PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrator vs smoker

okodoko
07-09-2010, 01:45 PM
I'm not a hunter, but I figured you guys would know the answer to this question (My Dad's a hunter, which is how I found the forum).

I've been thinking about buying a dehydrator for a while to make food for backpacking, and to help my Dad out with some jerky. Recently I started looking into smokers too. My questions is, if I buy a smoker, can I dehydrate food (not just meat) with it too, or do I need to buy a separate dehydrator?

Thanks!

whiskybaron
07-09-2010, 03:07 PM
You could dehyrate food in a smoker but you will find that it will have a smoke flavor or taste you r better to have seperate items for both, know matter how hard you try once you smoke something in the smoker it will aleays have the smell and taste of the smoke. Just my 2 cents worth any way

dave99
07-09-2010, 03:43 PM
I have a dehydrator and find that it's very versatile in what you can dehydrate. It makes amazing deer jerkey, but can also dehydrate apples and just about anything else that you're interested in drying. I would suggest starting out with a dehydrator, and getting a smoker if you're still wanting to change flavors up a bit.

aulrich
07-09-2010, 04:05 PM
And you can add liquid smoke to get that flavor in jerky from a dehydrator

okodoko
07-12-2010, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the advice guys!