PDA

View Full Version : Elbow Lake/ Rae Lake

fishnamed
09-18-2007, 11:30 PM
Anybody fished these lakes? Do you know whats in them, Rae looks like it is a bit of hike, but Elbow looks fairly close, any ideas what type of fly they would hit this time of year? I would like to go for a bit of a hike and fish on sunday any info would be helpful.
thanks....

sheephunter
09-18-2007, 11:54 PM
Elbow is loaded with small brook trout that are pretty easy to catch. Rae is about a three hour hike but there are no fish in it. They winter killed about 8 or 10 years ago and have never been restocked. Tombstone Lake does have a good population of cutties though.

Calloway99
09-19-2007, 07:01 AM
Sheephunter,
How long is the hike into Tombstone? I have fished Elbow a number of times and keep thinking of heading into Tombstone, but never find the time.

Thanks
Sean

hauchk
09-19-2007, 07:56 AM
What part of our fair province are these lakes located?

sheephunter
09-19-2007, 08:48 AM
It's another 2.5-3 hours to Tombstone from Elbow. These lakes are all in the Elbow region of Kananaskis Country.

Calloway99
09-19-2007, 01:00 PM
Thanks Sheephunter.
Is there good fishing from shore or the shallows at Tombstone. I may head out fishing this weekend and if I can fish Tombstone without dragging a bellyboat in, it might be a good option.

Sean
www.sdcfinewoodworking.com

Map Maker
09-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Along the same trail is talus lake. Great little lake you can fish from shore for some nice size cutts.
I havent been there in a few years though.
You can camp overnight at ?romulus? campground and talus is about another 3 km from there.

sheephunter
09-19-2007, 02:48 PM
It's a small lake that is easily fished from shore.

Talus Lake....now that is a bit of a haul in there. Last time I was there, there wasn't even a trail but now I hear it's a bit easier to get in. It still must be a 6+ hour hike though.