PDA

View Full Version : Summer coyote hunting ethical ?

wolfkiller
07-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Seen a thread about coyote hunting and it seems some people think coyotes only eat mice and gophers in the summer, wonder where did they learn this. Get outdoors and spend some time people. My coyote hunting success in the summer months doesnt drop off 75% like some people claim. If you know how to call and what your doing, the summer months can be more productive than winter. I wont get into any of the proven data on coyote mortality rates and what is needed to drop coyote numbers beyond a sustainable level, but one thing for sure is your not going to make the coyote extinct by shooting them in the summer, pups or no pups. Pretty much everyone here is a whitetail fanatic, so do your deer herd a helpful boost by getting out and shooting some coyotes. My pictures will maybe inspire you to not think so highly of the cute and cuddly coyote. If twin fawns with mature does are rare sights, and instead you see one fawn for every two or more does, it might mean coyotes or other predators are devouring much of the "fawn crop" each summer. That's because scientific research shows coyote predation on fawns kill more deer than herds can replace in some areas.Coyote impacts vary, however, depending on their population, their habitat and food options and the deer herd's size.Coyote predation is as natural as human predation on deer. And, as such, it's not necessarily a bad thing when deer herds are at or exceeding habitat limits; after all, when deer herds overpopulate they can be destructive to ecosystems. It is time to pay attention, however, if deer herds crash in your local area. Thats my two cents.

hillbillyreefer
07-08-2010, 10:36 PM
I pasted one 50 yds from my kids playground yesterday. Didn't bother me in the slightest.

berjerkin
07-08-2010, 11:02 PM
the only good coyote is a dead coyote. :)

Sneeze
07-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Coyote pup headrests would be sweet in the duramax.

crawfy
07-08-2010, 11:26 PM
to answer your question absolutly not

IR_mike
07-08-2010, 11:29 PM
I've thrown lead at them on religious holidays and once on the way to a wedding. :character0110: :oregonian_winesmile

ishootbambi
07-09-2010, 12:24 AM
only once i couldnt shoot one. shot its mom and it cried at me......so my buddy whacked it!

Banger
07-09-2010, 07:57 AM

Agreed. Open season all year as far as im concerned. I sure dont think twice about pulling the trigger on one of those little buggers in the summer time.

Popcan
07-09-2010, 09:00 AM
:party0052:

aulrich
07-09-2010, 09:19 AM
My preference is to shoot them when thier fur is prime and try to get something out of it, but that is just me and to be honest I have left some lay over the years.

A balanced predator / prey population is good for the whole chain, but that means in general hunting predators is required at least for the "settled" parts of the world.

wolfkiller
07-09-2010, 09:36 AM
A coyote is always in its prime when i see it, well that is until my gun goes BOOM. I just posted the coyote with fawn in its mouth to show some of these arm chair biologists on here that coyotes dont eat just mice and gophers, and for the people who ranted and raved on the guy who said he harvests coyotes in the summer, yet they will be the ones spending hours in the field to harvest a deer this fall. Seem likes so many ppl on here know everything, that is until they open there mouth and remove all doubt that they are idiots. Let the bashing begin.

Stinky Coyote
07-09-2010, 10:14 AM
i have pasted pups on canada day...no problems here :)

fish_e_o
07-09-2010, 10:21 AM
i have shot so many coyotes that they wont come within a half mile of the house now and i haven't educated any of them. i leave the bodies on the fence line as a warning.

i think it's time to get a hardcore sniper rifle so i can get them out to a mile or something crazy like that.

The cooter
07-09-2010, 10:40 AM
I have never shot a yote in the summer. But having said that I do try to get out once a week in the winter. As for the ethical part of the question, I don't see why not farmers and acreage folk seem to be hassled by them all the time. Dogs barking late at night, Sheep and other livestock be disrupted or worse. I would agree that a balance of predator and prey is best. The population of said region would be the best indicator. I never have looked down or been upset with someone who does shoot in the summer. I just don't do it myself. Happy hunting! Cooter.

yamaha 1
07-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Agreed. Open season all year as far as im concerned. I sure dont think twice about pulling the trigger on one of those little buggers in the summer time.

x2 I realy never hunted the rats in the summer ....too much time spent at the lake drinking cold beer:cheers::burp:,but if I have the chance I would hunt them all year round, there is way too many yotes around here.

