PDA

View Full Version : weedless hooks ,do they work?

howlin
07-07-2010, 05:46 PM
just wondering as i dont know anyone who uses them.

WayneChristie
07-07-2010, 06:55 PM
Tried the weedless trebles last summer. took them off again. they might not get hooked up in the weeds quite as bad, but they dont get hooked up in the fish as much either If you are pike fishing go to spinnerbaits instead

howlin
07-07-2010, 08:48 PM
ya sorta what i thought ,thanks man

great white whaler
07-07-2010, 10:45 PM
ya sorta what i thought ,thanks man

junk,,get rid of the treble ,use a single..just sayin.:acigar:

floppychicken
07-08-2010, 02:27 AM
I have some 'weird' 'single' hooks from Europe that have this piece of 'looped wire' that is welded from the top eye, down to the curve in the shaft. The wire is 'stainless spring steel' and applies pressure to the 'inside' of the barb. They Work REALLY well when you have a barb, but not near as well without one. Hooks are also stainless and unbelievably hard, but nonetheless, somewhat useless since no 'barbs' allowed.... I gave most of em' away to a buddy for fishing elsewhere. I must have had about 500 of them in a small plastic tool box.

Either way, I use the same 'sorta' hook with single hook 'JIG LURES' and they are indeed, VERY weed-less. Texas rig with a soft plastic and it works even better....

cheers,

Geezle
07-08-2010, 06:21 AM
I have some 'weird' 'single' hooks from Europe that have this piece of 'looped wire' that is welded from the top eye, down to the curve in the shaft. The wire is 'stainless spring steel' and applies pressure to the 'inside' of the barb. They Work REALLY well when you have a barb, but not near as well without one. Hooks are also stainless and unbelievably hard, but nonetheless, somewhat useless since no 'barbs' allowed.... I gave most of em' away to a buddy for fishing elsewhere. I must have had about 500 of them in a small plastic tool box.

Either way, I use the same 'sorta' hook with single hook 'JIG LURES' and they are indeed, VERY weed-less. Texas rig with a soft plastic and it works even better....

cheers,

What you're describing sounds sorta like a Silver Minnow?
http://image.basspro.com/images/images2/53000/53077bcd.jpg

WayneChristie
07-08-2010, 06:28 AM
junk,,get rid of the treble ,use a single..just sayin.:acigar:

to each his own . just sayin

aulrich
07-08-2010, 08:53 AM
I have used the single weedless like above before I have cought some fish on them but not many the ones I have tried have odd actions to them. Typically in the lake I do my pike fishing when the weeds get bad we move deeper. But there is a big difference between Northern Saskatchewan lake and a Southern Alberta res.

Spinner baits are another solid option, as are soft plastics you can texas rig.

Another intresting thin gI saw on in-fisherman but have not tried was a big weedless bass jig and a massive swimmbait tail.

TexasTornado
07-08-2010, 10:09 AM
I think they do but me and a buddy devised a plan, one of us throws a spoon or whatever without hooks, leaders or anything that can snag and when pike grab it you naturally cant hook them but you can get them close to the boat cause they continue to follow usually and then the other guy drops a lure with hooks over the side of the boat does a couple figure 8's and you usually get them everytime. Its just a tactic i like to do when fishing with a partner to get pike out of the weeds.

Cal
07-08-2010, 11:00 AM
I think they do but me and a buddy devised a plan, one of us throws a spoon or whatever without hooks, leaders or anything that can snag and when pike grab it you naturally cant hook them but you can get them close to the boat cause they continue to follow usually and then the other guy drops a lure with hooks over the side of the boat does a couple figure 8's and you usually get them everytime. Its just a tactic i like to do when fishing with a partner to get pike out of the weeds.

Not trying to be an ass but to me it sounds like you've spent more time thinking about this tactic than actualy trying it. I find a pretty low pecentage of followers are caught using the figure 8 method due to a number of factors including them spooking, not being able to make the sharp turns in the figure 8, and the dificulty that comes with trying to hook and fight a hot fish on 18" of line. I've caught some nice fish using the figure 8 when they are following but to base a whole day on that tactic seems like it would be an interesting fish watching expedition with few fish actualy being caught. But I've been wrong befor.

As for weedless hooks I find most weedless lures are terrible at hooking fish. The best are spinnerbaits followed by weedless jig heads and texas rigged plastics like others have said. If its at all possible I often find it better to use a lure that will go over top of the weeds rather than to try and fish right down in them with a weedless setup.

TexasTornado
07-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Not trying to be an ass but to me it sounds like you've spent more time thinking about this tactic than actualy trying it. I find a pretty low pecentage of followers are caught using the figure 8 method due to a number of factors including them spooking, not being able to make the sharp turns in the figure 8, and the dificulty that comes with trying to hook and fight a hot fish on 18" of line. I've caught some nice fish using the figure 8 when they are following but to base a whole day on that tactic seems like it would be an interesting fish watching expedition with few fish actualy being caught. But I've been wrong befor.

As for weedless hooks I find most weedless lures are terrible at hooking fish. The best are spinnerbaits followed by weedless jig heads and texas rigged plastics like others have said. If its at all possible I often find it better to use a lure that will go over top of the weeds rather than to try and fish right down in them with a weedless setup.

Try it, and it's more like 36" - 48" of line. Don't be scared to back off the drag after hook set.

WayneChristie
07-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Instead of fancy figures, I will have a second rod rigged with a storm wildeye ready, and if the fish dont hit the spoon, pull it out and drop the wildeye and jig it. the pike will usually hit that most of the time