PDA

View Full Version : Fishing course?

Calgaryguy1977
07-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Hey guys I was speaking to a european the other day and he said he had to take a course before he could fish in his country.

I was thinking it may not be a bad idea here. I know alot of you are gonna say we are gouged with fees now. I mean they could maybe charge 5-10 dollars and make sure people know to use and make hooks barbless, how to properly catch and release, and perhaps an ethics section. The proceeds could go to stocking and maintaining fish populations throughout the province. Also it would help prevent people pleaing ingnorance. Nothing annoys me more than people not adhereing to ethical practices or abusing the fish they have no intention of keeping. It seems most of us had the fortune of someone showing us the way of proper fishing etiquette and practices, however there are alot of people lacking them!

I would happily do this but I'm not sure everyone would be on board. What are your thoughts/comments on this?

DustDee
07-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Nope. Chalk one up against a REQUIRED fishing course.

SushiUnagi
07-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Hey calgaryguy!

I think that is a great idea to have a course out there to teach people how to fish and show them how recreational angling differs here than other places including key rules to abide (such as barbless hooks), catch limits, licensing requirements, max number of hooks, etc., ethics section, as well as promoting C&R.

Making it mandatory will be another battle though IMHO. But at least if its available out there (even optional) it is definitely the first step in the right direction to make angling better for everyone.

I do believe the big thing here is with alberta immigrants not being aware that rules and regulations exists here in Canada/Alberta on recreational angling. With enough exposure and support from local fishing stores (maybe put up posters and all) I think this will help lower the number of 'accidental' poaching (with people not knowing that rules governing fishing exists).
I hope I didn't just open a can of worms touching on the topic of poaching. I genuienly believe education can go a long way in solving a good portion of this problem.

Calgaryguy1977
07-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Sushi, I totally agree. When I'm at stocked ponds I see some people hauling in and keeping like 20 fish of any size. It's starting to get on my nerves yet I don't say anything because I don't feel it's my place. I'm thinking of calling the Co's next time.

I think a course could go a long way.

an alternative solution would be drop the cost of the license by a few dollars if you take the course......just a suggestion.

iliketrout
07-09-2010, 02:31 PM
It's every responsible angler's place to both follow and encourage others to follow the regs and to report poachers. Now if I only had a satellite phone for the Travers Spillway....:sign0176:

TexasTornado
07-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Probably a good idea, it will at least introduce the REGULATIONS to the many half wits out there and on here.

Okotokian
07-09-2010, 03:02 PM
The regulations aren't so complicated that they require a course. If a person even bothered to pick up the regulations they are right there. Now an optional course? Great. Heck, if there was a course that actually taught you how to fish more successfully I'd be the first to sign up!

I recall when I started hunting and took my firearms and hunting certification courses. They taught me the laws and rules but unfortunately didn't teach me how to hunt(I was disappointed). Wish there were more courses on that.

Calgaryguy1977
07-09-2010, 03:12 PM
The practice of proper catch and release is important imo and should be mandatory as mishandling a fish could easily lead to its death unfortunately. Thats where I feel a course could be most useful if you know what I mean!!.

WayneChristie
07-09-2010, 06:59 PM
It's every responsible angler's place to both follow and encourage others to follow the regs and to report poachers. Now if I only had a satellite phone for the Travers Spillway....:sign0176:

hey Adam, if you go to the top of the hill you will get reception, even my crappy phone does there ;)

walking buffalo
07-09-2010, 08:09 PM
And a registry for fishing rods, liscences to purchase tackle. :rolleye2:

Good idea at heart, just remove the Mandatory concept. And make sure it is not a government run program. Those that are ignorant, forgetfull, or careless towards the resource and laws will still exist.

jngjess
07-09-2010, 08:34 PM
I actually asked at the fishing store if there was such a thing as courses, and was told to just go out and fish, ask questions, and people would be happy to help. Problem is, my mom always told me not to talk to strangers, and I'm trying to teach my son the same thing. (Comes from watching too much CSI!) Hubby is not the outdoors type, so we're on our own.