40inchtwister
07-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Coyote pup headrests would be sweet in the duramax.

thats awsome

rhuntley12
07-09-2010, 11:32 AM
Funny that the woman just messages me and said, crazy coyotes howling all over the place at almost noon.

Heard someones cat get it the other day.

Stinky Coyote
07-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Seen a thread about coyote hunting and it seems some people think coyotes only eat mice and gophers in the summer, wonder where did they learn this. Get outdoors and spend some time people. My coyote hunting success in the summer months doesnt drop off 75% like some people claim. If you know how to call and what your doing, the summer months can be more productive than winter. I wont get into any of the proven data on coyote mortality rates and what is needed to drop coyote numbers beyond a sustainable level, but one thing for sure is your not going to make the coyote extinct by shooting them in the summer, pups or no pups. Pretty much everyone here is a whitetail fanatic, so do your deer herd a helpful boost by getting out and shooting some coyotes. My pictures will maybe inspire you to not think so highly of the cute and cuddly coyote. If twin fawns with mature does are rare sights, and instead you see one fawn for every two or more does, it might mean coyotes or other predators are devouring much of the "fawn crop" each summer. That's because scientific research shows coyote predation on fawns kill more deer than herds can replace in some areas.Coyote impacts vary, however, depending on their population, their habitat and food options and the deer herd's size.Coyote predation is as natural as human predation on deer. And, as such, it's not necessarily a bad thing when deer herds are at or exceeding habitat limits; after all, when deer herds overpopulate they can be destructive to ecosystems. It is time to pay attention, however, if deer herds crash in your local area. Thats my two cents.

someone will likely correct me but pretty sure i have it in my head from sources that coyotes get about 25% of the fawns each year...

buckbrushoutdoors
07-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Not only head rests for the Duramax but slippers for the ol' ladys birthday! Cute and Cozy hahah.... but serious yep kill'em all! :sHa_shakeshout:

Ken07AOVette
07-09-2010, 02:00 PM
I've thrown lead at them on religious holidays and once on the way to a wedding. :character0110: :oregonian_winesmile

OMFG THAT IS FUNNY!!!!!

:sHa_shakeshout:

I bwaaaaaahahahahahahaaa'd for a long time after that one.

greylynx
07-09-2010, 02:56 PM
To answer the question:

Absolutely 100 percent.

crawfy
07-09-2010, 04:04 PM
To answer the question:

Absolutely 100 percent.

agreed sorry about my first post I seem tohave missed the" WHY" in there. So Lets try that again " absoulutley WHY not". Them buggers get into everything they are opportunist, house cats, dogs rabbits Pheasant, and yes very hard on the fawn population I have even seen them lined up at our BFI bin in the winter waiting for the magpies to get in and drop a few scraps.

Sorry should finish reading before i hit send. :sign0161:

Pioneer2
07-10-2010, 07:39 AM
If you have to ask you're either baiting people to respond or are have second thoughts yourself.A pest is a pest 24 hrs a day 365 days a year.........JMO..Harold

graham1
07-10-2010, 08:44 AM
I don't go out deliberately hunting them. Hard to find the time. However we have a rule around here, if they're in range from the yard they're done. Doesn't matter what day it is. Rifle is by the door and the wife is happy to use it as well.
:fighting0021:

wolfkiller
07-10-2010, 11:54 AM
If you have to ask you're either baiting people to respond or are have second thoughts yourself.A pest is a pest 24 hrs a day 365 days a year.........JMO..Harold

You must not of read my initial post, i kill them 365 days a year, always pack iron. I posted pics of the coyote with a fawn in its mouth to show some of these idiots on here they dont eat just mice and gophers like they claim. Glad to hear everyone elses response and stories of shooting them on the way to weddings,etc. Love it.

