PDA

View Full Version : Little Red Deer River

kidd
07-09-2010, 09:01 AM
Will be heading North on Hwy 22 from Cochrane to Edmonton on Sunday (unless the GF wins and we detour to Cross Iron Mills) and wonder what the fishing is like on the Little Red Deer River?
I have searched some old posts and it sounds like Browns are in there. Does anyone know a decent place to fish without getting the girlfriends new car onto much gravel and dust?
Looks like there is a spot at Westward Ho but it sounds like maybe a busy place to fish? Is it worth going West to Sundre and fish in the river there? I think thats the Red Deer River. I dont want to make a day of it, just a stop for an hour or two somewhere.
Will be spin fishing with small spinners.
Thanks for any info.
kidd

kidd
07-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Fine I will find a spot to cast a line my own darn self!
Kidding aside, I'm sure it cant be too hard doing some exploring to find a good spot. Heading out. Have a great weekend everyone!
kidd

Little Red Man
07-09-2010, 09:00 PM
My online namesake comes from the Little Red Deer River. It was my home river for several years when I lived in Water Valley. I had really good luck on that small river. Very intimate and brings back very fond memories. One such memory includes getting within about 50 yards of a very large male cougar, so keep yer head up!

Anyway....There are several bridges that cross the Little Red Deer River, but two come to mind. One is just South of Water Valley, and another is just West of Water Valley. I had excellent luck going up river of both. Biggest Brown I caught (and released) was a 20 incher. Not bad for a tiny stream. You can walk the River easily from both bridges, but ensure you stay IN the River, as some of the farmers/ranchers/acreage owners can get ****y.

Best flies that worked for me were the venerable Stimulator and Green Bead Head Wooly Bugger on an indicator.

Good luck!!...I sure miss that little gem of a river....99% of the time, I never saw another fisherman!

Grizzly Adams
07-09-2010, 09:37 PM
If you're worried about the car, you might try around the bridge, just off the highway, on the Bergen rd.

Grizz