PDA

View Full Version : wall tent water proofing

lead chucker
07-05-2010, 08:30 PM
hey guys.
Im looking for a good water proofing spray or compound for the roof of a canvis wall tent :)

sheepguide
07-05-2010, 09:41 PM
We wax the seams if we feel they need it and treat the canvas with Thompson Water seal. You can buy the aresol cans or the bigger jugs and use a weed sprayer or electric paint spayer.
Just be sure to do it with the fabric hot and leave it for a while to get rid of the fumes.
SG

Rockymtnx
07-05-2010, 09:49 PM
I use to use this product.... http://www.fcsurplus.ca/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=15688
You can buy it at Wholesale Sports, Canadian Tire, and Home Hardware. Just like SG said use a spraying device to apply and make sure to do it on a hot sunny day.

big zeke
07-06-2010, 05:36 AM
I use the same stuff (World Famous) and apply it with a weed sprayer every 2-3 years. Not too sure how long it lasts but I'd rather overapply than be wet. 2 coats on the top and one on the walls. The stuff does stink so either leave it to bake in the sun or use some fans to move the air around if applying it in the garage. Once the tent it set up the stink drops off quickly.

If using a sprayer, make sure you rinse it out well, this stuff dries like glue and pretty much will destory a sprayer if left. I usually rinse with old varsol or rubbing alcohol if I have any, it doesn't take much.

Zeke

fish_e_o
07-06-2010, 08:44 AM
i put sno-seal on my boots and it's amazing i wouldn't hesitate to try it on a tent
http://www.atsko.com/products/waterproofing/sno-seal.html

TheClash
07-06-2010, 09:05 AM
We wax the seams if we feel they need it and treat the canvas with Thompson Water seal. You can buy the aresol cans or the bigger jugs and use a weed sprayer or electric paint spayer.
Just be sure to do it with the fabric hot and leave it for a while to get rid of the fumes.
SG

bingo!!

Pwhitehead
07-06-2010, 02:46 PM
bingo!!
If your canvas roof is not leaking now, why waterproof it at all? Providing the canvas is a pre shrunk marine grade it shouldn't leak unless you start touching the inside of the roof during a rain. All good canvas tents will leak initially during a first rain but should seal up, including the double overlap seams after the first exposure to rain or a garden hose.
A caution in applying sealants; the canvas is designed to repel water and at the same time breath by allowing moisture or vapour to permeate or escape out through the fabric. The cotton filament is woven tight enough that the water is not viscous enough to leak through the pores, but will allow the water vapour (1pt per human every 6-8 hrs) to permeate back out through the weave pores.
If you coat the exterior to seal it you may find the breathing feature of the fabric is eliminated. The result will be cold clammy and damp interior in the mornings (providing your have used a non permeable floor) all because the fabric pores between the weave are plugged with the sealant and the fabric cannot breath.

Phil Whitehead

TheClash
07-06-2010, 02:57 PM
good to know phil...i was assuming his was already leaking.....great info.

whitetailsheds
07-06-2010, 02:57 PM
I use a tarp. Been in a couple of wall tents that were "waterproof". Not any fun in the middle of the nite.

lead chucker
07-08-2010, 09:31 PM
thanks for the help guys,:cheers:

Almer Fudd
07-08-2010, 11:30 PM
2x on the Thomson water seal.
I set it up in the back yard on a hot day and use a paint brush to apply it.
It's kept my tent dry for the past 25 years and still looks good.