PDA

View Full Version : Tsuu T'ina Nations Fishing Question

Calgaryguy1977
07-04-2010, 10:36 PM
I was thinking about this today as I was passing through morley and thought I wonder what would happen if I tried to fish there...not that I would need to.

I think I know the answer to this but has anyone ever fished on the river passing through tsuu t'ina nations? I'm guessing you need to ask their permission. Who would you contact and is there any point? Do alberta regulations apply when fishing there? I assume not for natives but probably would for me even if they let me.

And before anyone says it, I know there's plenty of other places on the river to fish Im just curious as to how welcoming they are with people on their reservation.

Anyone have any input or experience fishing around there?
Cheers!

walking buffalo
07-05-2010, 09:14 AM
You definately should not enter Nation Lands without permission. Federal tresspass laws apply. This includes watercourses.

Regarding Tsuu T'ina and the Elbow, I have fished this stretch for years, while being accompanied by Nation members. You will not be given permission to fish the river unaccompanied. And honestly, you can find much better river fishing near Calgary.

In addition to enjoying some marginal fishing on beautiful water, we also get to keep our eyes open for live munitions remaining from the days of Canadian Forces occupation. Despite many years of clean up, the Elbow Valley Upstream of Glenmore resevoir is littered with rotting live rockets, grenades, mines, and bombs. Some of these are of very significant size (air dropped).

A warning to people who spend time in Weaslehead. Despite Federal, Provincial and City officials denials, this area is also contaminated with live munitions.

Fishingnutter
07-05-2010, 10:50 AM
You definately should not enter Nation Lands without permission. Federal tresspass laws apply. This includes watercourses.

Regarding Tsuu T'ina and the Elbow, I have fished this stretch for years, while being accompanied by Nation members. You will not be given permission to fish the river unaccompanied. And honestly, you can find much better river fishing near Calgary.

In addition to enjoying some marginal fishing on beautiful water, we also get to keep our eyes open for live munitions remaining from the days of Canadian Forces occupation. Despite many years of clean up, the Elbow Valley Upstream of Glenmore resevoir is littered with rotting live rockets, grenades, mines, and bombs. Some of these are of very significant size (air dropped).

A warning to people who spend time in Weaslehead. Despite Federal, Provincial and City officials denials, this area is also contaminated with live munitions.

years before the upper elbow washout I keep hearing about,, we used to fly fish in the Beaver Ponds and I stopped when my fishing partner spotted and later reported quite a large mortar,,,, eeeeek.

spot and stock
07-05-2010, 11:02 AM
My grand parents lived in lakeview when i was a kid. I spent countless days sneaking around by the base from Weasel Head,never saw any shells and such but I sure looked. Cought a lot of nice Jack and Whites west of the bike path bridge back then. There used to be a bear trap back in there too.

jts1
07-05-2010, 11:26 AM
A little of topic but I used to work for Flint Energy as a Hoe Operator spent a lot of time on the Suffileld Block. Used to dig up shells all the time. Gets your heart pounding a little when you swing your boom and see a shell sticking out of the bucket.

walking buffalo
07-05-2010, 11:43 AM
I grew up in Oakridge, spent many days messing around the ponds in Weaselhead. Besides fishing, I had a penchant for catching Leopard frogs and Tiger Salamanders. Never saw a bomb, or at least didn't recognize one.

Every year now, my friends (Trained in munitions disposal) and I mark and arrange disposal of dozens of live morters and rockets along and in the Elbow on Nation land. Two years ago, Munitions clean up on Nation land bordering Weaslehead was repeated. From the river, to the south boundry of Weaslehead, hundreds of live rockets and morter rounds were removed, many of them directly underneath the chain link fence marking the border.

Discovery Ridge is another area of Calgary that still has penty of live munitions laying around. Along the Elbow here in the natural area, there are signs telling people to stay on the paved paths, and that you are not allowed to walk in the trees for "environmental" reasons. ;) Lots of shrapnel to be found here.

I'm looking forward to how the City will deal with Weaslehead munitions cleanup with the potential ring road development. SShhhhhhh......

Jts1, I can imagine the feeling, at least you knew of the potential for bombs.

During preparation for the filming of Passiondale on the reserve, I drove through the set for the war scenes in the burned out forest. There was a guy with a 3' auger drilling holes to plant the dead trees. All the rest of the crew were watching him from 1/2 mile away. I stopped to talk with him, and mentioned how brave I felt he was. His confused expression led me to explain to him that this location was a former air drop target, and there still are many BIG bombs that have been left underground.

I imagine his immediate smoke break included some thought time as to WhyTheF no one told him....

DarkAisling
07-05-2010, 12:09 PM
My father is a retired explosives, demolitions, and mine warfare expert. Undetonated things that go "BOOM!" turn up in the darnedest places. While there are certainly places where the risk of coming across them and the concentration is higher . . . they really could be pretty much anywhere.

crown royal 17
07-05-2010, 01:06 PM
I know that the Alberta sportfishing regulations do apply to everyone fishing on First Nations reserves including First Nations members.You usually can get permission from the First Nation office buy letting them know you will leave the area in the same condition as before you use it ie:garbage etc.
This is my info regarding fishing on First Nation reserves.

