PDA

View Full Version : Where to fish near Calgary?

yukonfisher
07-04-2010, 02:18 AM
So, I'm new to fishing in/around Calgary. I've tried the Glenmore Reservoir with no luck, also upper and lower Kananskis lakes (from shore, spin casting) with the same outcome. I'm taking the girlfriend out fishing tomorrow and shes never caught any fish and I would LOVE to take her somewhere within 2hours of Calgary where we are going to catch something! Again, we spin cast and have no access to a boat, also no GPS so somewhere not to hard to find would be nice. Any information on how to fish the spot would also be gratefully appreciated (Where, when, with what tackle/bait etc.) I know I'm asking allot but I'm finding it very hard/frustrating to find any info on fishing in/around Calgary. If any of you are ever going up to the Yukon and need any information on fishing there, I'll gladly give you all my secret spots!

Thanks in advance,
YukonFisher

RedHeadedFisherman
07-04-2010, 02:51 AM
So, I'm new to fishing in/around Calgary. I've tried the Glenmore Reservoir with no luck, also upper and lower Kananskis lakes (from shore, spin casting) with the same outcome. I'm taking the girlfriend out fishing tomorrow and shes never caught any fish and I would LOVE to take her somewhere within 2hours of Calgary where we are going to catch something! Again, we spin cast and have no access to a boat, also no GPS so somewhere not to hard to find would be nice. Any information on how to fish the spot would also be gratefully appreciated (Where, when, with what tackle/bait etc.) I know I'm asking allot but I'm finding it very hard/frustrating to find any info on fishing in/around Calgary. If any of you are ever going up to the Yukon and need any information on fishing there, I'll gladly give you all my secret spots!

Thanks in advance,
YukonFisher

lots of places,.. but if you want fun fishing.. just to get out, less tha 2 hrs south from calgary. go here...

Pine Coulee Reservoir
Fee: @20.00 per night/access to Pine Coulee campground
Calgary south.. Okotoks, High River, Nanton, Stavely
6km west & 4 km south of Stavely Alberta on SH 527 then 1km east on Township Road 140 Follow the boat launch signs on good paved roads ( till you get to Pine Coulee) Good Boat Launch.

http://maps.google.ca/maps? find #2 highway, go south to Stavely ,.. west on 527 and you can zoom in on the lake real good L)

get smelts, cut into 4-5 1/2 3/4 " pecies, get a green 1/32nd oz jig head ( this time of year, with the water as it is, i have found they like a small presintation.)
cast out from shore, or the dock and slowly retrive often "twiching"(jiging) the tip.. Walleye are 8-20" ( no bigger as they are stunted, no forrage fish in this lake. Pike can be kept. all 'eye's are catch and release.

hope you have fun!!

soggysocks
07-04-2010, 12:49 PM
Later in the month I'd recommend some slip bobbers to maneuver the weeds a bit better but 1/32 seems pretty light if you aren't sporting ultra light rod/reel. Tried it with 1/16 before felt like I could never feel bottom at the 30ft depth.

I've had success with 3/8 Jig Heads that I tie with Marabou. You can buy these at the store though. They are called bugaboos. I've had success with brown/black/olive colours and fl. yellow/green/red colours. White has always failed me though! I've been meaning to try a lower profile to see how that works so perhaps that what I will do this weekend!

Anyway, if your like me and are catching your 20th walleye in the hour and getting sick of baiting minnows or just running out of bait. Those Marabou Jigs have worked just as well. Also used lipstick jigs(ones with the tentacles on the ass end) and storm wild eyes. Lots of fun when you want to fish more aggressively.

Don't leave behind the minnows though! Great to have when the fish are lethargic

yukonfisher
07-04-2010, 11:21 PM
Thanks allot for the info! Unfortunately the little lady melts in the rain, so we decided to try again tomorrow (Even though the forecast is worse! :( ). Keep the info coming though guys/gals. There's plenty of summer left, and fishing one spot might get a little boring! ;)

Thanks again,
YukonFisher

Calgaryguy1977
07-04-2010, 11:36 PM
If you want almost a sure thing head to allen bill pond.......
go south to the 22 (end of mcleod or deerfoot) then head west and keep driving. It will turn into the highway 66...its not that long of a drive, id say 45 to 60 mins. Shortly after you enter Kananaskis you will see mclean lake/pond sign.....its right after that on your left.

Google map coordinates are
50.900538,-114.689918
(just copy and paste that into google maps

We caught a good 10-20 there today in about 2-3 hours (released all but 5 of them)

for bait try shrimp (the rubbery frozen kind not canned), worms, velveeta cheese all balled up or even powerbait works ok there.

Try the northwest part of the pond where the inlet comes in....it looks shallow but it will be fine.

Average size is around 8-14 inches and fish the north west end of the pond.
The second stocking they did in june has larger fish I believe than the may one.

Better get there before they all get fished out!

as a tip wait till the wind dies down and see where they jump....they always travel in a decent sized school in this pond so they shouldnt be hard to miss. In fact you will often see them swim by on a clear calm day.
They bite well between 8-11 am and 3-6 pm in my experience there.

p.s. if you get skunked you can also try mclean pond (its stocked as well)
Cheers