PDA

View Full Version : WaterFowl\Upland Taxidermy

whitetail Junkie
07-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Well only two more months till bird season opens.My goal this year is to target a Male goldeneye in December to put on the Wall.I shot a Nice drake pintail last december that I would have mounted,but the 12 semi-auto tore him apart to much:mad0100:.

I've only got 3 birds on the wall so far.The green wing teal was'nt the best taxi job in the world,probabley because it only cost $150 to get it done.Ben from art of taxidermy in Lethbridge did the wood duck.

Anyone got any bird taxidermy pictures to share?

lucky_magic_stick
07-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Here are my birds also some horns are in there dont know how to get them off the slide show .This is Bretts slide show he did for me.Cheers Andy

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o232/brett_lee/?albumview=slideshow

GooseSlammer
07-13-2010, 12:56 PM
I'll post some pics in the next few days. I use Bruin Taxidermy in Calgary and he does excellent work on waterfowl. I shot a blue/canada cross a few years back that he did amazing work on. Cool looking goose - better looking mount! Plus a neck collared blue that my old retriever tracked down for me!

I'll put them up as soon as I can.

On another note - where did you shoot the woodie? In Alberta?

What about the December Pintail? I've only ever seen one here in December.

And one final question - what's the plan for finding a Goldeneye? I've always been interested in diver hunting, but it's not something I'm experienced with.

They're beautiful ducks for sure...

whitetail Junkie
07-13-2010, 01:30 PM
I'll post some pics in the next few days. I use Bruin Taxidermy in Calgary and he does excellent work on waterfowl. I shot a blue/canada cross a few years back that he did amazing work on. Cool looking goose - better looking mount! Plus a neck collared blue that my old retriever tracked down for me!

I'll put them up as soon as I can.

On another note - where did you shoot the woodie? In Alberta?

What about the December Pintail? I've only ever seen one here in December.

And one final question - what's the plan for finding a Goldeneye? I've always been interested in diver hunting, but it's not something I'm experienced with.

They're beautiful ducks for sure...

a cross bread canada,blue goose sounds very unique,nice Find.The wood duck was shot at Rattlesnake lake which is 20 minuits south of medicine hat.

My Dad and I found a Natural hotspring where the Foothills meet the praires and the ducks stay there year round,because the water stays open,this is where I shot the pintail,and this is where i've seen both species of golden eyes,buffleheads,ringnecks,and of coarse mallards,which account for 90% of the ducks in the area.

Twice in my december spot I missed male goldeneye's:mad0100: but did catch a goldeneye hen in 2008.

simmered
07-13-2010, 05:00 PM
Don't have any birds mounted yet........key word being yet!!!! but I've noticed you guys talk about winter birds. IS it like wolves and coyote, is the plumage better looking the colder it gets? Thoughts?
Gunning for a nice specklebelly this year (i'm sure like everyone else!)

Cowboy Al
07-13-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm truly envious of the wood duck, that is my dream bird. (all your mounts look good)
Ben does excellent bird work and if I'm ever able to get something worthy of mounting he'll be doing it. I'm truly envious of the wood duck that is my dream bird.

dbcooper
07-13-2010, 11:23 PM
[QUOTE=whitetail Junkie;622871]Well only two more months till bird season opens.My goal this year is to target a Male goldeneye in December to put on the Wall.I shot a Nice drake pintail last december that I would have mounted,but the 12 semi-auto tore him apart to much:mad0100:.

Nice pics and mounts man! Is $150.00 a good price? I'm not made of money but it seems reasonable. Considering how good they look.

DB

GooseSlammer
07-15-2010, 11:34 AM
Man! You've got late season ringnecks too?? JEALOUS!!!

I've always wanted to get one, and I've only ever seen one or two.

Sounds like a sweet spot. A buddy of mine had a place like that where he got a woodie once too!!! :lol: And then he shot a wood duck!!!

HAHA!!!! That one just kinda happened... I digress...

I'd love to find a spot like that. I'm actually thinking of planning some trips to the US (or Mexico) for some mounters in the future. Mexican sun along with colored up Redheads and Pintails sounds pretty good.

whitetail Junkie
07-15-2010, 11:54 AM
Man! You've got late season ringnecks too?? JEALOUS!!!

I've always wanted to get one, and I've only ever seen one or two.

Sounds like a sweet spot. A buddy of mine had a place like that where he got a woodie once too!!! :lol: And then he shot a wood duck!!!

HAHA!!!! That one just kinda happened... I digress...

I'd love to find a spot like that. I'm actually thinking of planning some trips to the US (or Mexico) for some mounters in the future. Mexican sun along with colored up Redheads and Pintails sounds pretty good.

I hav'nt seen to many ringnecks,but they are there.I always bring my spotting scope\bino's with me duck hunting this spot,and Can see them on the big water of a near bye pond\lake,if it is still open.

I managed to set aside a few bucks for waterfowl taxidermy this year,I know that I can get a male bufflehead and a full plumage red head,but the trick is to not blow them apart:mad0100:.A male canvas back would also look good on the wall.they are a weird looking duck that have red eye's.well the males do.

I dont know,I'll just have to see what happens I guess??

whitetail Junkie
07-15-2010, 11:58 AM
I'm truly envious of the wood duck, that is my dream bird. (all your mounts look good)
Ben does excellent bird work and if I'm ever able to get something worthy of mounting he'll be doing it. I'm truly envious of the wood duck that is my dream bird.

Yaa Ben does Great work.I think you live in Medicine hat Right?

I'll Tell you what,if I ever shoot another male wood duck again,if you want it for taxidermy i'll give it to you.if you want?

We shot two male wood ducks in 2005,but they had no color yet,then I got the one that I mounted in 2008.I actully shot him in the MHFGA or pheasant forever place at rattlesnake,he fell right where you guys planted them rows of little tree's or bushes.