wwbirds
07-10-2010, 12:36 PM
I don't think anyone can transfer their ethics to another person especially on this question. I watched one sneak across the field just south of my cattle shelter Wednesday morning and decided to test her to see if I could get in the house to grab the rifle. as soon as I opened barn door she was running. hearing the pups most every night around 11 as she takes them out hunting but for me I would just as soon wait until November to December when they are a serious threat to my bird operation. Right now they have more than enough food so won't try to get in pens.
Local farmer was having trouble with them a few years ago and located active den so I sat on side hill one day and shot everything that emerged including 3 pups. utilized them by taking them to a local taxidermist and convincing him they would make an interesting advertising mount for his "growing business" rather than me just waste them.
I hav3e no problem with anyone who takes them out 365 days a year as they are vermin. I just love hunting them in the winter when tyhe fur is prime so I can collect a bag of prime fur.
Rob

beansgunsghandi
07-10-2010, 02:00 PM
This isn't going to be a popular opinion on here, but you asked so: shooting coyotes (and gophers) is mostly just plain sick in my book, it doesn't matter what season. There are times where a coyote is threatening someone or something and deserves to get shot, but killing something just to kill it is weak.

A given ecosystem will (and yes, I am an armchair biologist, anyone who hunts is) will support a certain amount of anything. There will be pulses and crashes, but we can shoot deer and there are more next year because a system will support X deer roughly. So, most of the time, killing coyotes or gophers is at best a waste of time and at worst, well, sick and worse.

I don't want or expect agreement out of too many people here, but that's how I see it. If people would leave the coyotes alone (exceptions for ranchers with new calves or coyotes in urban areas etc) then the deer population wouldn't get too out of whack etc. etc.

I'll now go put my flame-proof suit on or just ignore this thread as I do most of 'em.

2fast4uRuss
07-10-2010, 02:13 PM
This isn't going to be a popular opinion on here, but you asked so: shooting coyotes (and gophers) is mostly just plain sick in my book, it doesn't matter what season. There are times where a coyote is threatening someone or something and deserves to get shot, but killing something just to kill it is weak.

A given ecosystem will (and yes, I am an armchair biologist, anyone who hunts is) will support a certain amount of anything. There will be pulses and crashes, but we can shoot deer and there are more next year because a system will support X deer roughly. So, most of the time, killing coyotes or gophers is at best a waste of time and at worst, well, sick and worse.

I don't want or expect agreement out of too many people here, but that's how I see it. If people would leave the coyotes alone (exceptions for ranchers with new calves or coyotes in urban areas etc) then the deer population wouldn't get too out of whack etc. etc.

I'll now go put my flame-proof suit on or just ignore this thread as I do most of 'em.

I think if you were to see how bad Coyote's and Gophers have become in certain areas of Alberta and Sask and the damage they have caused you would quickly change your opinion. Loose a few family pets or livestock to coyotes or have animals hurt crops and fields destroyed by gophers and you will quickly change to the kill them all opinion. Weather IMOP plays a bigger role in deer populations then predators as far as I am concerned.

IR_mike
07-10-2010, 02:17 PM

Fair enough

But seeings how both coyotes and whitetail deer where not present in the area of Alberta where I live till after european settlement altered the landscape improving it for both species by opening it up and cutting down the competition from the native species eg. wolf, elk ..how do we manage them?

EDIT Gophers as well...cant see them having been at the #s they presently are here in the southern boreal/ northern parkland transition zone.

eric2381
07-10-2010, 02:53 PM
I shoot gophers and coyotes any chance I get.

jaybull
07-10-2010, 03:10 PM

Carefull! These guys love killing stuff. Like pups for slippers and head rests. Gotta love the respect for wildlife on here sometimes. KILL EM ALL BOYS!!! Whatever you do don't let them kill whitetail fawns. Cuz we are running low on whitetails for sure! If you can justify killing things just to kill something, at least be honest and say i kill them cuz it's " fun " and i like killing them to amuse myself. Don't play the " i'm helping the deer herd BS with pics of a yote with bambis legs hanging in it's mouth to justify killing yotes. Maybe you should kill ravens all year to cuz they kill a lots of baby ducks and geese every spring? How about owls? kill them to. And don't forget wolfs. Wow they are really bad, they kill ELK!!!!! Killing yotes is not agaist the law so have at er. Just own the fact your doing it for your own " pleasure ". Just my 2 cents. Jay. Oh, if they are triing to kill your livestock i totaly understand killing them. Same goes for ground hogs. I was rasied on a farm and understand the problems they both cause. But i was also raised to eat everything i hunt, and to show respect towards all wildlife. Even the ones people love to hate.

209x50
07-10-2010, 04:28 PM
On my place they die year round. Haven't run out yet.

