PDA

View Full Version : What should I buy and from who?

Rackman
07-12-2010, 07:03 AM
Hey guys i am going to depend on your knoledge for some advice, i have asked this question before but received so much conflicting advice i thought i would try again. What should i buy for my first rifle. I just did my pal test and now id like to buy a rifle, something good for deer (and something for gophers in down time) Im not adverse to a range unit either. What range should i join (edmonton)? I got my un restricted as well just for kicks so to own one i have to belong to a range so...
Thank you to all who will respond to this.:budo:

honda450
07-12-2010, 07:14 AM
For a deer rifle I would suggest a 708.

Gophers a Ruger 10/22.

My opinion. :)

7mmremmag
07-12-2010, 07:16 AM
For a first rifle I would pick a 30-06. For gophers like honda said .22

pintailslammer
07-12-2010, 07:23 AM
For Me if I was going to do it all over again,Handsdown 280. Got all theknock down power you'll need for deer moose and elk

Browning t-bolt 22

Pin

leo
07-12-2010, 07:51 AM
I would find the gun that fits proper and feels good , then see what it is chambered to . Anything from 243 to 30-06 would be suitable for deer. For small game a 22 hands down...Of course I have my preferences in guns, but that doesn't mean they are right for you.:)

Dmay
07-12-2010, 07:53 AM
i have asked this question before but received so much conflicting advice i thought i would try again.

Obviously, you're asking a subjective question, and can recieve as many different answers as people answering......
Decide what your needs are, then research and handle as many guns as possible and decide what suits you....perhaps you have friends who will let you shoot differnet caliber- and action- rifles.........enjoy shopping and learning....

FCLightning
07-12-2010, 08:37 AM
Find a rifle whose fit and feel you like when shooting it - find someone who has a bunch or find a bunch of friends who have a few. When you have picked the rifle you like, see which calibres it is chambered in and pick one of those for a deer rifle. Fit of the rifle is more important than calibre for Alberta deer.

timsesink
07-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Tough question! And also very subjective! For a first gun as said before stick to somethiong very versatile and simple, something like a T3, Xbolt, Savage in the 600-1000 range will last as long as you want. For caliber the 7mm Rem Mag, 270, 30-06, 308 would all be great choices. I shoot one rifle for big game an a-bolt meadllion in 7mm rem mag with a Leupold vx3 3-10, has taken elk, moose, deer and a few coyoyes. Best of luck!

Doo
07-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Tikka or Sako 3006 or .270

sourdough doug
07-12-2010, 12:32 PM
I think you meant to say -- "restricted as well", at least I hope so..

timba
07-12-2010, 12:36 PM
I shot a 30-06 for 20 years but got a .270 and like it alot better .22 for gophers

timba

HunterDave
07-12-2010, 12:40 PM
3006 for large game. Best versatility and easy to find, cheap ammo. Recoil might be an issue for a first rifle so if you find it too heavy then I'd say something a little lighter like a 243.

I'll say the Ruger 10/22 for gophers/plinking as well. Reasonably priced, reliable and accurate.

Great range in the Edmonton area is Genesse (SP?) out past Stony Plain. You can get a membership from CHAS. There's another one in Sherwood Park but I'm guessing that it would be allot busier because it's not as out of the way.

t/c 25-06
07-12-2010, 12:46 PM
for deer a savage 111 with scope is a great way to get into the market $430.00
at cabellas canada.

Canadiandad
07-12-2010, 01:11 PM

Gophers a Ruger 10/22.

That 708 deer rifle sounds like a doosy!! I would choose a .308 instead myself! :)

Canadiandad
07-12-2010, 01:13 PM
The guy sounds like a rookie. Probably should have said 7mm-08 instead of "708". We've got to help the newbies learn.

Okotokian
07-12-2010, 01:18 PM
The guy sounds like a rookie. Probably should have said 7mm-08 instead of "708". We've got to help the newbies learn.

