PDA

View Full Version : Sea ducks

nube
07-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Hey guys I am thinking I might pull the pin and book a sea duck hunt on the East coast. Most of the outfitts I have looked at are in the U.S. Does anyone know of any good ones on Canadian ground as well?

Also, on a side note does anyone go to B.C to do any Sea duck hunting? I have not heard much about it and don't see any outfitters out there. I need to get a Haliquin as well and I may have to go for a trip and figure that out as well out there if possible.

wwbirds
07-10-2010, 12:19 PM
I am sure they exist but I do not know of any sea duck outfitters in Eastern Canada although a friend and first rank taxidermist spent a month off Nova Scotia collecting all types of eiders and a few incidentals. Harlies I believe are closed on east coast so west is way to go before they close that down as well. think limit is one in Washington and two in BC so the go to place seems to be Alaska for King eiders and harliquin. If you are up to it for the east coast of US for sea ducks send me a PM for I know a number of carvers who also guide for sea ducks in Maine I can also give you contact information for Rick (taxidermist)in southern Ontario to see who he used in Nova Scotia. You will also want to target long tail ducks (old Squaw) if your goal is taxidermy mounts for they are really incredible birds.
Rob

ranger
07-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Hey Nube,

Try there they are very good it is in Bas St-Laurent Quebec that guy has a very good reputation.

http://servicesaquahabitat.com/

JP

Caper28
07-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Check out the Nova Scotia hunting form, someone there would be able to help you out, lots of duck hunters that would be able to point you in the right direction. novascotiahunting.com

Jamie
07-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Nube..
\I might be able to put together a Sea duck hunt out of Prince Rupert.
I hear that it can be very good at times and I have heard tell of a permanent blind near Dodge Cove.
It's something I have also wanted to do.

Lets see what happens over the next little while. If it works they way I want it to, we could hit some Salmon, have a warm place to stay and hit some ducks...
The ultimate "BLAST AND CAST"!!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions

Jamie

pointer
07-10-2010, 05:20 PM
try openboat outfitters in newfoundland i know they do eider and old squaw hunts along with turrs

nube
07-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Thanks guys for the ideas. i am thinking I may try and do a trip to B.C this year if I can figure it out. The only bird i won't be able to hunt is Eiders in B.C I think but I need to do some more research. I have a couple guys who have contacts and I may try to get out to Port Hardy and see what I can do.

Alex Parker
07-12-2010, 02:01 PM
I have been hunting sea ducks since i was 10 years old all over the east coast. Nova Scotia has by far the best sea duck hunts in the world. I sent videos to outfitters everywhere and they could not believe the amount of sea ducks I would see in a 20 minute period. I would see endless bunchs of sea eiders and coots in bunchs of 1000's tolling to my decoys and landing. Old sqaws and harquits are everywhere. I never disclose my location over the web but I currently have moved to alberta and do not have a clue where to duck hunt or goose hunt here. I would take someone sea duck hunting in exchange for some hunting locations here. Just to be warned my hunting locations are very extreme and you have to be able to jump from the boat onto the rocks and not get sea sick as I hunt on the most eastern tip of north america. PM me if you have a hunt to offer me

Alex Parker
07-12-2010, 02:05 PM
We hunt off small island rocks that are out on the open ocean and conditions can get very tricky and we have 3 labs that are probably the toughest dogs on the planet lol as we hunt from mid october to mid january and so cold ice freezes to the boat as we sail along. best hunting first of november and you could shoot 200 ducks a day if you were allowed

DuckBrat
07-12-2010, 02:27 PM
You can do Sea ducks yourself, off the east coast of Vancouver Island about an hour out of Victoria. Make decoys from Bleach jugs works well. Eiders, Scoter, Harlies available.

nube
07-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Duckbrat, I never knew there were eiders there. I plan on a trip out there this winter. Just got to figure out some details. I sure hope I can find an eider or 2 but as far as I know they don't come down that far.

DuckBrat
07-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Duckbrat, I never knew there were eiders there. I plan on a trip out there this winter. Just got to figure out some details. I sure hope I can find an eider or 2 but as far as I know they don't come down that far.

You can get eiders in Late December makes for a great Christmas hunt. The eiders on the wall at the wholesale sports in Edmonton came from the Island.

greylynx
07-12-2010, 06:11 PM

You even get the odd Eider and Scoter in Central Alberta when the spring and summer weather starts going crazy.

One really rare find was a Puffin that was found barely alive under the High Level bridge in Edmonton. I was found a week after a storm from the North - east blew.

I have performed partial necropcies on Scoters, and Eiders for study skeletons for the government.

Don't you guys find the insides Eiders and Scoters really acrid and horribly smelly, compared to old Mr. Greenhead and Mr. Scaup?

Please don't consider this an insult, I am just wondering?

nube
07-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Wow!! I am pumped now. I plan on going in January. Better plumage I think. I would like to figure out how to do it and go every year or 2 if it is successfull and cost effective. I need to get a few on my wall. Got to love the old squaw and skunkheads.

Alex Parker
07-23-2010, 04:08 PM
Of course they smell different they have completly different diets lol...one of them eats mussels as there primary food source guess which one...Sea duck hunting on west coast sucks trust me go to Nova Scotia. I sunk a boat there last year sea duck hunting and got rescued and it was awesome also shot more sea ducks than anybody in the world