H380
07-10-2010, 05:26 PM

Yes ,Ihave to agree with you on letting just us ranchers with calves shoot yotes year round.. that make more of them for just me to shoot..as for it being a waste of time I can think of alot worse things one could do to occupy their time .. now if we could just take a poke at the occasional endangered grizzly that wanders thru the yard posing no apparent threat to anyone life would be good..:sHa_shakeshout:

jaybull
07-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Yes ,Ihave to agree with you on letting just us ranchers with calves shoot yotes year round.. that make more of them for just me to shoot..as for it being a waste of time I can think of alot worse things one could do to occupy their time .. now if we could just take a poke at the occasional endangered grizzly that wanders thru the yard posing no apparent threat to anyone life would be good..:sHa_shakeshout:

I hope your kidding? lol

moosehunter3-0
07-10-2010, 06:59 PM

I hunt and I dont pretend to be a biologist..... :lol:

H380
07-10-2010, 08:18 PM
I hope your kidding? lol

yes, I was kidding about the rancher part...:fighting0074:

Popcan
07-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Good point & observation jaybull, I happen to be one of the guys that hunt predators purely for sport… some of it is done on farmland in the summer months which is mostly a bonus for the ranchers. Although I was asked to take it easy on them this time of year because they help control the prairie dogs. Ya know I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed so I whish someone could spell out exactly what is wrong with hunting coyotes in the summer months. I’m guessing it’s because the pups will die a slow agonizing death by starving. Is there anything else or is that the main reason. That being said, I will not shoot pups or sleeping coyotes. Once again, HATS OFF to dogslayer403 who took down seven coyotes in one evening. World class predator hunting by any standard.

edarsenault20
07-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Had a yote trying to coax my Lab out into the shadows on the Base in Cold Lake a week ago. You could hear the pack yipping a few minutes later less than 100 ft from the PMQ. Good thing he's more interested in treats than strange dogs.

Stinky Coyote
07-11-2010, 10:38 AM

lol, everywhere i've seen its same story :)

only couple softies on this one, i'm surprised ;)

jaybull
07-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Good point & observation jaybull, I happen to be one of the guys that hunt predators purely for sport… some of it is done on farmland in the summer months which is mostly a bonus for the ranchers. Although I was asked to take it easy on them this time of year because they help control the prairie dogs. Ya know I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed so I whish someone could spell out exactly what is wrong with hunting coyotes in the summer months. I’m guessing it’s because the pups will die a slow agonizing death by starving. Is there anything else or is that the main reason. That being said, I will not shoot pups or sleeping coyotes. Once again, HATS OFF to dogslayer403 who took down seven coyotes in one evening. World class predator hunting by any standard.

Good for you, at least own the fact you enjoy hunting them for sport. Hunting them in the summer other than to protect your livestock or pets JMO seems a little harsh for the fact you mentioned. The pups will die from starvation. Is that good hunting ethics? Thats for you the hunter to decide. My opinion is it shows lack of respect for wildlife. We as hunters should try our hardest to make clean kills. It's just the right thing to do. Explain to me, how letting pups die a slow painful death is the right thing to do. It seems to me theres a general lack of respect for anything other than elk, sheep, moose, bear, deer ect..... But when it comes to other animals like yotes, wolfs, birds, gofers ect... people don't care if they are wounded or shot just to kill something. If it's legal shot all you want. The only thing i would hope hunters try to do is. Show respect for your game and nature in general. Clean kills. And always leave the places you hunt cleaner than the were. And if not having intrest in killing things just to kill something makes me a softy. Then so be it.:happy0034:

IR_mike
07-11-2010, 06:12 PM
There is a good Canadian Geographic show about the resillience of the coyote on bell channel 270 APTN now 6:00 pm start.

wolfkiller
07-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Starchoice 7pm channel 350

waylow
07-11-2010, 06:47 PM

Almost seem to get worse, if you ask me.