River Ridge Bob
07-05-2010, 07:19 PM

What ever happend to the use of the word Indian. What is with all this Nation crap? There is absolutly nothing wrong with the use of the word Indian. The word Indian is in our constitution. Also have you ever heard of the Indian Land Act. The use of the word Indian is perfectly accetable. This political correct BS is starting to get out of hand. Call thing what they are.

DarkAisling
07-05-2010, 07:25 PM
The use of the word Indian is perfectly accetable. This political correct BS is starting to get out of hand. Call thing what they are.

If someone says "Indian" I personally think of someone from . . . wait for it . . . India.

But then, Calgary has a very high Indian population.

foxracing_23
07-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Go ahead, fish the sh** out of it, might as well throw a net in there too

walking buffalo
07-05-2010, 08:00 PM
What ever happend to the use of the word Indian. What is with all this Nation crap? There is absolutly nothing wrong with the use of the word Indian. The word Indian is in our constitution. Also have you ever heard of the Indian Land Act. The use of the word Indian is perfectly accetable. This political correct BS is starting to get out of hand. Call thing what they are.

No BS in my words Bob.

I was talking about the land, as it is Legally and locally described, Tsuu T'ina Nation land.

And your right about the use of the word Indian. It is perfectly acceptable. In my experiences, only in legalese do I hear Indians call themselves Aboriginal. Native is usually only used in specific context as well.

All the North American Indians I know will proudly say they are an Indian.

S.A.S
07-06-2010, 03:16 AM
If someone says "Indian" I personally think of someone from . . . wait for it . . . India.

But then, Calgary has a very high Indian population.

Do you do this just to be a Jack arische?

DarkAisling
07-06-2010, 06:33 AM
Do you do this just to be a Jack arische?

No . . . I do it because I routinely say things like "Let's order in some Indian tonight," "I have to run by one of the Indian fabric stores to get some silk," "We've got a new Indian programmer at work," "Hey Carey, can you help that Indian gentleman over there find the floor he needs?" . . . I am not making references to North American Indians, and to refer to two distinct and different cultural groups with the term "Indian" results in nothing but confusion.

Calgaryguy1977
07-06-2010, 06:40 AM
How can you tell if someone is from india or pakistan? Cause calling a pakistani indian is probably offensive too...lol.

What's funny is when I made this thread I somehow figured it was going to go on to something like this. Although that's not what I intended.

DarkAisling
07-06-2010, 07:52 AM
How can you tell if someone is from india or pakistan? Cause calling a pakistani indian is probably offensive too...lol.

What's funny is when I made this thread I somehow figured it was going to go on to something like this. Although that's not what I intended.

:lol: A new and unexpected kind of sideways. :D

Honestly, I really don't care if I offend a Pakistani by calling him/her Indian. The offended individual is free to offer a correction . . . much the same way I have had to correct a couple of individuals who mistook me for (*gasp*) a U.S. American, or (even more appalling!) the time I was referred to as an Englishwoman (which was almost enough to stop my first generation Scottish-Canadian heart from beating).

jts1
07-06-2010, 09:08 AM
:lol: A new and unexpected kind of sideways. :D

Honestly, I really don't care if I offend a Pakistani by calling him/her Indian. The offended individual is free to offer a correction . . . much the same way I have had to correct a couple of individuals who mistook me for (*gasp*) a U.S. American, or (even more appalling!) the time I was referred to as an Englishwoman (which was almost enough to stop my first generation Scottish-Canadian heart from beating).

No worries Dark you are just a girl. :fighting0030:

River Ridge Bob
07-06-2010, 01:50 PM
No BS in my words Bob.

I was talking about the land, as it is Legally and locally described, Tsuu T'ina Nation land.

And your right about the use of the word Indian. It is perfectly acceptable. In my experiences, only in legalese do I hear Indians call themselves Aboriginal. Native is usually only used in specific context as well.

All the North American Indians I know will proudly say they are an Indian.

Are you sure it is not legally discribed as Tsuu T'ina Indian Reservation.

jts1
07-06-2010, 01:55 PM
native , green , yellow red who cares. There is 2 kinds of peeps on this planet. Your an A HOLE or your NOT... Simple

Jack&7
07-06-2010, 03:09 PM
native , green , yellow red who cares. There is 2 kinds of peeps on this planet. Your an A HOLE or your NOT... Simple

Ok...that's two funny things you've said recently!

The first was 'hoe operator'. Back in Manitoba, that was what we called a pimp! heh heh.

Sorry...just had to throw that one out there. It brought back a funny memory for me.

billyblastoff
07-07-2010, 12:01 AM
The usual replies on a thread mentioning anything like this.

Fishingnutter
07-07-2010, 11:44 AM
... so the moral of this thread is; careful where you tread as you may get blowed up real good!

DarkAisling
07-07-2010, 12:45 PM
... so the moral of this thread is; careful where you tread as you may get blowed up real good!

Intentionally or otherwise.

:sign0068:

Fishingnutter
07-08-2010, 08:39 AM
Intentionally or otherwise.

:sign0068:

exactly