have some nice stuff and I can attest to Steiner quality and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the brand.

Bearman
07-12-2010, 06:56 PM
I have been using Monarchs for the last ten years. I just replaced them with a pair of Leica HD. I would buy another pair in a heartbeat. great glass for the money

pikergolf
07-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Zen Ray ed2 8X43. I've plugged them before on this site, aprox. 500 bucks shipped to your door, if you don't like them send them back. I don't think you will find a better value anywhere!! Order direct from the factory.

BeardedHunter
07-13-2010, 12:17 PM
I have just finished researching the "Nikon Monarch X" as I have friends with the Monarch ATB and will be ordering them tonight out of the states for 450.00. The Monarch X are the almost the same as the ATB but have great visibility in low light conditions that used to only be available in Nikons high end binos.