SCO
07-11-2010, 11:36 PM

x2

I have had 5 deer killed within 150 yards of my house at night from coyotes in the last 4 winters and 3 of them had been young 150" class bucks. All deer were in perfect health. My cousin, 5 miles away killed 17 last winter and 26 the winter befoer on his half section of land and you can still hear them howling everywhere all night. I killed 21 in the last 8 months with the last one a week ago with the 12guage as it was jumping from my deck. I have noticed inthe last 3 years the doe to fawn ratio getting less and less. I have seen numerous does this year while scouting and I have yet to see a fawn. Last year I seen 1 fawn that made it to the fall for every 2-3 does. If any of you predator hunters are interested in hunting a hour north of Edmonton I have all the land or access to that you could ever use to shoot coyotes.

Slash8
07-12-2010, 11:09 AM
Have Gun will travel.....See Coyote, will shoot it.

We had one in the yard once about 10 years ago when our kids were small they were out side playing and the yote was only 25 yards away watching my kids through trees that border the field next to our house. they were 3 and 4 years old at the at the time, I grabbed the gun and ran out the back door and it took off running, I made a whoop sound it stopped about 200 yards out and looked back. The last thing that went through his mind was 62 grains of copper and lead. I nailed 3 more that summer in the same field.

rugatika
07-12-2010, 12:10 PM
I say kill em because they are sneaky lil sum batches that have tried to lure my dog into the bush for their own nefarious reasons. Same goes for wolves. Too many of both around.

greylynx
07-12-2010, 07:03 PM
My Hypothesis: (sort of sounds like skrool, but read on please)

Have you guys figured out that shooting these dumb little pups will increase the natural selectivity ( Darwin stuff) of the species where the coyotes become a lot smarter?

The alpha offspring from alpha pairs will ultimately be very smart to the coyote hunter:

Conclusion and further literature:

I have to go to the 2010 Leupold catalog (US sp) to buy myself a brand spankin new Vari -X 3.

Maybe a new varmint rifle??

By golly you coyote hunters are a bad bad bunch.:sHa_shakeshout:

IR_mike
07-12-2010, 07:20 PM
My Hypothesis: (sort of sounds like skrool, but read on please)

Have you guys figured out that shooting these dumb little pups will increase the natural selectivity ( Darwin stuff) of the species where the coyotes become a lot smarter?

The alpha offspring from alpha pairs will ultimately be very smart to the coyote hunter:

Conclusion and further literature:

I have to go to the 2010 Leupold catalog (US sp) to buy myself a brand spankin new Vari -X 3.

Maybe a new varmint rifle??

By golly you coyote hunters are a bad bad bunch.:sHa_shakeshout:

Yup any excuse for a new gun!!!

Thats what some people can't see about the coyote, how its intelligence and adaptability have helped it expand its range.

In some areas of the U.S. they have instituted bounties, aerial hunting, and poision only to limit the population short term.

Then the next generation of yotes is just that much better.

H380
07-12-2010, 07:44 PM
[QUOTE=IR_mike;628626]Yup any excuse for a new gun!!!

Thats what some people can't see about the coyote, how its intelligence and adaptability have helped it expand its range.

In some areas of the U.S. they have instituted bounties, aerial hunting, and poision only to limit the population short term.

Then the next generation of yotes is just that much better.[ Glad to see coyotes are getting smarter ,I'd hate to think Iwas only shooting dumb ones .. but seriosly I think you are 100% right , it is a sort of natural selection thing, just like shooting all the rooster pheasants that flush which leaves those runners to pass on the anti-flush genes ..:scared0018:

Reeves1
07-13-2010, 07:21 AM
x2

I have had 5 deer killed within 150 yards of my house at night from coyotes in the last 4 winters and 3 of them had been young 150" class bucks. All deer were in perfect health. My cousin, 5 miles away killed 17 last winter and 26 the winter befoer on his half section of land and you can still hear them howling everywhere all night. I killed 21 in the last 8 months with the last one a week ago with the 12guage as it was jumping from my deck. I have noticed inthe last 3 years the doe to fawn ratio getting less and less. I have seen numerous does this year while scouting and I have yet to see a fawn. Last year I seen 1 fawn that made it to the fall for every 2-3 does. If any of you predator hunters are interested in hunting a hour north of Edmonton I have all the land or access to that you could ever use to shoot coyotes.

Heard a shot in the bush south of me......same day I smoked one in the field to the east of me. Maybe you ? :D

Mine stood straight up , ran about 10-15' and piled up.
Gotta help out the White Tail Doe than is raising a fawn on my place this year ! :lol: