PDA

View Full Version : Floating line into sinking line

fredieC
07-07-2010, 12:01 AM
HI everyone, i need some help, i am going for fishing in maligne lake in jasper, i have read that sinking line works well for this lake , unfortunately i only have a floating line right now and my trip is up next day, is there any way i can turn this line into sinking line by adding long leader or using sinkers , pls help.. what will be the best option, thank you all...

MK2750
07-07-2010, 12:12 AM
Lake type sinking line sinks evenly along the whole lenght so you are able to set the hook as the line is straight. When you sink the end of floating line you create a right angle making the set difficult with the slack line. It also makes for an unnatural presentation of leeches etc.

The sink tip line is to allow you to get a natural drift on moving water by rolling the floating part of the line up the current so it does not pull on the fly.

True sinking line for the lake is an investment you will not regret as it often produces when nothing else will. Because it is generally trolled, you can buy a cheaper line and still get results. CT and alike have lines that start at $20 and again are well worth the investment.

fredieC
07-07-2010, 12:21 AM
Thank you very muck MK 2750 for your reply i guess i better stick to my spinning rod and spoon this time and invest into a good sinking line.. once agian your information was very help full, i totally miss the point that it wont work in making a better presentation to the fish... u have a good day...
freds...

Rick.
07-07-2010, 12:30 AM
Take your fly rod and floating line!! Full sink, intermediate sink and sink tip have their advantages for certain but you will still have lots of success with a floating line. Just use some split shot on a bit longer tippet and a strike indicator. Use bead heads or other weighted flies as well. I do it all the time and if your trolling you can leave the indicator off, just try to keep your line straight as you can. Have a great trip. Rick.

fredieC
07-07-2010, 12:49 AM
Take your fly rod and floating line!! Full sink, intermediate sink and sink tip have their advantages for certain but you will still have lots of success with a floating line. Just use some split shot on a bit longer tippet and a strike indicator. Use bead heads or other weighted flies as well. I do it all the time and if your trolling you can leave the indicator off, just try to keep your line straight as you can. Have a great trip. Rick.

hey thanks rick for the reply... i will try what u said hope catch some big ones..:sHa_shakeshout: any way u take care and i guess have to spend some money on good sinking line..
thank you..
fredieC

Kingfisher
07-07-2010, 01:11 AM
Fredie you can always add in a sinking tip to your dry line. Does your dry line have a loop at the end? If it does you can purchase a seperate sink tip and just loop it onto your dry line. If you don't have a loop at the end of your line you can use a nail knot to tie on a section of leader material.

This will take your fly down. Rio is only one of the companies that makes several different sink tips.

Here is a blurb from the Rio site.
Freshwater VersiLeaders

7 ft (2.1 m) and 12 ft (3.7 m) sinking leaders with a high tenacity nylon core coated with a super low modulus tungsten polymer mixture. VersiLeaders feature an ultra smooth welded loop in the butt end making it easy to connect to the fly line.
http://www.rioproducts.com/photos/product/large/13f902fcf4c9be93a147a39f3b24e1b.jpg

Check with places like Fishtales, WSP or The Fish'n Hole. They will all carry sink tips.

Now having said all that. If you end up just bringing your spinning rod then use flies and just put a split shot 18 to 24" above the fly. This will take your fly down sufficiently to get it into the zone.

As for patterns to use there. I'd start with Leech patterns in black, red or green. Streamer minnow patterns will also work well there.

Have a great time. We expect a full report when you get back. Maligne is on my to do list again this season for sure. Beautiful place, and strong, hungry, feisty fish are always a good combination.

Rob

sheephunter
07-07-2010, 01:13 AM
Don't forget your splitshot needs to be made from a non-toxic material....no lead! Good Luck......