LOL I'm awaiting the "newbie's" comeback with anticipation. :):acigar:

First gun? Probably want to avoid anything bigger than something in the non-magnum 300 class (30-06, .308, etc.). Anything between a .270 and that would be perfect. Find something that fits you and that you like. "This one looks and feels nice.... Oh, it's a .280? Sold".

walleyechaser
07-12-2010, 03:04 PM
get what you want, tikka, savage,winchester, weatherby ect all make good rifles up to you to pick which ever you can afford and which ever fits you best

honda450
07-12-2010, 04:49 PM

Thank you for your concern. Ya might want to spell check my posts too. :sign0176:

Jamie
07-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Ok.. Keep it simple.
30-06
Leupold scope

Remington
Winchester
Browning

Pick your poison....

This gun will do you for everything in North America.. Unless your talking about BIG BROWN BEARS. But thats up for discusion as well.

Dont cheap out and expect to spend about $1,500 to put this together.
Nothing wrong with picking up a second hand Leupold scope.

Jamie

Ormachek
07-12-2010, 05:57 PM
You're gonna want something with cheap, easily available ammo for deer. Something along the lines of .243, .270, .308, 30-06 or 30-30. I would take .270, .308, or 30-06(realistically, they all do the same thing).

ishootbambi
07-12-2010, 06:25 PM
i dont know where you are rackman, but when you decide what you want, i can help with the where to get it part. i can find you some stellar pricing when you are ready.

Bobby B.
07-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Few hunters wind up with just one rifle so you might as well play it smart right from the start. Any rifle that feels good to you, and is chambered for the 260 Rem or 25/06 would be an excellent choice for deer. It would also double for antelope should you decide later to kill some.

That same rifle would work well on moose as most are shot at close quarters in the bush. However, if you decide you want some more horsepower for killing moose, black bear and elk, then the 30/06, the 7 Rem Mag and the .300Winchester are excellent choices.

Recoil does affect the shooter, despite what many might proclaim. There's no sense in shooting a rifle with more horsepower than needed to get the job done. The less recoil, the better. All you really need is a deer rifle for deer, and a bigger rifle for everything else. By rifle, I don't mean the actual rifle itself but the cartridge it's chambered for.

Bobby B.

double gun
07-13-2010, 09:50 AM

Gophers a Ruger 10/22.

The first response = perfection.

Stinky Coyote
07-13-2010, 10:13 AM
whats your budget?

cartridge wise i would say .243, 25-06, 308, 270 or 30-06 would all be good choices, the .243 kicks the least and the 30-06 kicks the most...my .270 although boring was great cartridge with just the right amount of recoil to feel like a big boys gun but not too excess as to develop too many bad habits

you could end up with a couple guns pretty easy, if you don't plan on doing a lot of shooting with the big game gun then those H&R single shots lend well to big game hunting as you can learn to reload them pretty quick if need be but if your doing your part the one shot will be plenty....i keep thick elastics around the scope eyepiece and keep reloads tucked under the elastic so with a bit of practice you can really reload quick as your left hand stays on forend while right breaks action open and pulls shell (if extractor vs ejector, with ejector the shell just flies out of the way) and with short mere inches of hand movement your grabbing that round tucked under the eleastic of the scope and pull out and push into chamber, close action and pull hammer back as gun coming back up to face....sounds complicated but reality is you can hustle to almost bolt action speeds

and they are sooooo affordable, little blue loctite on scope base, and possibly free float from action screw forward or install o-ring over action screw hub are only things required to ensure top accuracy and easy to do little mods if doesn't shoot as tight as you want from get go,

on the .22 i would get a bolt action that handles 10 round magazines, i have a cheap savage that is crazy accurate, not fond of its feel but by golly it shoots good....you could get both guns and scoped....so whats your total budget right now?

t/c 25-06
07-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Ok.. Keep it simple.
30-06
Leupold scope

Remington
Winchester
Browning

Pick your poison....

This gun will do you for everything in North America.. Unless your talking about BIG BROWN BEARS. But thats up for discusion as well.

Dont cheap out and expect to spend about $1,500 to put this together.
Nothing wrong with picking up a second hand Leupold scope.

Jamie

Ya you best go out and spend $1500 on your first riffle cause you won't kill any thing with a entry level gun.

honda450
07-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Ya you best go out and spend $1500 on your first riffle cause you won't kill any thing with a entry level gun.

