PDA

View Full Version : Alberta fishing help

bodawner
07-04-2010, 07:50 PM
Hi. I'm trying to plan a weekend fishing trip for myself, my son and my fiance. This fishing thing is new to me, but want to give it a try. I've heard Travers Res is really good. Does anyone have any suggestions. Somewhere preferably where my son will defiantely catch a decent fish. And where we can camp (tent) for the weekend. Any advice helps.

Thanks

Albertafisher
07-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Lake Baptiste is awesome for big pike, as long as you can set the hook well, you will catch fish. and there is good camping accommodations (only for tents), plus its a beautiful lake. Try near reed beds and drop-offs.

Walleyes
07-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Where are you located at,, south or north ??? and how far would you prefer to travel ...

bodawner
07-04-2010, 08:33 PM
Hey, thanks.
Does anyone know of anywhere closer. I'm in Calgary, Ab.
I'd like to try travers....but not sure of close by camping...

Thanks again

npauls
07-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Maybe try pine coulee res. It is just as close or closer then travers and is almost a for sure to catch some walleyes. All around the same size but def. a good place to keep the kids entertained. There is a small camp ground and I don't think there is a whole lot of wild life activity to worry about like bears.

Nate

WayneChristie
07-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Little Bow Provincial Park is on Travers. dont know about the fishing right now, but theres supposed to be thunderstorms all day Monday so it wont be a good idea to be out on the lake.

WayneChristie
07-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Maybe try pine coulee res. It is just as close or closer then travers and is almost a for sure to catch some walleyes. All around the same size but def. a good place to keep the kids entertained. There is a small camp ground and I don't think there is a whole lot of wild life activity to worry about like bears.

Nate

Not too many sites at the lake, so if you cant find one Willow Creek Park is only 5 minutes away from the lake. Take lots of smelts and 1/4 ounce jigs for the walleye, and they are C and R only.

Okotokian
07-05-2010, 01:31 PM
This fishing thing is new to me, but want to give it a try.

Make sure you've all got your WIN cards and fishing licences (Son doesn't need them if he's under 16).

bodawner
07-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Thanks everyone
I just bought WIN and Fishing Licence

Okotokian
07-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Thanks everyone
I just bought WIN and Fishing Licence

Good luck!

nicemustang
07-05-2010, 03:40 PM
You can stay at the Provincial park at Travers, called Little bow Provincial park. Tough to get a site on weekends unless you book in advance or go mid week. You can fish off the dock at the PP (jig and minnow) or off the shore 50-100 feet out from the east shoreline running north/south next to the PP day use area. This area is the river channel. Fish with pickeral rig and minnows on the bottom. Or you can fish at the spillway. Pickeral rig and minnows. PM me if you need more information.

As stated, if you want good fishing from shore is a good choice. Any spot along the west shoreline 50-100 feet out with a pickeral rig and minnows should catch you plenty of fish. Have never camped down there myself, so see other posts.

Else, if trout is your fancy, and maybe you live at the south end of the city....a good place to go is camp at Gooseberry out on the hiway 66 into kananakis. Then you can fish Mclean creek or Allan bill pond for stocked rainbows. Pickeral rig and worms, cheese or powerbait (altough I just use worms) or slip bobber and small hook with worms or cheese (velvetta cheese that is). Plenty of small 6-8" stocked rainbows and fun/easy to catch.

PS: Welcome to the forum. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

Mandie
07-08-2010, 02:11 PM
How's the camping at willow creek because we were thinking of going there this weekend. I know pine coulee is really close there for walley and pike fishing. I went there last week, nice place.