PDA

View Full Version : Saskatchewan Hunting

Slash8
07-07-2010, 11:52 AM
I am looking fo information as to the legal requirements to hunt in Southern portion of Saskatchewan. A fella that I work was generous enough to grant me permission on about 2300 acres but I am not sure of the Non -Resident Canadian Requirements. I would apreciate any first hand experience on information from any one that has hunted in our eastern neighbors yard so to speak.

sheephunter
07-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Not much involved to go whitetail hunting. Here's your best bet for information.

http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/Default.aspx?DN=e00dfebd-b604-4bfa-ad57-d45ad5d47b1f

Slash8
07-07-2010, 12:02 PM
Thanks sheephunter!

timba
07-07-2010, 12:05 PM
I think for whitetails we have to be in the northern part of the province.

timba

sheephunter
07-07-2010, 12:06 PM
I think for whitetails we have to be in the northern part of the province.

timba

Nope, that only applies to NR aliens.

timba
07-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Nope, that only applies to NR aliens.

I guess I should read the rules a little better there.I just assumbed we had to stay north,my dad has 15 quaters in southern sask and I never thought I could hunt there.

timba

Okotokian
07-07-2010, 04:41 PM
I guess I should read the rules a little better there.I just assumbed we had to stay north,my dad has 15 quaters in southern sask and I never thought I could hunt there.

timba

wow, what a waste... well at least you know now, and I expect you will be there this fall.... 15 quarters... nice. Do you think you can get permission? LOL

timba
07-07-2010, 04:44 PM
wow, what a waste... well at least you know now, and I expect you will be there this fall.... 15 quarters... nice. Do you think you can get permission? LOL

LOL I hope so,I think its mostly mullys there.I wish I could just get him to keep a bait running there for me :( I also have a uncle that has 50 or 60 quaters around there too. :)

Okotokian
07-07-2010, 04:45 PM
LOL I hope so,I think its mostly mullys there.I wish I could just get him to keep a bait running there for me :( I also have a uncle that has 50 or 60 quaters around there too. :)

WOW... we all want to get to know you now! LOL

ishootbambi
07-07-2010, 08:56 PM
trophy quality is most of southern saskatchewan isnt that great. the southeast corner is ok, but from the middle toward the west you have a tough time finding a whitey over 150. in provost, you only need to drive about 20 minutes to have some decent hunting timba and you can sleep at home every night. but im pretty sure you already know that. :)

marlin1
07-07-2010, 10:38 PM
so a quick look at the regs tells me I couldn't hunt elk in sask. as an Alberta resident?

ishootbambi
07-07-2010, 10:43 PM
correct. whitetails and black bears only unless you pay a hunt farm....then its anything from elk to bighorn sheep. a 200 plus ram was killed (but not hunted) there last year. some indian reservations can offer some indigenous wild species as well.

marlin1
07-07-2010, 10:48 PM
good to know, I was invited to hunt elk out there but I guess the guy didn't know I couldn't as an Albertan . I'm hoping for my cow draw here anyways , thanks for the info, ishootbambi, by the way my daughter was reading over my shoulder the other day and I think she dislikes your handle :) by the look she gave me anyways

ishootbambi
07-07-2010, 10:54 PM
oops...sorry! :)

marlin1
07-07-2010, 11:02 PM
no problem , I kind of like it myself:lol:

timba
07-08-2010, 07:16 AM
trophy quality is most of southern saskatchewan isnt that great. the southeast corner is ok, but from the middle toward the west you have a tough time finding a whitey over 150. in provost, you only need to drive about 20 minutes to have some decent hunting timba and you can sleep at home every night. but im pretty sure you already know that. :)

YOur right about the having a hard time finding a good WT down there,I grew up down there hunting and never got a good one.I can't comeplain about the hunting around here and its nice to be close to home.

timba

nube
07-08-2010, 08:00 AM

A BAIT!!!!! What. How could you do that? Give the poor deer a chance.
:sHa_shakeshout:
I just had to say it.lol

That is a lot of land to hunt. lucky sucker.

88outdoors
07-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Stay more.north south deer are lucky to get 140ish. They don't get the coulee concept like mules and stick to small bluffs and blasted before they live longer then 3 years

GooseSlammer
07-13-2010, 12:49 PM
Hey Guys,

Just killing a few minutes over lunch, dreaming about hunting, and thought I'd pipe in for a second on this one.

I hunted just East of Regina a few years back, and we saw 3 shooters a day. I know everyone's definition of "shooter" is different, but I would say 145" plus. Saw a couple of pretty nice ones, and one cranker that had me so fired up I couldn't load my gun! I dropped my buddy off on one end of some trees that I was gonna push for him, drove around the other side, and there he was 30 yards away - with his nose right up his little doe's butt! I can't say exactly how big he was, but he must have been around 170 or so. Long story short, Buck Fever took over and I stumbled out of the truck and watched in disbelief as he stood there and my hands shook uncontrollably as I tried to get a shell in! More time than I will ever get again for a cranker like that, and I completely blew it! :(

Either way - I say the deer are there. But given the terrain, some of 'em are runnin! :scared0018:

buckbrushoutdoors
07-13-2010, 12:58 PM
I grew up in south central sask on the banks of lake diefenbaker and there are lots of big whitetails down along the river breaks.My dads killed lots of bucks over 150 in the hills.I killed my first at age 12 down there and we seen some hogs but 90% where running shots and at 12 I wasnt able to do that stuff. My uncles ranch on the lake has a wall on the side of the barn and the smallest buck is about 130 and the biggest is well over 180 Lots of big elk and and mulies as well! not to mention some of the greatest pheasnt hunting in the province

thebuckshow
07-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Hey Slash, whereabouts are you going to be hunting? I'm heading back around home (south-east sask) for the whitey hunt as well. You could PM me too, as I also have a %&$* load of land to hunt as my step dad farms, and owns a lot of land, and got me and my brother permission on nearly every farmers land for miles in all directions.

Also, I'm not sure who is defining "trophies" around here but where I come from (Weyburn, SK), there are plenty of 150-160+ deer taken every year. I have a lot of buddies who hunt, and a lot of there dad's, and uncles, and grandpa's and I have seen a lot of trophy rooms, and beleive me, there are some damn fine deer down in south east sask anyways.