Say what?:snapoutofit:

Rantastic
07-13-2010, 11:32 AM

lol i agree, I have 3 rifles/scopes that cost less that $1500 all together and they kill more game than i know what to do with.

U dont have to buy a $1000 scope unless ur an old man with poor eyesight... or shooting 1000 yards... which i am sure u wont be for many years if ever as maybe only 0.5% of hunters ever work up to those distances.

HunterDave
07-13-2010, 12:31 PM

SAY WHAT? :sign0068: My ugly azzed Savage is as accurate and kills animals just as good as a $1500 pretty rifle. My advise would be the complete opposite as yours. Buy an "entry level" rifle like someone else mentioned as a package with a scope (ie. Savage 111) for approx $450, upgrade the scope the following year, and if you get the hunting bug then go out and buy a more expensive rifle. Put the good scope on the new rifle and put the packaged deal scope back on the Savage. Viola, you have a decent rifle for the first year and if hunting is for you and you decide to buy better equipment you can spread your purchases over a couple of years.

For your first rifle/year hunting I will second the suggestion on the package deal, "entry level" Savage 111 with the scope. Without knowing anything about you, I would go with a caliber that won't have as much recoil as bigger calibers, a 243 or 270 might be good choices.

If you are in the Edmonton area I have a Savage 111 in 3006 that you can try to see if the recoil is too heavy for you.:happy0034:

HunterDave
07-13-2010, 12:36 PM
I re-read your initial post and realized that you are in the Edmonton area. If you want to check out the Genesse Range and try my 3006 PM me and I'll meet you out there. I can sign you in but you'll have to pay a $3 to $5 guest fee. Cheers!

Jamie
07-13-2010, 02:06 PM
$1,500 is what you would spend to put together a entry level gun with a Leupold scope

Start adding in Rings, Sling, case and a few box's of ammo you will quickly get into that range.

Here are the prices for a simple Remington 700

MODEL 700 SPS STAINLESS $700

VX-II Leupold $400

So now we have hit $1,100 and we haven't mounted the scope, put a sling on it or fired a single shell.
So yah.. $1,500 is a ok budget.

You don't have to buy the most expensive gun out there.. But for gods sake don't buy the cheapest. Nothing wrong with a good middle of the road Remington with a Vx-11 mounted on it.

One of the things I have figured out after 26 years of doing this, is that DO NOT buy the least expensive. Spend the cash and your tools will last.
I use a simple arm guard for Bow hunting as a example. I couldn't justify spending $30 for a "High End" arm guard, so I bought the cheapo $10 one and replaced it 3 times before buying the $30 one that I still had up until the fire. STUPID STUPID ME!! LOLOLOLOL

Jamie

huntinstuff
07-13-2010, 03:40 PM
You should buy a Golden Eagle in 300 win mag........ from me.

:):):):)

huntinstuff
07-13-2010, 03:42 PM

check this out. Tikka T3 with Leupold. There's a good deal. And no, I do not know the seller:)
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=63839

FallAirFever
07-13-2010, 03:44 PM
I agree with what many on here have said. As far as chambering goes for what you are looking at hunting something in 7mm08, .270Win, .308Win or 30-06 are all good chioces with varying recoil. How recoil tollerant are you?? Get out to the gun shops and shoulder everything you can get your hands on to get a feel for them. Wholesale, Milarm, Phionex gun range and especially P and D in Edmonton to start. Finding a rifle that fits you is more important that what is stamped on the bottom of the shell casing IMHO. You have at least one offer to head to a range and try a gun, take the guy up on it, maybe a 30-06 has way more recoil than you want to deal with?? There may be others on here that will go there as well to let you have a test drive.

If you want to take a drive there is a place that is little patch of gun heaven called Bashaw sports in Bashaw just over an hour south of Edmonton it is worth the drive to go see this store the guys behind the gun counter there.

As far as price figure on doubling the cost of the bare bones rifle by the time you buy a scope, mount it, buy a sling, shells, case, targets, cleaning supplies...

For a decent "starter" scope maybe look at the Leupold Rifleman or a Bushnell Elite 3200, or something in that price range.