:scared0018:

There's a lot to be said for being shown how to (or not to) do something versus reading it out of a USA book, or surfing the net. Like can the barbs on a hook actually be bent in with pliers as to render them "not functional" or am I just a weakling? (Never mind, don't answer that.)

Anyways, if I could find a beginner course in Edmonton (or a kid's program??) I'd be there in a heartbeat!!

CanuckShooter
07-09-2010, 09:01 PM
Hey guys I was speaking to a european the other day and he said he had to take a course before he could fish in his country.

I was thinking it may not be a bad idea here. I know alot of you are gonna say we are gouged with fees now. I mean they could maybe charge 5-10 dollars and make sure people know to use and make hooks barbless, how to properly catch and release, and perhaps an ethics section. The proceeds could go to stocking and maintaining fish populations throughout the province. Also it would help prevent people pleaing ingnorance. Nothing annoys me more than people not adhereing to ethical practices or abusing the fish they have no intention of keeping. It seems most of us had the fortune of someone showing us the way of proper fishing etiquette and practices, however there are alot of people lacking them!

I would happily do this but I'm not sure everyone would be on board. What are your thoughts/comments on this?

I think the idea stinks, we are forced to do the dumbest things already...if it's that important they should have a course in elementary school. And fishermen from outside of Canada should have to complete the course with 99% passing grade before they are allowed to wet a line!!

WayneChristie
07-09-2010, 09:11 PM
I took the Hunter training/Conservation course in junior and senior high school, something like that should be mandatory in all Canadian schools, instead of some of the more useless courses they force on us. And new citizens should have to take it also, even if its just for their information and they never use any of it in practice.

Fish Feathers Game
07-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Actually, there is such a course. I am a certified instructor for it. Through my local (at the time, Lethbridge) fish and game club, myself and a couple other instructors ran a couple of courses through the elective program at the Lethbridge Community College. I asked about this course some time ago as I had the same questions mentioned above and I still think it is a great course for beginners. I still have my manual and course material for the program. It would need a major update and with the gov't flush with $, I know what priority level it would be at!! Maybe ACA or someone else could get involved. I will check with AHEIA and maybe through my local club now.

Rui
07-09-2010, 09:52 PM
I don't think a mandatory course is required.

What should be is a better licensing procedure. Just being handed a regulation guide I don't think is really enough.

Perhaps they should do it more like a car license. In order to obtain your first license, you have to undergo a test - much like a learner's permit - and only at a few locations. Test should include general fish handling best practices, looking up regs for a random location (so that the licensee is forced to be able to look up and understand regs), and ENVIRONMENTAL consequences (I am SOOOOO sick of people leaving their garbage and lines - sometimes with hooks!) just laying around. I think you can accomplish this with a multiple-choice test, that just gets read through a computer - maybe at the registry offices where they already have machines.

Making a course and having it mandatory would drive up the costs in getting your fishing license. Many families who make a weekend out of it, would be driven away from this great family experience as the financial burden would put it out of reach.

I also have a note - I myself am an 'immigrant', and I fish with other immigrants. We do catch and release 99% of the time, don't leave our garbage around, and follow the regs. Really, really tired of getting people flaming immigrants. Sure, I don't doubt that many immigrants poach, over-catch, etc.. but many Canadians here do as well - and I do know many people catch burbot, suckers and even pike 'by accident' and decide to throw them in the bush so they don't compete or prey on trout, walleye, etc. Stop flaming immigrants and blaming immigrants - we are not the plague, and most of us are 'law abiding'. Really annoying.

SushiUnagi
07-10-2010, 12:12 AM
I don't think a mandatory course is required.

What should be is a better licensing procedure. Just being handed a regulation guide I don't think is really enough.

