PDA

View Full Version : First Time Lake Trout - Gear Tips Please

BigIrv
07-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Heading up to Pierce Lake in Meadow Lake Provincial Park on the 17th.
Thought I would try fishing for some lakers, but I have absolutley no idea what to do. I have gotten a couple tips from previous posts on here.

What can anyone recommend for simple effective gear to start out with?

I know the lodge store will be able to point out some spots. I don't have down riggers but would still like some ideas.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Tight Lines Boys!

skidderman
07-08-2010, 09:12 PM
I would try to use a 2 to 3 ounce weight approx 10 feet ahead of a silver and gold williams wobbler. You can get them in clear or speckled, I usually use the clear ones. You want I suspect to be down about 50 or 60 feet and try to troll approx 2.5 to 3 kms an hour. If you have a fishfinder you will see a solid black line across the screen and that is the thermocline. You want to have your lure just above or below that line, that is in my experience anyway.
I don't use them but I'm told five of diamonds work well. Good luck and let us know hou you make out. One last tip; don't be afraid to talk to the locals. They are usually quite helpful.

bobalong
07-08-2010, 10:04 PM
I would pick up a dipsy diver, or pink lady, these will get your lures down to the 50-60 ft range. There are approx dive depths on the back of the packages that will give you an idea how deep the lures run with different lenths of line out.There are three or four sizes, having different dive depths. Also pick up some small flashers, and some ruby eye wigglers, and various other spoons, I would vary the design and shape more than the color. As mentioned in the other post the williams wobblers are also very effective spoons. If you do not have a line counter reel, I would pick one up ($60-$80) these will tell you how much line is out, not necessarily the depth, but when you hit fish, you just let the same amount of line again and you should be in the zone as long as you maintain the same trolling speed.
Although spoons work well, I have had more luck pulling anchovie rigs, but each lake can be different. Good Luck

Rick.
07-08-2010, 10:26 PM
I would also vote for the Dipsy Diver idea. If you use them you need a stout rod (at least medium) and I would not go less than twenty pound test on your line counter reel. I like spoons of all sorts but have had good luck with the Apex (hockey sticks) lures as well in larger sizes. Man I wish I was coming. Have a blast. Rick.

BigIrv
07-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Great now I have a shopping list and a couple of simple techniques.
Hopefully we can get a couple of lakers for my son and I!
If not the jack are always biting somewhere.

I will post pics/update after our trip.

Thanks guys!

TexasTornado
07-09-2010, 07:58 AM
Get at least a 8' Shimano Talora M or similar trolling rod, they work great for trolling Dipsy's and Pink Ladies etc.

Lucky Strike Half Waves and Bondy Bait's work best for me.

nicemustang
07-09-2010, 09:06 AM
X2 on the dipsy's. I love those things, poor mans down rigger with just as good as success with some practice. I also like to use a Jensen dodger with a jensen flash fly behind a 4 oz weight (20') or the dipsy.