jesse34567
07-08-2010, 11:06 PM
it seems most of the walleye have transitioned to deep water in travers
30 to 40 foot range
how would i go about targeting them?

Thanks.

S.A.S
07-08-2010, 11:20 PM
Sinking Rapalas would work pretty well. If you have a boat and fish finder you could Jig those depths.

Cal
07-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Bottom bouncing if they arent suspended, jigging, and trolling deep divers with some weight on a long line. Remember though that at those depths they will likely get the bends and their survival rate is pretty poor. And for gods sake dont fizz them!

walleyechaser
07-08-2010, 11:34 PM
heard great thinks about the troll-to minnow, got a couple have yet to put them to use, soon how ever

sheephunter
07-08-2010, 11:45 PM
Bottom bouncer and spinner rig would be my first choice. I'd be surprised if all the walleye were deep though. Likely a great shallow bite somewhere.

jesse34567
07-08-2010, 11:52 PM
yeah, most of them are schooling up on deep transitions from 40 foot to 60

tried the river no luck should i be targeting weed edges also ?

sheephunter
07-08-2010, 11:54 PM
Weed edges or even right in the weeds. Some great shallow bites on most southern reservoirs.

nicemustang
07-09-2010, 08:33 AM
yeah, most of them are schooling up on deep transitions from 40 foot to 60

tried the river no luck should i be targeting weed edges also ?

Are you sure? Have you actually been able to catch any or see them or are you just marking them?? Cause if you are just marking them, they aren't walleye. They are whitefish and big pike.

nicemustang
07-09-2010, 08:35 AM
And it's definitely TOO early to have the fish move that deep yet. Especially this cool summer we've had, it's a few weeks behind. It still should be the 16-22 FOW range.

X2 to the weed beds. Above them or right beside them if it transitions to hard bottom should be key right now.

I-Love-Eyes
07-09-2010, 08:44 AM
And it's definitely TOO early to have the fish move that deep yet. Especially this cool summer we've had, it's a few weeks behind. It still should be the 16-22 FOW range.

X2 to the weed beds. Above them or right beside them if it transitions to hard bottom should be key right now.

X2--we fished Buck lake last weekend and they were in the weeds--12' feet of water hanging on a hump. Slip bobber worked awesome as well as jigging.

We also tried trolling and bottom bouncing back and forth in 8 - 20' and only caught one walleye in 19'--did catch some big pike in that range

Winch101
07-09-2010, 05:23 PM
The biggest problem I find fishing those Res.is not fishing

shallow enough . I am X3 on the stacked up deep hooks are whites

camera doesnt lie ... Shallower walleyes are , better they bite

and Travers is a pretty cold lake ... I would stick to 15' to 20' feet and they are still in the creek .... W101

Fish Feathers Game
07-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Hey Jesse, did you try shallower??? I was there on Mon / Tues and we did not fish deeper than 16 feet!! My niece caught her 6.6 lber at 13 feet! I marked tons of fish moving in and around us. A guy and his wife were fishing near us in 20 feet of water (I asked him) and I saw them boat only 2 fish. Don't always assume deeper is the key, try shallower first! Good luck at St Mary's??

jesse34567
07-09-2010, 11:06 PM
Wouldn't be out at st. marys, but am hitting up the AYA Travers on July 18th

Will you be at that one?
I think I have seen your boat in the SAWT travers tournament.

DLP
07-10-2010, 11:38 AM
I've been having some decent luck trolling Rap's with a 6 foot leader tied to a dipsy diver. They work great keeping the lure a the 40 ft mark.

bardfromedson
07-10-2010, 12:48 PM
the survival rate on walleye caught in 50-60ft of water will be pretty much zero so if thats what they are mabe leave them alone and try to catch them shallower. i can't see them being that deep anyway.

pikester
07-10-2010, 06:24 PM
I just finished reading an article which stated that pulling walleye out of water over 26 ft dropped the survival rate down to something like 30%!

Sometimes as responsible anglers we have wiegh doing what's right for the fish against our desire to catch them:thinking-006:

TBD
07-10-2010, 06:31 PM
I just finished reading an article which stated that pulling walleye out of water over 26 ft dropped the survival rate down to something like 30%!

Sometimes as responsible anglers we have wiegh doing what's right for the fish against our desire to catch them:thinking-006:

jesse34567
07-10-2010, 06:32 PM

So you feel that because I want to catch them to eat I am unethical?

Big Animal
07-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Jesse what would you do with the walleyes that were under the legal size limit for that body of water when their air bag popped out?Would you still take them home or just release them to the pelicans? Don't get it bud

floppychicken
07-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Best day ever for Walleye... Caught 20+ Eyes, all 4 to 10 lb fish in less than a couple of hours...

25+ degrees and Sunny outside (August) around 5pm
4' to 7' water pulling 'RAPS' through 'stick weeds' VERY quickly
Water temperature 75.4 degrees

Found out that Walleye are very much like 'any other fish'... When they're hungry they go 'wherever' the food source is.....

Cheers,

Ken07AOVette
07-11-2010, 07:53 PM
What does 'dont fizz them' mean?

WayneChristie
07-11-2010, 07:55 PM

dont shake them up like a beer :sHa_sarcasticlol:

pikester
07-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Jesse what would you do with the walleyes that were under the legal size limit for that body of water when their air bag popped out?Would you still take them home or just release them to the pelicans? Don't get it bud

Thanks for answering for me, that's exactly what I was getting at, just didn't have the foresight to clarify in my post! If a person was fishing where any walleye was legal to keep then obviously the survival rate thing would not be an issue but where in Alberta can that happen? Also the OP was in regards to Travers I believe; if anyone can selectively harvest legal walleye from 30 or 40ft of water there (or anywhere), then I should definitely be fishing with that person:happy0034:

fitzy
07-11-2010, 10:34 PM

Popping their airbladders, You can but little fizzing tools but small gauge needles are supposed to work just as good. I don't catch deep walleye though because its supposed to work if you know what your doing, but I have never even seen it done.

fitzy
07-11-2010, 10:39 PM

Good to see some people are still thinking a bit about the future, I can't understand enjoying fishing and not caring about what happens to the fish. Not knocking you jesse, if your eating them good for you... still what about the released fish.

oilngas
07-12-2010, 10:05 AM
If other years are an indicator there will be active WE in the 17 - 22' range at Crawling, at least for the next few weeks. I personally don't fish them much deeper, the F&W Tech. out at Crawling last summer confirmed that survival is "limited" below about 24'.
Later in the summer it seems like openings in the weed beds can be great at times.