Perhaps they should do it more like a car license. In order to obtain your first license, you have to undergo a test - much like a learner's permit - and only at a few locations. Test should include general fish handling best practices, looking up regs for a random location (so that the licensee is forced to be able to look up and understand regs), and ENVIRONMENTAL consequences (I am SOOOOO sick of people leaving their garbage and lines - sometimes with hooks!) just laying around. I think you can accomplish this with a multiple-choice test, that just gets read through a computer - maybe at the registry offices where they already have machines.

Making a course and having it mandatory would drive up the costs in getting your fishing license. Many families who make a weekend out of it, would be driven away from this great family experience as the financial burden would put it out of reach.

I also have a note - I myself am an 'immigrant', and I fish with other immigrants. We do catch and release 99% of the time, don't leave our garbage around, and follow the regs. Really, really tired of getting people flaming immigrants. Sure, I don't doubt that many immigrants poach, over-catch, etc.. but many Canadians here do as well - and I do know many people catch burbot, suckers and even pike 'by accident' and decide to throw them in the bush so they don't compete or prey on trout, walleye, etc. Stop flaming immigrants and blaming immigrants - we are not the plague, and most of us are 'law abiding'. Really annoying.

I totally agree with you just by handing a regulation guide is insufficient. You do have to spend time reading that book and understanding everything. e.g. Bait vs Bait Fish? What...there's a difference? Took me a while to understand that bit, honestly. I'm still picking up things from that book.

Implementing the licensing system like the learners licensing system is not a bad idea too! That'll ensure all people in recreational angling in AB know their stuff. As for driving up the cost it is inevitable I think with that licensing process... so going back to calgaryguy's idea of having awareness courses is probably the best approach moving forward. Low cost and educate everyone looking to do some fishing in the province. Bottom line is exposure. It really needs a high level of exposure to gain any momentum and benefits though. That way anyone not knowing anything about AB angling will learn of this course and ultimately the rules and regulations. Big posters on all fishing stores in AB will help...everyone going there to pick up their first set of rods and accessories in AB will then learn of this course and more importantly the rules and regs.

Just my 2 cents.

I hope my earlier post didn't offend you about the immigrant factor as it wasn't meant to offend anyone. If so, I'm really sorry! I'm an immigrant too (from HK) so I think I have an understanding of both sides. Poaching is like theft. Theft occurs everywhere (unfortunately) and does not only happen to one race, gender, or age group. I think what makes you upset (me too) is when people put up posts about poaching, it usually follows with either the words, 'asians' or 'immigrants'. When I see those posts I react strongly, not because its a stereotypical post, but because I feel ashamed of being an asian too. Yes bust their rear-ends. Go COs Go!
Not all asians or immigrants poach, and similarly not all non-immigrants don't poach.
Unfortunately on those occasions, just so happens that these asian peeps got spotted/caught so thats why it ruined everyone's reputation.
In any case, what I'm trying to allude to here is, I truly believe the biggest problem associated with poaching by immigrants is not because they are used to commit crimes (maybe some do, then I don't know how they made it in to Canada or not get caught yet and evicted out of the country) but perhaps they are NOT AWARE that in Alberta, a simple thing like fishing is actually governed by a set of rules and regulations. I don't think all asians/immigrants poachers are aware of the regulations, those that are aware but choose to disobey should be punished, but I am certain there are some that are unaware and just don't even think such a thing is regulated at all. There is zero rules with fishing in Hong Kong and Japan. For a person that grow up in those areas and moving here, do you think they will have the slightest/faintest idea to actually go get a license (let alone following specified catch limit)? I think all they have in their minds is to pick up the equipments and hit a lake on a nice day.
Try putting this in your perspective...say chewing gum. Did you know it is against the law to chew gums in Singapore?? The fine is actually get whipped...seriously. :fighting0030:
So sorry that I went off in tangent, but tying back to the thread topic, with an awareness course I am certain we can at least eliminate the number of honest people poaching. Sure poaching is poaching but without understanding where they come from, I think that is just plain ignorant and does not solve the source of the problem. If its not addressed from the source, I can guarantee that you will see new honest immigrant fishermen labeled as poachers in many more years to come.

flygirrl
07-10-2010, 07:22 AM
In any case, what I'm trying to allude to here is, I truly believe the biggest problem associated with poaching by immigrants is not because they are used to commit crimes (maybe some do, then I don't know how they made it in to Canada or not get caught yet and evicted out of the country) but perhaps they are NOT AWARE that in Alberta, a simple thing like fishing is actually governed by a set of rules and regulations.