Good luck, let us know what you decide on, only a coulple months left before hunting season starts the sooner you make your decision, the better!

t/c 25-06
07-13-2010, 04:45 PM
Say what?:snapoutofit:

I can see that you boy's cant see the sarcasim in my post but if you look back you will see i suggested a savage package riffle that is an exellent entry level gun.

Rackman
07-13-2010, 06:59 PM
I am a rookie so all the advice is apreciated. Yes i did meam restricted. Im 230 lbs so recoil isnt an issue. Hunter dave thank you for the offer i might take you up on it. Can i rent some rifles there as well to try some out? Where is the genesee range?.
Thank you everyone else and yes i realize now that my question is a little general. I beleive i will go to a range and test some out. i have no friends that have rifles so.....

leo
07-13-2010, 07:09 PM

How much for de gun senior?

leo
07-13-2010, 07:14 PM
I am a rookie so all the advice is apreciated. Yes i did meam restricted. Im 230 lbs so recoil isnt an issue. Hunter dave thank you for the offer i might take you up on it. Can i rent some rifles there as well to try some out? Where is the genesee range?.
Thank you everyone else and yes i realize now that my question is a little general. I beleive i will go to a range and test some out. i have no friends that have rifles so.....

I happen to have a few kickin around you could try for fit and such, PM me if interested. Don't have a range membership so I don't know where to shoot them? How much money you thinking of spending?

Lefty
07-13-2010, 08:21 PM
I like the 7-08, 270, and 308 choices better than the others personally. The disadvantage of the 7-08 is that not everyone handles ammo for it. All the calibers mentioned will work good for deer. For getting factory ammo the 270 and 308 can be found everywhere. The 270 with 130 grain bullets can possibly be a handier caliber over the 308 if one wants to hunt coyotes over the winter. Their advantage over the 243 and 25-06 is that these calibers have heavier bullets which are more suitible for game bigger than deer. If you decide you want to go spring bear hunting all three are great calibers.

As for rifles the best buy for your dollar are the Savage/Stevens brand. The Stevens are kind of roughly finished but shoot incredible groups. The one I bought for my son shoots under 1" groups at 100 yards. Others who have them say theirs shoot very well too, often outperforming expensive custom rifles in the same gun cabinate. Going more expensive is fine too, but you don't have to spend a lot of money to get something that shoots great and will last you for years.

Good luck with your hunting!

ishootbambi
07-13-2010, 09:33 PM
I can see that you boy's cant see the sarcasim in my post but if you look back you will see i suggested a savage package riffle that is an exellent entry level gun.

without a giant neon sign with SARCASM in capital letters there will always be a few who miss it. :)

HunterDave
07-13-2010, 10:47 PM

I can't remember what I've read/wrote in a thread about a minute after I've read it. :dork:

HunterDave
07-13-2010, 10:48 PM

I can't remember what I've read/wrote in a thread about a minute after I've read it. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

FallAirFever
07-14-2010, 01:19 AM

Rack, I am pushing 240, the lightest I have been in years and trust me recoil can be an issue. Until you get behind the trigger and start squeezing some shots there is no way to tell how you will react to the punch in the shoulder and kaboom. Personally I have found 30-06 to be at the edge of what I like to shoot. Now you may be way different as far as this goes but dont assume and you dont need 300 mag to put a deer, elk, moose on the ground. If you can handle the recoil, great! But for a new shooter a lighter recoiling chambering may be a good idea.

As far as renting you maybe able to try different guns at Phionex gun range, I know the indoor range here in Calgary will let you try different firearms, might be worth a call.

Good Luck

Rackman
07-14-2010, 07:09 AM
Hello everyone,

I have never belonged to another web site that has as many members who are willing to share their knoledge (and even offered to share their rifles, leo, Hunterdave) more than the guys on this site, you all rule. Keep it up, with this kind of outpouring of support i dont know why you guys arent running out of space on here.

Rackman
07-14-2010, 07:14 AM
Im not sure what exactly my price range is just yet as i have way too many hobbies and have to sell some of my other stuff to fund a rifle, i think i would like to start with something second hand right off the bat so... I have a few things to trade though if you know anybody who would like a 200 lbs crossbow with quiver, bolts, cocking mech, Thumbhole in stock and so on. I have a ps3 with games and hdmi cable, speaker box mens mountain bike. Id trade my wife or even one of my kids (relax i have three i can spare one) for a new rifle.

