PDA

View Full Version : Elk Spotted

bluenoser
07-04-2010, 10:00 PM
I was off to work june 30th when I SPOTTED SOMETHING COMMING across a field, thought probly deer but on a closer look two bull elk!!!5x5 or so.
Not uncommon I guess, but this was on hwy 830 south of NSR and north of hwy 15.Anyone elce see them?Maybe transplanted from Elk Island? Never knew Elk lived in this area. Any ideas,or have I just been missing them all this time?:thinking-006:

IR_mike
07-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Elk are expanding very nicely in the NE part of the province.

There was a very large localized population in 504 till the season was open in 2002. Long story short hillbillies, spotlights, tresspassing, and indy 500 style hunting out of pickups. For the number of animals present very few were actually harvested or registered as it was still manditory.

This dispersed the animals in the immediate area. There are now small but growing populations in wmus 500, 501, 502, and 514 as well as the 200 wmus to the south that were not present 10+ years ago.

I just hope they do not have a whole lot of agricultural problems that would cause F and W to open a season till their numbers have built up to the point that sighting a elk is a common occurance instead of occasional as it is now.

I seen 13 in one group last week. :)

bluenoser
07-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the info on the Elk, it would be nice to see them more often than not in the area.I hunt in one of the areas you listed, seen Elk tracks but no anmials yet been hunting in that area for 4 years now.
The Elk I seen were in 250.