How do you explain someone fishing with power bait in front of the sign and the sign clearly says no bait allowed at Beaver lake. Than when you tell them they ask if POWER BAIT is concidered bait?

No, a course wont help. The only ones I can see this helping is young children and there is no reason why the schools cant do this.

SushiUnagi
07-10-2010, 09:57 AM
How do you explain someone fishing with power bait in front of the sign and the sign clearly says no bait allowed at Beaver lake. Than when you tell them they ask if POWER BAIT is concidered bait?

Like I mentioned I didn't know there was a difference between bait and bait fish until I study the regulations book and ask some questions on this forum.
Here's a hypothetical question: How did you find out that power bait is considered as bait? Is it thru the regulations book? OK, how did you find out there are regulations? You grew up here and been told? OK...but in the shoes of people who know no one here, new to the country/province, how would you otherwise find out you needed a license to fish and all that? The stores don't ask/verify your valid license before selling you lures and gear. Nor are fishing requirements information posted in the most obvious locations. Given that in their entire life there is no such thing as fishing regulations. Their question might be "What's that?"

No, a course wont help. The only ones I can see this helping is young children and there is no reason why the schools cant do this.

If a course won't help, what would?

I think fishing/hunting will the last thing on the alberta curriculum. It could be an optional thing but not a mandatory component.

A course would be more effective, as most people fishing are teens/adults, a course will allow these age groups to attend too, not just kids still in school. Besides, once you taught the adult, the adults can become a good role model and the kids will follow.

WayneChristie
07-11-2010, 06:15 PM
[QUOTE=SushiUnagi;627038]
Here's a hypothetical question: How did you find out that power bait is considered as bait?

hmmmm, thats not too hard to figure out. maybe the word "bait" in the name should give people a clue? :thinking-006:

iliketrout
07-12-2010, 08:39 AM
Here's a hypothetical question: How did you find out that power bait is considered as bait?

First I used common sense. But you can also read the regs:

The definition of bait: Bait – means any substance that attracts fish by scent or flavour and includes a lure to which scent or flavouring has been added

Then from the "Fishing with Bait" section

Bait — the definition of bait (see Definitions) includes, but is not restricted to: corn, cheese, marshmallows, meat, maggots, meal worms, earthworms, wax worms, gammarus shrimp, leeches, terrestrial insects, the larvae, pupae or adults of aquatic insects (e.g., stonefly, mayfly, caddis fly), bait fish, parts of fish, fish eggs, scented baits, power baits and all additives that scent or flavour artificial baits and lures.

SushiUnagi
07-12-2010, 02:45 PM
:character0053:

Need More Fish'n time
07-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Perhaps they need a few "How-To" pages in the regs booklet.

How to properly:
-handle a fish
-release a fish
-net a fish
-pinch/file hook barbs
-tie some basic knots
-kill a fish
-clean a fish
...2 pages...

Include a "How to report a poacher" guide - include an "incident" card for tackle boxes (details include vehicle make/model, license plate, location, description of poacher, date & time & 1-800 number...). 1 page

A basic guide for spoting potential fishing holes (look for eddies & pools in rivers, weed lines & drop offs in lakes...) 1 page

Add a basic guide showing which lures/sizes are a good starting point for each sport fishing species. 1 page

A section on the fisheries managment would be good too. It may give some folks some insite into why we have catch limits. Promote the phrase "Limit your catch ...not catch your limit.". 1 page

That's my 2cents. Plus, the "how to" would be great for that mom & her son that wrote in needing some basic instruction.