HunterDave
07-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Im not sure what exactly my price range is just yet as i have way too many hobbies and have to sell some of my other stuff to fund a rifle, i think i would like to start with something second hand right off the bat so... I have a few things to trade though if you know anybody who would like a 200 lbs crossbow with quiver, bolts, cocking mech, Thumbhole in stock and so on. I have a ps3 with games and hdmi cable, speaker box mens mountain bike. Id trade my wife or even one of my kids (relax i have three i can spare one) for a new rifle.

Try posting something in the Buy and Sell section with WTT (want to trade).

Does your wife or any of your kids know how to clean/fillet fish and skin/butcher deer? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Rackman
07-14-2010, 12:30 PM
Both my girls know how to skin,gut and fillet fish. They started fishing at a very young age. They dont know how to dress a dear just yet as i just bought them their first bows this year (part of why i cant squeeze out another 1000 for a new rifle). The eldest (17) has no intention of killing and eating bambi but the young one (9) and i quote "never really liked bambi anyhow" really has no problem with it so she may go on her first bow hunt next year.

Rackman
07-14-2010, 12:31 PM
I would have to ask extra for the one who wants to hunt though. The wife i would throw in

Rantastic
07-14-2010, 01:43 PM
I would have to ask extra for the one who wants to hunt though. The wife i would throw in

Priceless!!!

Rackman
07-14-2010, 01:53 PM
The wife cant(wont) hunt a poor defensless deer with a gun or bow "it is soo unfair" i have often suggested she try hunting a black bear with a pocket knife to make it "fair" but as of yet she hasnt taken me up on it.

John Spartan
07-14-2010, 03:14 PM
You may also want to check out Canadian Gun Nutz (http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/). Besides having a decent Newbie section, it also has a hunting and sporting arms forum, hunting forum, and equipment exchange (you'll need to apply for access to this) that is bigger than what is offered here.

6.5 shooter
07-14-2010, 11:39 PM
And I just happen to know where you can get one :sHa_shakeshout: sorry can't take the wife in trade, mine would shoot me.....:thinking-006:

Jimboy
07-15-2010, 04:40 AM
only had 1 rifle in my 67 yrs , a husky in 270 cal , shot everything with it from deer to moose , for gophers , only got 1 gun for that too , cooey 22 repeater ,total cost maybe at this time 600 bucks therabouts.
ALL YA NEED , plus a pair of binos , mid end bushnells are fine , around 60 bucks.
Anything bigger and more money , your just showing off.

huntinstuff
07-15-2010, 06:51 AM
only had 1 rifle in my 67 yrs , a husky in 270 cal , shot everything with it from deer to moose , for gophers , only got 1 gun for that too , cooey 22 repeater ,total cost maybe at this time 600 bucks therabouts.
ALL YA NEED , plus a pair of binos , mid end bushnells are fine , around 60 bucks.
Anything bigger and more money , your just showing off.

:):):):sHa_shakeshout: Now THAT's funny stuff

4thredneck
07-15-2010, 07:50 AM
And I just happen to know where you can get one :sHa_shakeshout: sorry can't take the wife in trade, mine would shoot me.....:thinking-006:

Don't worry, just tie her up on the deck until she gets used to the new one....with all the rain we are getting it shouldn't take long.:grouphug:

Rackman
07-16-2010, 09:23 AM
You guys are all hilarious

Lonnie
07-16-2010, 05:28 PM
at the beginning of post some sugested pic a rifle that feels good that kind of works being that if it feels good it shuold be close to a propper fit and that is more important than cal. my wife shoots a 30-06 with no recoil problems she is abuot 5.2 tall 140lb. very short stock I'm 6ft and 240lb and it kicks the hell out of me. if the rifle does not fit properly it is hard to lean to shoot well 30-06 would be the best fist gun as it is agood all around gun from brush to praire 270 nice praire gun,308 nice bush gun. but getting one that fits is the most important.as most evry type of gun listed in post here are good but lean to hit were you want to is alot easer with a gun that fits. remember that you will not be shooting off a bench when hunting.