PDA

View Full Version : Project Healing Waters Canada update

PHWFFC
07-11-2010, 10:05 AM
I know there was a brief discussion about our program etc. some time back, I wanted to give you folks an update on our progress.
Through sheer persistance we have finally been able to put soldiers and flyrods in the same place at the same time over the last 12 months.
We are currently running or ready to start six programs across Canada and there are more coming along as we wait for our CRA Tax number, which we are hoping will be done shortly, with an immense amount of help from our Lawyer I should say, who has worked Pro Bono for us since early last year.
We have just finished sending two soldiers from the Edmonton area on a trip with Dave Brown outfitters in B.C. Dave footed the bill with some fundraising on his own, we were able to send guys down with equipment and expenses coverd for two days of great fishing with a number of U.S. Troops as well.
There are four more heading of to Ontario to fish with American Soldiers up at Wilderness North Lodge.
We have a tying (winter) and fly fishing program running and growing in Edmonton and Calgary Hook and Hackle Club will be working with us as we bring soldiers in their area into the programs.
Calgary Hook and Hackle is also integrating one of our non military clients, who is enjoying fly fishing once again with some adaptive equipment.
I'll post a few pictures here, but I also wanted to remind you all that we found our roots in Alberta and now the benefit is travelling across the country, the generosity of Albertans has been humbling.
Our Soldiers are Canadian and thus no matter what province they are from, they have served us as a country, through many generations.
We have two Viet Nam Vets in our program, one here in Edmonton. I was able to give him a few hours of casting instruction before he left for a fishing trip.
I saw him laying out some good 30' casts and said "Hey! Three hours ago you had never held a flyrod."
He turned and looked at me with a smile and said,
"If there had been programs like this around when I came back, there would be more of us alive today."
sort of a humbling experience for me and for many of our instructors across Canada who have told me time and again, that they feel like they are learning more about themselves than they are teaching their clients.
This is what PHWFFC is all about, but more importantly, this is what fishing can be all about.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/Inconnu_2006/47a0d925b3127cce9854899a48800000003.jpg

Canadian Soldier(left) and American Soldier blown up in different countries, sharing the same water.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/Inconnu_2006/47a0d922b3127cce9854899c038a0000003.jpg
A kiss goodbye from a Veteran from another era.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/Inconnu_2006/47a0d922b3127cce9854896203740000003.jpg
Hangin' out between trips.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/Inconnu_2006/IMGP2275.jpg
Major Mark Campbell, presented with a Sage flyrod from Fish Tales Fly Shop in Calgary.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/Inconnu_2006/30152_10150212393880486_896705485_1.jpg
Okay, well we are working on the "who bites what" part of the training.

BobLoblaw
07-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the update; keep up the good work.
It's not really about fishing, is it???

DarkAisling
07-11-2010, 07:13 PM
It's not really about fishing, is it???

Is fishing ever really just about fishing? ;)

I love the photos!

A small donation is forthcoming on behalf of those who attended the Medicine Lake gathering. I'll be sending in some fly tying tools and materials at the same time. I'm in the process of trying to sift through all my stuff to filter out the unnecessary duplicates (of which there is quite a bit) for you :)

PHWFFC
07-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Nope not so much about the fishing that is for sure. We really appreciate any and all donations of money and equipment, in particular tying equipment.
I was following your Take a Vet Fishing thread and I sent Rob Viala a note.
I will talk to the Board and see if they would have any issue with bringing some Vets out to fish with you guys for a day, we could forgo fly fishing for that long I think. I am talking to Rob Viala about this and would really like to help you guys make that happen if you are up for it. I will approach the Board with it in early September when we are all back in the groove.
Thanks folks!

WayneChristie
07-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Keep up the good work, its nice to see our boys not being forgotten after making such sacrifices for their countries, north and south of the border.

Kingfisher
07-13-2010, 01:40 AM
Thanks for posting the update Kerry. In case the guys didn't know who was posting the first message, it is Project Healing Waters, President, Kerry Pitt.

Some of you here I have met. But in case you didn't know, I am the Rob Viala that he's talking about.

I did send you back a reply Kerry. I know the guys here that I've talked to are still very interested in making it happen. If we can get some guys together I think towards the end of September would be best. I am gone for the last 2 weeks in August and the first week of September to Alaska for some fishing.

Besides I think some time to get people organized is exactally what we were missing in the last try. The dates I was thinking about was either the 25th or 26th of September. That way most guys would be done with their summer holidays. All we would be looking at would be a one day deal. Not a whole weekend. I think if we start small and just have a one day outing then that might be the best way to get our feet wet with this idea.

Any feed back from you guys would be more than appreciated. So go right ahead and post your thoughts.

Cheers,
Rob

jts1
07-13-2010, 04:16 AM
Thanx for the PM Rob. Count this guy in for sure.