PDA

View Full Version : Loomis Lake... and a fish question

Okotokian
07-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Heading to Loomis Lake this weekend... looks like quite a hike in, about 13 km with multiple river and creek crossings. I don't mind the distance but is the elevation a killer? I'm not into going up 35 degree slopes for an hour. Picklejar last weekend was about enough for me. I don't want anything tougher.

ALSO..... On th off chance I get lucky and catch something big enough to keep (very unlikely there, but...) how long can should you keep a fish in a non-refridgerated environment (like in a plastric bag in your pack) before you have to worry? I could see catching something and not having it home for 6 hours. Gutting it fast help? Sorry for the questions but I haven't not released a fish in years.

Alexey
07-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Yes, gutting helps, also don't forget to remove gills.
And you'd better wrap the fish in paper or any grass instead of sealed plastic bag.

pikester
07-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Loomis is a pretty good hump all right, I think the last time I went up there it took us 6hrs but we stayed for 3 days so we had a wack of stuff to haul! Just as a foot note, the actual camping area is at the foot of a headwall below the lake, I think it takes about 20 minutes to get up to the lake form there. You might be able to camp right on the edge of the lake but like I said it means humping all your crap up a rock ridge/ headwall. Not to mention I remember it being very rocky & windy by the lake so I think you might have to be reasonably hardcore to camp right there!

Good luck, let us know how you did. There used to be tons of cutties in there & they were HUNGRY!!! I was flyfishing & caught 130 trout in 3 days, still haven't beat that record lol.

ÜberFly
07-09-2010, 09:20 PM
I guarantee you the lake will be frozen solid!!

P

Kingfisher
07-09-2010, 10:08 PM
Last time I was in there we got stopped by a grizzly about half way in. Not sure if she had a cub. But I wasn't going to stop and see if she did. Good thing we were a few hundred yards away and we saw her before she saw us. We turned around and got outa Dodge.

Just be careful. That's all I'm saying.

Rob

great white whaler
07-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Heading to Loomis Lake this weekend... looks like quite a hike in, about 13 km with multiple river and creek crossings. I don't mind the distance but is the elevation a killer? I'm not into going up 35 degree slopes for an hour. Picklejar last weekend was about enough for me. I don't want anything tougher.

ALSO..... On th off chance I get lucky and catch something big enough to keep (very unlikely there, but...) how long can should you keep a fish in a non-refridgerated environment (like in a plastric bag in your pack) before you have to worry? I could see catching something and not having it home for 6 hours. Gutting it fast help? Sorry for the questions but I haven't not released a fish in years.

keep your trout from going soft,,rap them up in peat moss,or bog moss in a cool ,dry, trout basket,,,just sayin:2mo5pow:

BobLoblaw
07-09-2010, 11:25 PM
I guarantee you the lake will be frozen solid!!

P

I believe yer right, brother!
From another forum a couple days ago, regarding Loomis...

"once i got up to the sub alpine there was a lot of snow. i got within a click of the lake just before the last slog up and saw some rather large cat prints in the mud with 2 other small prints beside. they were very fresh. i walked about 10 more min and just caught the glimps of mama mountain lion and her two cubs running off in the col heading towards little loomis. when i got up to loomis the snow started coming down hard and winds were unreal. the lake had zero open water and about 2ft oif ice to boot. i was actually able to walk onto the ice. so i decided to head back down and hit up cateract for the day instead. my guess is that all the lakes along that stretch are in that condition so for anyone looking to head out that way i would advise you to give it a bit yet."

Doesn't sound promising...

Okotokian
07-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Well I made it there and back. Quite the adventure. Took about 4.5 hours each way, perhaps a bit more going up. Lots of wet river/creek crossings and also a lot of water on the trail, making for a lot of mud and sloshing. 13 km each way, 700 meters of elevation. Couple of thunder storms coming down. Lots of Griz poop on the trail. We figured the newest was perhaps a day old.

As for fish, one Cutt actually landed between the four of us... sad. The lake was about 3/4 iced over still, and there was very little clear bank you could fish from. I got a couple bites but that was it.

I did make one very serious mistake that luckily turned out alright. The two young hiking machines had gone ahead and the older fellow was hiking with me. The last push up was pretty rough. When his GPS said the lake was 400 meters away I called for a break, I needed a rest. But the lake was so close I told him to go ahead and I'd be up shortly. Well, you guessed it... the clear trail became not so clear and I wandered around lost for a half hour. I finally decided tha last ugliest headwall was the one I was going to have to go up, and then he appeared at the top looking out for me.

Rule #1. Never split up like that. Especially when the other guy has the GPS and route!

#2 Getting myself a GPS and Spot.

Anyway, glad I went. Gives you a real feeling of accomplishment.