PDA

View Full Version : Hector Lake- Banff Area

Sir. Kenneth
07-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Anybody ever fished this lake before? Having trouble finding exactly where it is? looks like its off hwy 93? I have heard really good things about it, was hoping to get out in the U boat one of these days if i could find some decent directions?

jts1
07-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Hey big guy. Long time no talk. Have you got your key for the pond yet? I have had a few nice ones out of there this year allready. Are you talking about Chief Hector? If I am free when you head out I will tag along. If Im busy you can scoop the pontoon from me and use it. Just moved into Luxstone so still not far

JimPS
07-05-2010, 03:40 PM
It's north of Lake Louise along Highway 93 just south of the Mosquito Creek Hostel/Campground. It's a fairly large lake and you can see it from the highway.
The trail head is not very well marked. It starts at the north end of a highway guardrail about parallel to the lake.
I would not recommend you go there until the runoff finishes. You have to wade the Bow River and it can get tricky this time of the year - especially late in the day. People have died trying to get there during high water. Fishing can be OK if you know where to fish and what to use. A float tube would be help full to fish some areas.
Anybody tried Margaret or Turquoise lakes up above Hector recently?

Cheers

Jim

Sundancefisher
07-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Anybody ever fished this lake before? Having trouble finding exactly where it is? looks like its off hwy 93? I have heard really good things about it, was hoping to get out in the U boat one of these days if i could find some decent directions?

This lake while stocked is managed by the First Nations there. As such it is managed extremely poorly. While a nice lake they usually let it winter kill every year. As such not many fish worth catching.

I have not heard any good reports this year.

Please report back what you find. It is a pretty place to fish...especially the West end.

JimPS
07-05-2010, 03:46 PM
This lake while stocked is managed by the First Nations there. As such it is managed extremely poorly. While a nice lake they usually let it winter kill every year. As such not many fish worth catching.

Please report back what you find. It is a pretty place to fish...especially the West end.

He's asking about Hector Lake in Banff Park not the lake beside 1A highway on the Rez - some would say the Hector Lake in the Park is also managed poorly too!

Cheers

Jim

jts1
07-05-2010, 03:53 PM

Not the case anymore New management They have installed a new aerator system as of last year and the fish no longer winter kill. I have been there this year and seen some MONSTER rainbows. They still charge 25.00 a day to fish it but Thats worth it to me If it allows me to be the only one on the water

Sundancefisher
07-05-2010, 04:23 PM
Not the case anymore New management They have installed a new aerator system as of last year and the fish no longer winter kill. I have been there this year and seen some MONSTER rainbows. They still charge 25.00 a day to fish it but Thats worth it to me If it allows me to be the only one on the water

see any travelling sedge yet?

Scott N
07-05-2010, 04:25 PM
see any travelling sedge yet?

I saw some on another lake in Kananaskis on Thursday and Sunday last week.

Sir. Kenneth
07-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Hey big guy. Long time no talk. Have you got your key for the pond yet? I have had a few nice ones out of there this year allready. Are you talking about Chief Hector? If I am free when you head out I will tag along. If Im busy you can scoop the pontoon from me and use it. Just moved into Luxstone so still not far

Hey Bud,

Yeah we got our keys the night before the derby :) was surprised i didn't see you there? I thought i'd run into you. Haven't really had much of a chance to get out and fish it since though. Been really busy.

No its not cheif hector, i did some more research its actually a private catch and release stocked pond right by the nakoda lodge. $25 a day to fish it. I think i might give it a go one day soon though sounds like a lot of fun! I'll let you know in advance when im heading up.

K

jts1
07-06-2010, 08:18 AM
Hey Bud,

Yeah we got our keys the night before the derby :) was surprised i didn't see you there? I thought i'd run into you. Haven't really had much of a chance to get out and fish it since though. Been really busy.

No its not cheif hector, i did some more research its actually a private catch and release stocked pond right by the nakoda lodge. $25 a day to fish it. I think i might give it a go one day soon though sounds like a lot of fun! I'll let you know in advance when im heading up.

K

Thats the place I was talking about it has some nice rainbows in there. I have fished it more than a few times. I love it because I can go there and be the only guy on the water. You bet I will go with ya. Let me know when.

JimPS
07-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Hey Bud,

K

So Sir Kenneth,
You're not interested in Hector Lake in Banff near Lake Louise but Hector Lake on the Rez beside 1A Highway?
Cheers
Jim

Sir. Kenneth
07-07-2010, 02:16 PM
So Sir Kenneth,
You're not interested in Hector Lake in Banff near Lake Louise but Hector Lake on the Rez beside 1A Highway?
Cheers
Jim

Hey either or I love to fish what can i say? LOL but not for this Trip, that Hector Lake off the 1A is probably only about 45 mins from my house so i think i'll giver a go :)